Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 12 2005, 06:01 PM
WTF? How about you learn how to drive a car and then you won't need AS to help you around the parking lot like a little old lady....

I have yet to see one person comment on why AS is better and how it helps their driving. That says a lot about AS..
[snapback]89420[/snapback]

urbo, it's a gadget that makes it easier. That's all.
I know how to drive and love AS, because if I want to drive like a race driver I go on track in another car. The 5series is no sports car, as you mentioned earlier. It is sporty, but no sports car. So you are not taking it on track. It is for daily use. Therefore AS is a great feature that makes it easier for you.

It is not a stupid/silly feature. period.

You may not like it. That's fine. Your opinion.

And don't tell others they need to learn how to drive!

Originally Posted by Dantheman' date='Feb 12 2005, 09:41 PM
To me it s a gadget...anybody knows why the M5 doesn t have it?
[snapback]89459[/snapback]

The M5 has a different set up that fits waaaay better into a sports car (not the regular steering from the E60).
Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 PM

I absolutely love the active steering and can really feel the difference. There is a very quick feel to it and I am spoiled now. When I drive my wife's Acura I feel like the steering is unresponsive.

To me, the three features that give me the biggest kick in this car are active steering, SMG and roll stabilization.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 13 2005, 12:44 AM
I absolutely love the active steering and can really feel the difference.? There is a very quick feel to it and I am spoiled now.? When I drive my wife's Acura I feel like the steering is unresponsive.

To me, the three features that give me the biggest kick in this car are active steering, SMG and roll stabilization.
[snapback]89633[/snapback]
Forgot to log on. That was me up there.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530e G30
Model Year: 2017

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]
Originally Posted by Zaphod' date='Feb 13 2005, 01:45 AM
I absolutely love the active steering and can really feel the difference.? There is a very quick feel to it and I am spoiled now.? When I drive my wife's Acura I feel like the steering is unresponsive.

[snapback]89633[/snapback]
I fully agree.

AS : fantastic , when I drive other cars I really note the difference and I appreciate AS more and more.

Dynamic Drive (Roll stab): superlative

Comfort seats and Bluetooth : inalienable
Old 02-13-2005, 03:46 AM
Members

My Ride: coming in March 530d touring individual, messing metallic, platino extended leather, piano black interior trim, M-sport packet, head up display, navigation professional, logic 7, active steering, CD changer, Bluetooth, packet light, adaptive and xenon lights, PDC, heated seats, packet mirrors, panorama sunroof, alarm, automatic rear door

In Czech and Germany if you take M sport packet, you can not order dynamic drive.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:06 AM
Contributors

Nice to see a bit of a heated discusion on this board, though I draw the line at name calling.

The thread was " is A/S worth the money " , not sure that was addressed per say.
My thoughts were that A/S would have been better suited bundled in a Premium Package not the Sport Package. It seemed to me to be more of a luxury option then a pure preformance option.
I must say that the the standard rack-n-pinion steering is very good, and surpasses the standard steering in the Audi, MB, Infiniti, and lexas I test drove. So to that I say the A/S stand alone option wasn't worth the 1200.00 upcharge on the European market to me.

Here in the US it wasn't ( till now ) a stand alone option, and was included in Sports pack.
Maybe it was the combination of the Run Flat tires, A/S , and piss poor Cleveland roads that made me shy away from Sports Pack as it was presented. When testing the 545 w/o SP it was night and day for me. It suited my style of driving better , seemed to fit the conditions of the roads I would be driving, that added 100 hp over the 3L I6 was intoxicating, what power.

And to my supprise the 17" All Season wheels and tires have worked very well this winter season. I will install a nice set of larger wheels and preformance tires ( non run flat ) this spring, as I feel the added grip is needed on the standard non-S/P setup, I hope this will dial my car in
better for my personal needs.

Again it is great that BMW offers us a choice, though BMWNA limits it a bit.

DR.Z
Old 02-13-2005, 07:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

YES!!! ACTIVE STEERING IS WORTH EVERY DIME/CENT/YEN

i have a C class W203 - now, after driving my e60 for a while - i find the setup in the merc VERY VERY HEAVY & UNWIELDY.

i think i may be stuck! cannot drive a non-bmw without active steering from henceforth.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 12 2005, 09:14 PM
urbo, it's a gadget that makes it easier. That's all.
I know how to drive and love AS, because if I want to drive like a race driver I go on track in another car. The 5series is no sports car, as you mentioned earlier. It is sporty, but no sports car. So you are not taking it on track. It is for daily use. Therefore AS is a great feature that makes it easier for you.

It is not a stupid/silly feature. period.

You may not like it. That's fine. Your opinion.

And don't tell others they need to learn how to drive!
Period? That's your opinion. I still think it's quite silly and stupid. It doesn't make anything easier.. I WILL tell people what I think. OK? Cheap insults deserve the type of responses they get. If you need AS to drive then you've got issues. PERIOD!

It's one thing to like it or not, but don't come tell me it's necessary unless you are an expert driver, and take a cheap shot at me (not you). If anything AS is a distraction. As is adaptive cruise control, etc. Just becasuse the E60 is more of a luxury car, doesn't mean you should rely and use all these silly gadgets. Luxury now seems to imply less input from the driver which is more dangerous IMO. That's not my definition of luxury.. That's my definition of stupidity. PERIOD! BMW's - luxury or sports should be DRIVER's cars. If you have a hard time turning the steering wheel, then...
Old 02-13-2005, 08:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' date='Feb 13 2005, 12:32 PM
YES!!! ACTIVE STEERING IS WORTH EVERY DIME/CENT/YEN

i have a C class W203 - now, after driving my e60 for a while - i find the setup in the merc VERY VERY HEAVY & UNWIELDY.

i think i may be stuck! cannot drive a non-bmw without active steering from henceforth.
[snapback]89693[/snapback]
More to my point. This lame AS is making it hard for people to drive other cars it seems. This is the 2nd example in this thread at least..
Old 02-13-2005, 08:11 AM
JDN
Contributors

Do you have AS, urbo73?

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?