DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by miguex' post='684097' date='Oct 2 2008, 07:01 PM
That is a good point.

I think the scoop will work better running from 50 km/h..... I am not all sure or wrong but there are dynos with a big fan that measures the speed/wind.
If you already getting 15-18whp from 70mph fan from the scoop, imagine highway speed at 120+mph with scoop

Usually people who install the scoop notice a big different at speed 80+mph and the car keep pull harder and harder and speed climb
Old 10-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Keang24, does your car have OEM Intake Box or like AFE (with cone air filter)?

Tomorrow in the road to my workplace.. I will test the run in the highway with the version 1.2 (angled to 90 degrees) .... And will post here the results...
Old 10-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by miguex' post='684279' date='Oct 2 2008, 10:54 PM
Keang24, does your car have have OEM Intake Box or like AFE (with cone air filter)?

Tomorrow in the road to my workplace.. I will test the run in the highway with the version 1.2 (angled to 90 degrees) .... And will post here the results...
I have OEM box. The AFe like intake will always lost power on s85 engine, imo.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Contributors

OK, guys. I decided not to run the dyno/tests. After I researched about scoops and it is very debatable (from other forums as well). Gains or not. I don't care. I will keep my homemade scoops as a look like our wheels, spoiler, etc...

I know it is a personal taste. like or not.

Also I made this scoop to exit some extended air out (to radiator).

Let's close this tread. (Anyone who want make a homemade scoops, don't hesitate to post here, )

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2008, 07:12 AM
Contributors

Like or not... Gains or not.... I don't care! plus I am proud to make my scoop.

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2-bmw_project1_scoop_001.jpg

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2-bmw_project1_scoop_005.jpg

Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2-bmw_project1_scoop_002.jpg
Old 10-05-2008, 12:57 AM
Members

hey, Miguex

I like the look of the car & ur creativity!!!

I don't know Eloy or RPI scoop, but if it is still patent "pending" (or even if it is patented), I wish him good luck suing anyone for "inspired-by-RPI" homemade version.
It will take years and there's no guarantee of winning!!! especially international lawsuit? forget it!!!

Haven't you all seen fake chinese-made Ipod all over internet?
Haven't you seen fake Louis Vuitton bags???
Why do you think Apple and the French company can't stop them from producing & selling imitation fake crap?
(even fake 7 series on picture)

This is DIY forum, give this guy some credit for creativity!!
He has no intention of selling, & only throwing ideas here.....

p.s I am not a "NIRE"
Attached Thumbnails Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2-nire.jpg   Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2-car2.jpg  
Old 10-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

sort of reminds me of the non-M e60 cars out there with the M5 badge
Old 10-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by terry79z' post='685603' date='Oct 5 2008, 02:57 AM
hey, Miguex

I like the look of the car & ur creativity!!!

I don't know Eloy or RPI scoop, but if it is still patent "pending" (or even if it is patented), I wish him good luck suing anyone for "inspired-by-RPI" homemade version.
It will take years and there's no guarantee of winning!!! especially international lawsuit? forget it!!!

Haven't you all seen fake chinese-made Ipod all over internet?
Haven't you seen fake Louis Vuitton bags???
Why do you think Apple and the French company can't stop them from producing & selling imitation fake crap?
(even fake 7 series on picture)

This is DIY forum, give this guy some credit for creativity!!
He has no intention of selling, & only throwing ideas here.....

p.s I am not a "NIRE"

Thank you, Terry! Right! I made this scoop for my own use and never have the intention to sell. nothing else!.

Some guys don't understand what is DIY for.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by miguex' post='685717
FYI, I hope you have a dynamometer. More than likely you're LOSING power with the homemade scoop. Case in point, keang24 was outfitted with newer and bigger scoops for his M5. Soon thereafter, he did some highway pulls with another M5 and the results were most disappointing. When his M5 was dynoed, he had LOST 20rwhp. So, he put his original scoops back on and regained the 20rwhp. There is a science to making the ram air scoops and homemade ones aren't going to cut it. Good luck in your endeavor.
Until you dyno that thing and get some true numbers, it's merely for looks. Don't get me wrong, I do admire your dedication in your effort
Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

it's all marketing. dont get me wrong, i am sure they did lots R&D before finalizing the product but if I made a product with 5 minutes time and made it look very nice, would you spend big money on it? Absolutely not. Remember fluid dynamics and aerodynamics? both very similar concepts and we can picture with liquids a little easier. turbulent flow is not good. You want laminar flow. There's also transitional flow that's in between. In real world life, there's hardly any laminar flow. RPI designed so that there will be less pressure loss and try to pressure the air as much as possible through the tube. There's pressure loss due to friction at all times and with SO MANY 90 degree angles, it will create HUGE turbulent flows. Re=density*velocity*diameter/viscosity. Laminar flow: Re < 2000; Transitional flow: 2000 < Re < 4000; Turbulent flow: Re > 4000. The better the design for air gushing into the tube with more pressure (higher the pressure, the more force it has going through the turbulent flow around bends and friction), the more air it will go into the tube resulting in the air box. That's a main reason why it's angled at 90 degrees rather than 45 degrees. More pressure. This is why it wouldn't work at low speeds. it's useless. Now if there's a variable switch depending on the speed, the angle of the scoop changes, then we're talking but by then, why don't we just get a supercharger.

Quick Reply: Homemade Ram Scoop for e60! 545i version 1.2