The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...
View Poll Results: 997 Transmission Choice
Manual
52.38%
Automatic
30.95%
Wait one year for Sequential
16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

About to order 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(m630:

...actually, you should read the latest Motor Trend article on the 997 Turbo where the bigs from Porsche said that the new DSG variant is being delayed at least 2 more years as they are having major problems in testing the tranny due to the power output of the new engine...he goes on to speak on how great the auto is and that it is a better fit for the car than even the 6MT...)

(Bettermakeway:

I belive this also...)

There have been contradicting articles on the subject. For instance, a writer in a german magazine found the tip to be too boring (and the exhaust note too btw) and said the manual was the only way to go with this sporstcar. Among the issues with the tip is where you upshift and downshift: it has + and - buttons on EACH side of the steering wheel, as opposed to paddles, or even + on one side and - on the other. Imagine approaching a tight curn and having to search for the -, if in manual mode. Another is that the tip is 5 speed, so at high speeds because of gearing the manual is faster. In fact, the manual was faster on the ring.

This car will be my sportscar, it will not be my GT. The Gt3 is just too much sport and if I was looking for a GT i might be considering the M6 instead. So I just want a sporty turbo. It will not be my daily driver. Finally, I did not want to make a big mistake on the transmission choice with such an expensive car. Think of it as playing it safe apart from the reasons mentioned above (enjoyment, ergonomics, and possibly later resale).
Old 06-03-2006, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

From a post in another forum:

"997 Turbo drive impression from EVO. In short-very fast, excellent stability and traction. Awsome with manual gearbox, grear drive control and interaction. TIP-not involving at all, fast, but kills all the fun... Driver involvment is not "there" with TIP.
All in all, awsome car but, too polished(in TIP version)...
4 stars because of TIP... "
Old 06-03-2006, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='291992' date='Jun 3 2006, 07:48 PM
(m630:

...actually, you should read the latest Motor Trend article on the 997 Turbo where the bigs from Porsche said that the new DSG variant is being delayed at least 2 more years as they are having major problems in testing the tranny due to the power output of the new engine...he goes on to speak on how great the auto is and that it is a better fit for the car than even the 6MT...)

(Bettermakeway:

I belive this also...)

There have been contradicting articles on the subject. For instance, a writer in a german magazine found the tip to be too boring (and the exhaust note too btw) and said the manual was the only way to go with this sporstcar. Among the issues with the tip is where you upshift and downshift: it has + and - buttons on EACH side of the steering wheel, as opposed to paddles, or even + on one side and - on the other. Imagine approaching a tight curn and having to search for the -, if in manual mode. Another is that the tip is 5 speed, so at high speeds because of gearing the manual is faster. In fact, the manual was faster on the ring.

This car will be my sportscar, it will not be my GT. The Gt3 is just too much sport and if I was looking for a GT i might be considering the M6 instead. So I just want a sporty turbo. It will not be my daily driver. Finally, I did not want to make a big mistake on the transmission choice with such an expensive car. Think of it as playing it safe apart from the reasons mentioned above (enjoyment, ergonomics, and possibly later resale).
According to Porsche tip and manual 997 turbo has the same top speed or m i missing smth out?!?

In a way i don't think it's that terrible. Changin gear, regardless of any transmission should be done BEFORE entering the corner, and not in the corner while you may fight with the steering wheel...so no problems there if u ask me. Also the car has the variable ratio power steering so the problem is solved even more.

ALSO: Please point the facts that Manual was faster on the Ring than Tiptronic. I've read the opposite on a porsche forum...i don't seem to find the thread now...when one guy got the times of the Ring and Tip was faster than Manual and get this...997 turbo was faster than the 997 GT3 by 1-2 seconds if i recall and 0.smth than Carrera GT. I remained like (at least on paper with the tiptronic you can at least equal the carrera gt 0-100km/h). It's still a mistery to me how did the manage to get the tiptronic faster than the manual. And at 200km/h 0.6 seconds faster. AND smth tells me that if you wana tune it to say 550-600bhp tiptronic will be your friend.

Regarding the GT3 i think you're making a mistake since you're buying the porsche as a second car, as your sports car. If i were you i would go straight for the new GT3 RS and keep my 535d and have the best out of both worlds. Turbo is less fun for a second car than the GT3.

But now reading the porsche forums i'm all wet again expecting the new 997 GT2 wich i think it will make me absolutley nuts when it will come out, and start thinking of selling...ALOT
Old 06-04-2006, 01:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='292132
ALSO: Please point the facts that Manual was faster on the Ring than Tiptronic. I've read the opposite on a porsche forum...i don't seem to find the thread now...when one guy got the times of the Ring and Tip was faster than Manual and get this...997 turbo was faster than the 997 GT3 by 1-2 seconds if i recall and 0.smth than Carrera GT. I remained like (at least on paper with the tiptronic you can at least equal the carrera gt 0-100km/h). It's still a mistery to me how did the manage to get the tiptronic faster than the manual. And at 200km/h 0.6 seconds faster. AND smth tells me that if you wana tune it to say 550-600bhp tiptronic will be your friend.
Here is a link on an article with the following quote:

"The manual saves some face, though, with test driver Rohrl noting that the self-shifter is three seconds faster around Nurburgring, thanks largely to the extra ratio on offer."

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetai...leID=11917&vf=2

Additionally, the manual is offered with the optional Limited Slip Differential (as the M5), which provides for better traction. On that article I believe they also explain why the auto is faster (from 0-100 (brake torquing) and how it is able to retain some boost pressure within the gear changes). But do remember that the auto is just 5 gears, vs 6 in the manual. Have you seen how useful it is for the M5 to have 7 gears instead of 6?
Old 06-04-2006, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='292229' date='Jun 4 2006, 12:42 PM
They do have the same topseed, but with a sixth gear, the limiting speed is reached faster in the manual.
Here is a link on an article with the following quote:

"The manual saves some face, though, with test driver Rohrl noting that the self-shifter is three seconds faster around Nurburgring, thanks largely to the extra ratio on offer."

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/ArticleDetai...leID=11917&vf=2

Additionally, the manual is offered with the optional Limited Slip Differential (as the M5), which provides for better traction. On that article I believe they also explain why the auto is faster (from 0-100 (brake torquing) and how it is able to retain some boost pressure within the gear changes). But do remember that the auto is just 5 gears, vs 6 in the manual. Have you seen how useful it is for the M5 to have 7 gears instead of 6?
Ok, i'm convinced...sort of. I don't get it how can the limited speed be reached faster in the manual. 0-200km/h is delt already faster in the automatic...so how come from 200 to 310km/h can the manual recover the gap and still come out faster. This i don't understand.
Also i don't understand why LSD can't be equipped in conjunction with tiptronic.
If i were you i would wait 1 year or so and get the turbo or gt2 or who knows maybe turbo s, with the DSG gearbox. Then you'll have probably the best out of both worlds.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='292239' date='Jun 4 2006, 03:35 AM
Ok, i'm convinced...sort of. I don't get it how can the limited speed be reached faster in the manual. 0-200km/h is delt already faster in the automatic...so how come from 200 to 310km/h can the manual recover the gap and still come out faster. This i don't understand.
Also i don't understand why LSD can't be equipped in conjunction with tiptronic.
If i were you i would wait 1 year or so and get the turbo or gt2 or who knows maybe turbo s, with the DSG gearbox. Then you'll have probably the best out of both worlds.
Im getting a 997 Turbo with auto because this will be my daily driver. My current 997CS is a stick and its fun but I had to get the 550 auto as a daily driver due to the 9997CS stick, I hated that car in stop and go traffic. I have been waiting for an auto super car for a while and the 997 Turbo with auto will be my dream come true. A daily driver that can kill when needed and will let me slurp my drink while driving or answering my phone if needed. Im getting rid of the 550 and 997CS stick for the 997 turbo auto.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Bettermakeway,

I will try to find proof on the manual reaching topspeed faster, but it would have to do with the ratios being closer and keeping the engine in the sweetspot. Here is a good article on gearing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-ratio_transmission
Old 06-05-2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Members

Congratulations TV550!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='292830' date='Jun 5 2006, 09:39 PM
Bettermakeway,

I will try to find proof on the manual reaching topspeed faster, but it would have to do with the ratios being closer and keeping the engine in the sweetspot. Here is a good article on gearing:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close-ratio_transmission
Yea yeah, but on the other hand reviews tell us that tiptronic makes the changes in a way that keeps the turbos spooled up better, that they say might be another reason for better times for 0-200km/h besides brake-torque. So this means the rest happens till the final gear is reached(5th). And from then i'm not so sure the manual can overtake him just because he has one more gear.

PS: I'll sit back since you already said it would be a 2nd car. So it's ok. But now it's more a technical d-bate....
Old 06-05-2006, 03:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='292881' date='Jun 5 2006, 04:23 PM
Yea yeah, but on the other hand reviews tell us that tiptronic makes the changes in a way that keeps the turbos spooled up better, that they say might be another reason for better times for 0-200km/h besides brake-torque. So this means the rest happens till the final gear is reached(5th). And from then i'm not so sure the manual can overtake him just because he has one more gear.

PS: I'll sit back since you already said it would be a 2nd car. So it's ok. But now it's more a technical d-bate....
I'll get back to you wiith some substance on due time .

Quick Reply: About to order 997 TT