Dealer Purchasing & Service Forum What's your dealers sales and service department like? Post finance and lease questions here too.

Active steering worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by urbo73' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:25 AM
I see you guys are still dwelling on this. It's nice to take quotes out of context. How about putting the whole context there:

"I love it.? Can't do without it.? Unfortunately I almost get in accidents when I drive my Lexus.? I forget i need to make more effort to turn my other car."

"I love being able to drive with only one hand."

"Teriyaki"

ME: "Sorry, but a perfect example why AS is S T U P I D. Lazy people... Christ!"

What's so hard to understand from that? I called this particular person lazy and dangerous for what he said. Almost get into accidents? Love to drive with one hand? What is this!? Seriously!

And there are others who do the same - I've seen them. My friend included with his 545i. Hence "lazy people" - driving with one hand with the help of AS - to me it's stupid. Sorry it's so damn hard to understand. So stop trying to make it sound like I called everyone on this board with AS lazy. I was refering in general. YOU are draggin this thread on for more than it should. YOU are the problem. I tried to diffuse it towards the end, but here you are back at it. STOP trying to antagonize me, even if it's for kicks. Take your own advice and stop it. I know you like to have the last word so go ahead.
[snapback]90247[/snapback]
With "Sorry, but a perfect example why AS is S T U P I D. Lazy people... Christ!" you were not saying HE is stupid for driving with one hand. You said AS is stupid, ppl are lazy.
With "AS is lame - sorry!" you were not saying that this is your opinion, you were making it a fact. Of course it is your opinion and no fact, but I said it earlier, the way you say things in your posts can easily be misunderstood.
"how lazy are people getting?", well how lazy are you that you have a car. You could walk or take a bicycle instead...
And here is another perfect example why and how this started, comments like this:
"Take your own advice and stop it. I know you like to have the last word so go ahead."
"I tried to diffuse it towards the end" as well as I did.
"YOU are the problem", excuse me, Sir. WHO?
Old 02-14-2005, 06:24 PM
JDN
Contributors

Warning. Foglights. Foglights. Foglights. :'(
Old 02-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Feb 15 2005, 04:24 AM
Warning. Foglights. Foglights. Foglights.? :'(
[snapback]90257[/snapback]
Nope.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:41 PM

Opinions are just that "opinions". That makes every single one an individual.

I agree with Iceman that certain people have certain ways of writing that can cause misunderstanding. But once understood, just let it be ...
Old 02-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Gentlemen, Gentlemen.
This thread, which I started quite innocently has become quite out of hand.
I had the luxury of driving a car with options that mine did not have these included NAV, Xenon, PDC, AS, comfort seats, Logic 7 and many more. I then looke d at the options price list and tried to decide that if I were to buy another car which options were worth the money and which were not.
I felt that unlike some of the other options, although you would use the AS every time you drove the car I could not feel a whole lot of difference in the cars with vs. the cars without AS hence I would not choose it as an option. That's all!!

One could take any of the other options and start taking people apart for choosing them. That's not why we have this great forum.

If there is anything else you need to vent about perhaps use the PM facility so that other readers interested in the topic dont have to read through all of the personal attacks to finds the answers!!

Now more importantly, I am tired of driving this 745i and want my 530D back. Three weeks in the shop to have the DDE (diesel equivalent of DME) module replaced seems a liitle crazy.

Cheers from sunny South Africa.

Streak
Old 02-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

In Canada, we are able to order the Dynamic Handling Package (which is Active Steering and Dynamic Drive) without ordering the Sports Package. We can also order standalone Dynamic Drive (but can't order the Active Steering standalone) ...

I have order them all, Sport Package and the Dynamic Handling Package, but I have a concern ... my wife is a good driver, but not a great driver! She will drive the new 5er some of the time and will drive her on SUV other times (which as we all know does not have Active Steering) ... my question is, will she have a hard time dealing with the two steerling systems (active and non in her SUV)? She has tried a bend the SUV around a piller before (without any luck ) ...

Because of this, would you recommend that I change my order from Sport Package with the Dynamic Handling Package to the Sport Package with Dynamic Drive?
Old 02-15-2005, 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Canada545' date='Feb 15 2005, 08:44 AM
In Canada, we are able to order the Dynamic Handling Package (which is Active Steering and Dynamic Drive) without ordering the Sports Package.? We can also order standalone Dynamic Drive (but can't order the Active Steering standalone) ...

I have order them all, Sport Package and the Dynamic Handling Package, but I have a concern ... my wife is a good driver, but not a great driver! She will drive the new 5er some of the time and will drive her on SUV other times (which as we all know does not have Active Steering) ... my question is, will she have a hard time dealing with the two steerling systems (active and non in her SUV)?? She has tried a bend the SUV around a piller before (without any luck? ) ...

Because of this, would you recommend that I change my order from Sport Package with the Dynamic Handling Package to the Sport Package with Dynamic Drive?
[snapback]90395[/snapback]
My wife drives a minivan 90% of the time and doesn't have any trouble adapting to active steering when using my car - she really likes it.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Feb 14 2005, 07:44 PM
[quote name='urbo73' date='Feb 15 2005, 03:25 AM']I see you guys are still dwelling on this. It's nice to take quotes out of context. How about putting the whole context there:

"I love it.? Can't do without it.? Unfortunately I almost get in accidents when I drive my Lexus.? I forget i need to make more effort to turn my other car."

"I love being able to drive with only one hand."

"Teriyaki"

ME: "Sorry, but a perfect example why AS is S T U P I D. Lazy people... Christ!"

What's so hard to understand from that? I called this particular person lazy and dangerous for what he said. Almost get into accidents? Love to drive with one hand? What is this!? Seriously!

And there are others who do the same - I've seen them. My friend included with his 545i. Hence "lazy people" - driving with one hand with the help of AS - to me it's stupid. Sorry it's so damn hard to understand. So stop trying to make it sound like I called everyone on this board with AS lazy. I was refering in general. YOU are draggin this thread on for more than it should. YOU are the problem. I tried to diffuse it towards the end, but here you are back at it. STOP trying to antagonize me, even if it's for kicks. Take your own advice and stop it. I know you like to have the last word so go ahead.
[snapback]90247[/snapback]
With "Sorry, but a perfect example why AS is S T U P I D. Lazy people... Christ!" you were not saying HE is stupid for driving with one hand. You said AS is stupid, ppl are lazy.
With "AS is lame - sorry!" you were not saying that this is your opinion, you were making it a fact. Of course it is your opinion and no fact, but I said it earlier, the way you say things in your posts can easily be misunderstood.
"how lazy are people getting?", well how lazy are you that you have a car. You could walk or take a bicycle instead...
And here is another perfect example why and how this started, comments like this:
"Take your own advice and stop it. I know you like to have the last word so go ahead."
"I tried to diffuse it towards the end" as well as I did.
"YOU are the problem", excuse me, Sir. WHO?
[snapback]90250[/snapback]
[/quote]

I was making my statement insupport of AS and said I loved being able to drive with one hand (being able to make turn with one hand). He took that as I drive with one hand all the time. Misinterpretation of my post. THen he called me "lazy.....Christ!." Had he said i shouldn't drive with one hand going 135 MPH i'd be fine with it. Choice of his words was poor.

Teriyaki
Old 02-15-2005, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Can we get rid of this thread? There are more civilized discussions on AS in other threads without all this vitriolic diatribe. While I agree that such terms as "can't live without it" or "I love it" do little to explain the benefits of AS many have contributed. The fact that some do not like AS, found subjective and objective reasons and include those comments is also welcomed to those of us trying to make buying decisions. But this continual sniping is not what I had come to expect and admire about E60.net. IMO this thread should be canned.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 AM
Members

Lighten up! It's only a thread. No harm has been done. People need to relax a bit. e60.net is a fine forum. People just sometimes (myself included) get into heated arguments that may appear or be silly. No biggie. These is the exception here - not the rule. But in the end it's all in good fun if you ask me. It's OK IMO to have these threads here and there. There is some humour here too. It's not the end of the world. Nobody is out to get anybody!

Quick Reply: Active steering worth the money?