5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/)
-   -   Active steering worth the money? (https://5series.net/forums/dealer-purchasing-service-forum-23/active-steering-worth-money-7161/)

streak 02-10-2005 02:16 AM

I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

If not for this light I would not have any idea that the car had this option.

Steering feels the same as in my car regardless of driving conditions.

Am I missing something here or is this option really worth the money?

Streak

swajames 02-10-2005 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 04:16 AM
I have been given another 530D loaner while mine without active steering is in the shop. I noticed after driving for a few days that there was an indicator symbol that came on on startup and the manual said that it was the active steering check.

Streak
[snapback]88516[/snapback]

I have active steering on my 545 and really like it - you really notice it during low speed manoeuvers (parking lot etc) when the steering ratio is at its highest level. Doesn't take any effort to quickly go from lock to lock and it helps when steering into tight spaces. At freeway speeds it feels fine. That said, this is my first BMW so I haven't had much experience with the non-active steering cars so I'm not the most qualified to give an opinion but I like it and am glad I have it.

colejl 02-10-2005 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by streak' date='Feb 10 2005, 11:16 AM

If it has got Active Steering you should notice the difference! Especially at low speeds the amount of steering wheel turning is vastly reduced... What is the lock-to-lock of the wheel? (I believe it's much smaller on AS cars)

Although, I have heard of people saying they couldn't tell the difference! (This was the salesman at my dealership) :teehee:

New535 02-10-2005 04:13 AM

For what its worth - I have test driven a few cars with AS and found it almost accident inducing - I have no doubt that it was because I wasn't used to it, but quick manoeuvers in traffic can be quite frightening as you end up turning much more than you expected.

I can imagine that over a period of time it would be something that one got used to and then couldn't live without - for myself, however, I can't say I am that fussed about turning the steering wheel that bit more - it certainly isn't worth an extra ?700 for me.

JDN 02-10-2005 04:35 AM

IMO, it is not "accident inducing" unless you refer to being able to corner more sharply at low speeds "accident inducing." What AS does is give you much better control over a two ton vehicle than you could possibly have otherwise. When I get into a vehicle today wo AS, I am immediately impressed with all of the arm exercise I am getting.

ipp 02-10-2005 04:52 AM

I would say it's a must-have. I've tried a 5er w/o both AS and Servotronic. But never tried one with just Servotronic. Mayby thats enough.

Hormazd 02-10-2005 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 10 2005, 06:35 AM
IMO, it is not "accident inducing" unless you refer to being able to corner more sharply at low speeds "accident inducing." What AS does is give you much better control over a two ton vehicle than you could possibly have otherwise. When I get into a vehicle today wo AS, I am immediately impressed with all of the arm exercise I am getting.
[snapback]88534[/snapback]

Right on. Its nothing that hampers the drive. You notice it most in cars that do not have it.

mcorliss 02-10-2005 06:51 AM

Active Steering is simply fantastic. It allows you to have racecar-like steering response around town without being twitchy at high speeds. I would definitely get it again and would go so far to say that I wouldn't buy a car again without it.

Although I said the same thing about AWD, yet here I am driving a RWD 545i.

Note to BMW: Make AWD available on all models a la Mercedes.

KenTO 02-10-2005 06:52 AM

BMWs always have had great steering and road feel. The only complaint I have is that for some AS diminishes road feel. It is useful for low speed, but how hard are parking manouveres, anyway? I remember in the 3 series a few years ago that BMW made the steering lighter because some people (mostly women) said that the steering wheel was hard to turn in slow speed situations. The problem was that it hurt the feel of the steering at higher speeds. Enough people complained about the new steering that BMW went back to the old ways. Perhaps AS is a compromise of both.

Try both, but I feel the car handles great without it.

Breae60 02-10-2005 07:00 AM

AS is worth is if you gotta turn quick, parrallel park, and are int tight areas. AS doesn't require much effort.