Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 02:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loss of on-center feel along with road feel are the reasons I would not choose AS in the future. (Have not had a SW upgrade in sometime though)

Easy enough to live with though and don't really feel I have to readjust when I drive other cars.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:54 AM
Senior Members

Wow, wjen I originally posted the question I never thought the debate would get so heated!!

Well to add some more fuel to the fire, BMW took back the car with AS (which I had for a week) and replaced it with another loaner this time a 745i which does not have AS, I nonly know this because there is no AS warning light.

I say again what I said earlier I cant really tell the difference in cars with and cars without AS except when stationary there are much fewer turns lock to lock in the AS equipped cars.

The other extras which I dont have in my car are really great eg. Xenon, Nav, comfort seats etc. etc.

Streak
Old 02-12-2005, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535D

IMHO this discustion is similar to a discussion what is better manual, auto or smg.
I like AS and I can't imagine a car w/o AS anymore and the same refers to autobox
but there wud also be other oriented people and that is fine
Old 02-12-2005, 05:12 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

...tend to agree igor, this is quite subjective - each to their own...
Old 02-12-2005, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by colejl' date='Feb 11 2005, 10:24 AM
[quote name='wolverine' date='Feb 11 2005, 01:37 PM']Someone suggested what I think is a great idea.? That would be to have active steering switchable on-off, or even better, let the driver choose the right steering ratio for themselves.? You could use active steering for everyday driving, if you wanted to thow the car around you could switch it off, and choose a tight steering ratio, or if you're going to be doing a lot of highway driving you could just choose a wider ratio, or whatever felt best to you.? The technology they have today would allow this without any mechanical redesign, just software.? It's an interesting concept.
My suggestion, but it will never happen! BMW has had a enough grief about iDrive being complicated already...

Perhaps they'll open source one day...
[snapback]89020[/snapback]
[/quote]
Perhaps wolverine was to a conversation he and I had back in August 2004 where I suggested a similar thing...
Old 02-12-2005, 06:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW M-Power

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 12 2005, 12:04 AM
..........."Unfortunately I almost get in accidents when I drive my Lexus.? I forget i need to make more effort to turn my other car." - this is the part that is? dangerous and makes AS stupid to me.........
Hey WTF.... :winkcool:

LOL!!

Maybe its just me.... but it sure sounds like people agreeing w/ this statement have a serious "STUPITITY" problem.

Thnx for the entertainment fellas
Old 02-12-2005, 08:01 AM
Members

WTF? How about you learn how to drive a car and then you won't need AS to help you around the parking lot like a little old lady....

I have yet to see one person comment on why AS is better and how it helps their driving. That says a lot about AS..
Old 02-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

urbo, I guess we're not all as expert a driver as you claim to be...
Old 02-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

It's sort of weird, but I like it better than I used to. Makes the valet guys and your girlfriend want to curb your wheels. I'm not sure I'd pay 1.2k for it as a stand alone option. Of course, I still think navigation is silly too. Just get a road map. Maybe I'm "old school?"
Old 02-12-2005, 08:49 AM
Senior Members

Ok. AS is great b/c by reducing the amount of turning required at low speeds, it makes fast movements easy. For instance getting into a parking space or making quick turns into a driveway or low speed road are just a flick of the wheel. Makes the car feel much smaller than it is. Reminds me of an old MR2 that I test drove 15 years ago. But it is also a more relaxed high speed cruiser as it is not as twitchy as that same MR2. The countersteer at high speeds make emergency maneuvers more stable.

As far as high speed turns that change into low speed ones, I have never felt a problem. It is very natural to me. Just as grip changes as you slow down, you make adjustments. That being said I haven't noticed needing to correct somehow for the changing ratios.

I drive my car fairly hard (IMO) but I rarely turn DSC off. Maybe things would be different if I was sliding around a declining radius turn while slowing down.... In that instance it might be too much to correct for.

$1200 stand alone. I'd probably do it but I certainly understand those who wouldn't. AS and Dynamic drive were 2 things that made me increase my price ceiling to get into a 5 series. Logic 7 and comfort seats just sealed it.

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?