The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...
View Poll Results: 997 Transmission Choice
Manual
52.38%
Automatic
30.95%
Wait one year for Sequential
16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

About to order 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edit: nevermind
Old 06-06-2006, 12:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='291196
Regarding the GT3 i think you're making a mistake since you're buying the porsche as a second car, as your sports car. If i were you i would go straight for the new GT3 RS and keep my 535d and have the best out of both worlds. Turbo is less fun for a second car than the GT3.
I think this is just a question of how 'hardcore' you like you sports cars. I don't think you can argue that the 997 turbo is anything other than a 'sports car', but undeniably the GT3 is a little bit more 'mental'.

That's going to be fun on the track, but maybe not on a sunday afternoon trip.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='293171' date='Jun 6 2006, 11:41 AM
Excellent call - I think the sequential would be the faster car, but the manual will be a lot of fun - and why wait for that
I think this is just a question of how 'hardcore' you like you sports cars. I don't think you can argue that the 997 turbo is anything other than a 'sports car', but undeniably the GT3 is a little bit more 'mental'.

That's going to be fun on the track, but maybe not on a sunday afternoon trip.
It depends on what you understand by trip...trip to Alaska? Sure...
Trip through town, on good tarmac and light traffic streets? Trip to a good freeway? trip to a mountain sweaping road? trip to the racetrack? All those and many more are imo in the favor of the GT3 imo. Of course everyone understands a 2nd hardcore car in his own way...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:57 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='291992' date='Jun 3 2006, 12:48 PM
(m630:

...actually, you should read the latest Motor Trend article on the 997 Turbo where the bigs from Porsche said that the new DSG variant is being delayed at least 2 more years as they are having major problems in testing the tranny due to the power output of the new engine...he goes on to speak on how great the auto is and that it is a better fit for the car than even the 6MT...)

(Bettermakeway:

I belive this also...)

There have been contradicting articles on the subject. For instance, a writer in a german magazine found the tip to be too boring (and the exhaust note too btw) and said the manual was the only way to go with this sporstcar. Among the issues with the tip is where you upshift and downshift: it has + and - buttons on EACH side of the steering wheel, as opposed to paddles, or even + on one side and - on the other. Imagine approaching a tight curn and having to search for the -, if in manual mode. Another is that the tip is 5 speed, so at high speeds because of gearing the manual is faster. In fact, the manual was faster on the ring.

This car will be my sportscar, it will not be my GT. The Gt3 is just too much sport and if I was looking for a GT i might be considering the M6 instead. So I just want a sporty turbo. It will not be my daily driver. Finally, I did not want to make a big mistake on the transmission choice with such an expensive car. Think of it as playing it safe apart from the reasons mentioned above (enjoyment, ergonomics, and possibly later resale).
...i hear ya, and it is all personal preference because the car and the power is going to be amazing either choice, ...i must admit that the 911 is my favorite car of all times, and one day i will have some variant...but im wondering if you have driven a step/tip type tranny for any period of time??? For the past 6+ years I've been driving Steps ( e46 for 5 1/2 years, and now my e63 for ~6+ months) and for me the step(TIP) would absolutely be the best way to go (given the no DSG variant available)...those that say the car with this type of tranny is boring is full of sh*t! IMHO, ....with my step, i drive mostly in Manual mode and do all the shifting myself, only leaving the auto mode for NYC type traffic....the car and the response is completely interactive just as a manual would be, though you dont need to physically clutch....i do not feel any less in control than i have in the past driving 5speeds, so this is purely a preference IMHO...sports car or daily drive, you are still going to drive the car in NY, correct? and you should take that into consideration.... i would just say to test drive a TIP car (even if its not the turbo version) and see what you think...i beleive it has as much interaction as required and even more....its nice when you can use your left foot to man the brake and the right for the gas...i've taken my years of developing my left foot and now still drive with both legs, but i use the left for braking and get a tiny advantage in certain driving situations by this development.... either choice is going to be great, and hopefully when you get it we can meet up and see the monster up close....good luck
Old 06-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Senior Members

m630,

I own an E39 with step and I must say that they are fun... but in my view they do have their disadvantages: 1. They sometimes don't hold a gear when you want them to. 2. They upshift for you if you get close to the limiter. 3. When you downshift you only feel a surge (although not so much if you accelerate a bit when you downshift), but you still don't get a downshift blip- to match revs. 4. In manual mode they sometimes feel slugish... at least in my E39 it would sometimes not upshift right away when I pressed the lever while driving hard. Of course, the last should have improved with time (CIP V##). Once you have driven an SMG type transmission, these nuisances become more evident (reason why it is a real pity they did not release DSG or variant on time). I am in upstate NY, so I do not encounter traffic to the extreme of NYC. Maybe, when reporters described the car as being boring, they were refering that for a car of such caliber, the drive should be more engaging, even in the transmission (after all you do not want your 911 supercar to feel like an XX AMG). They are after all comparing the car to the F430 and so forth, so they are expecting a rollercoaster ride.

The engineers claim the tip is much improved in the 911 and it has had many of these problems deleted (it holds gears longer, when you brake hard it downshifts for you, expecting you to accelerate right away, etc.). If you are a firm believer in Auto transmissions, then there is no better time for you . But personally, I am in love with sequential transmissions. I do wonder though why porsche devoted "so much" time into reasearch (and improvement) of the tip if they were planning on introducing their DSG. They should have had some MAJOR issues with the development/reliability of the same. I am sure this car will be enjoyable all the same! As things get more and more expensive, you do have to be more critical. The wait is torture!

Originally Posted by m630' post='293859' date='Jun 7 2006, 09:57 AM
...i hear ya, and it is all personal preference because the car and the power is going to be amazing either choice, ...i must admit that the 911 is my favorite car of all times, and one day i will have some variant...but im wondering if you have driven a step/tip type tranny for any period of time??? For the past 6+ years I've been driving Steps ( e46 for 5 1/2 years, and now my e63 for ~6+ months) and for me the step(TIP) would absolutely be the best way to go (given the no DSG variant available)...those that say the car with this type of tranny is boring is full of sh*t! IMHO, ....with my step, i drive mostly in Manual mode and do all the shifting myself, only leaving the auto mode for NYC type traffic....the car and the response is completely interactive just as a manual would be, though you dont need to physically clutch....i do not feel any less in control than i have in the past driving 5speeds, so this is purely a preference IMHO...sports car or daily drive, you are still going to drive the car in NY, correct? and you should take that into consideration.... i would just say to test drive a TIP car (even if its not the turbo version) and see what you think...i beleive it has as much interaction as required and even more....its nice when you can use your left foot to man the brake and the right for the gas...i've taken my years of developing my left foot and now still drive with both legs, but i use the left for braking and get a tiny advantage in certain driving situations by this development.... either choice is going to be great, and hopefully when you get it we can meet up and see the monster up close....good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 08:40 AM
Contributors

...i agree too, the waiting is the hardest part!!! ...i too would like squential as the best option...i was going to look to go SMG on my 6er, but since its not the same as the SMGIII on the new M-cars, i choose to stick with the more reliable step...i will say im sure you would be pleasantly suprised at how much improvement has been done to is since the E39 version...with the 'sport button', the exceleration is amazing for such a big car, and the tranny does seriously hold the gears now..in sport mode with just normal pedal inputs, it will hold till at least 3-4K RPMS, and with any agressive inputs it will go into the 5-6K range, in sport/manual it will only upshift at about red line now...im guessing the P - Tip version would be similar to my step given the car and the reviews of it being as fast if not faster than the MT....i too am wondering what happened at Porsche that they dont have the dsg variant available yet...it really leaves a big gap...in stories i read a few months back from P insiders, they had noted that they originally were NOT planning to offer the TIP and they actually didnt newly develop it, its updated from the 996 and is still only 5 speed, not 6...from the story, it said that P wanted to only offer the DSG variant or the 6MT, but when the DSG continued to breakdown with the power outputs of the 997, P rushed to get the TIP to be used...still very strange why they couldnt get it right in the time that they had, especially as Audi is touting how great it is.....

i have my car for another 3+ years, and at that time i will again agonize over whether to stay with BMW or go to a 911...depends on what BMW does in terms of this new sports car that are talking about, and also i am keeping my eye on the Panamera to see what comes out of that, though i would not consider it if as some rumors have noted, that they would be looking for $125K for it....if that was the case Id go for an M5 if I want 4-doors, but most likely i'll stay with 2 doors and maybe some 911 variant vs the 6er replacment.....keep me up to date as to when you get it, hopefully we can meet up