The Competition Discuss the competition to the BMW 5 Series here. Mercedes, Audi, etc...
View Poll Results: 997 Transmission Choice
Manual
52.38%
Automatic
30.95%
Wait one year for Sequential
16.67%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

About to order 997 TT

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 11:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='284334' date='May 18 2006, 08:39 PM
Yes but following your logic sequential should also be a nono. You cand drive hard and most of the driving pleasure isn't about pusing a clutch and pulling a lever...imo it's about driving style, road, and your own abilities to make the best out of the car in other words DRIVING VERY VERY HARD, or for style going sideways. And both of this ca be done using manual or automatic or in the future dsg. If you use it as a primary car that is...because if you use it as a weekender or as a track car more, then why stick with the turbo?! Go full banana for the GT3 and then we can talk about driving. A turbo is a good primary car and most of the time in heavy traffic the least you would want a manual gearbox and a clutch to work a 480bhp engine. If you get the quick shift it will probably be even more tireing.
Don't agree really - any automatic gearbox removes control from the driver. I've resisted auto's all the way until my current car. The e60 does suit an auto box in most guises. But I still often find I want to snick through the gears - or better control my deceleration / readiness to accelerate away from a fast junction.

A porsche is even more driver focused - hence it has be a manual.

A sequential box is still a manual in terms of controllability, but it lets amateurs change gear like pro's - since I know I couldn't heel and toe every gear change on the road - and porsche wrote the book on these gearboxes - I'd get the sequential.

Have you seen the new z4 m 'racer' - BMW have stuck in a seqeuntial racing box - nuff said.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='284601' date='May 19 2006, 10:59 AM
Don't agree really - any automatic gearbox removes control from the driver. I've resisted auto's all the way until my current car. The e60 does suit an auto box in most guises. But I still often find I want to snick through the gears - or better control my deceleration / readiness to accelerate away from a fast junction.

A porsche is even more driver focused - hence it has be a manual.

A sequential box is still a manual in terms of controllability, but it lets amateurs change gear like pro's - since I know I couldn't heel and toe every gear change on the road - and porsche wrote the book on these gearboxes - I'd get the sequential.

Have you seen the new z4 m 'racer' - BMW have stuck in a seqeuntial racing box - nuff said.
I find your point of view. But i do sustain the fact that you have to take into consideration:1 if it will be the primary car and 2 the real purpose for the car. If 1 is no an 2 is sheer driving pleasure i said again go GT3, it wil reword you way more than the turbo. Anyway probably it's the way i percive things and maybe i judge like this because i do 80% of my driving in the city where the traffic is absolutley crazy.
Anyway what Z4M racer? the one ready made for competition with the huge wing on it's back and around 400bhp? If yes most of those cars out there are sequential, not because it makes amateurs change gear like pros, because there aren't amateurs in the 1st place that drive cars like those, but because sequential changes way faster than any pro cand do it with a clutch and because it lets the drive focus on other things than the changing of the gear. I like the best sequential out of all the gearboxes, but i i where to choose now, i would defentaley choose an automatic for the turbo. The turbo is not that of a race car or hardcore car in the 1st place, it's more like a very very fast sports car especially in a straight line.
Old 05-19-2006, 02:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='284620' date='May 19 2006, 09:26 AM
I find your point of view. But i do sustain the fact that you have to take into consideration:1 if it will be the primary car and 2 the real purpose for the car. If 1 is no an 2 is sheer driving pleasure i said again go GT3, it wil reword you way more than the turbo. Anyway probably it's the way i percive things and maybe i judge like this because i do 80% of my driving in the city where the traffic is absolutley crazy.
Anyway what Z4M racer? the one ready made for competition with the huge wing on it's back and around 400bhp? If yes most of those cars out there are sequential, not because it makes amateurs change gear like pros, because there aren't amateurs in the 1st place that drive cars like those, but because sequential changes way faster than any pro cand do it with a clutch and because it lets the drive focus on other things than the changing of the gear. I like the best sequential out of all the gearboxes, but i i where to choose now, i would defentaley choose an automatic for the turbo. The turbo is not that of a race car or hardcore car in the 1st place, it's more like a very very fast sports car especially in a straight line.
Yep that's the racer I was talking about - which BMW have targeted specifically at beating the porsche 911.

On the auto thing - I get your point - but for me the default is that in any 'drivers car' a manual box is best.

The auto is a luxury and very nice in town, but it removes control from the driver. I'd have preferred a manual e60, but they are like hens teeth in the UK - cause here it is a luxury car - and no-one changes gear themselves in a luxury car.

By comparison - the porsche is a SPORTS car - and I think an auto is an unnecessary compromise for a sports car. Yes - it isn't a hard core racer - but it's ultimate FUNCTION is still to go as fast as possible - to be a race car for the road - albeit with more creature comforts than a gt3.

By contrast I would say the e60's function to to provide a functional, luxurious and prestigious family car with 'best in class' dynamics and performance.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:29 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for your replies guys.

Current score: Manual:6
Auto: 6

Old 05-19-2006, 05:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stealthblue' post='284741' date='May 19 2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks for your replies guys.

Current score: Manual:6
Auto: 6

I forgot to vote - so it's manual 7 now.

(If I was buying a porsche I wouldn't be able to wait for a year)
Old 05-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

I can't believe I am the first to pick sequential transmission in the poll!

Ferrari sells 90% of the F430s with the F1 (sequential) transmission so why not a TT?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by LowOrbit' post='284904' date='May 19 2006, 10:44 PM
I can't believe I am the first to pick sequential transmission in the poll!

Ferrari sells 90% of the F430s with the F1 (sequential) transmission so why not a TT?
Because now it's not available and from what i've read it will not come in 2007, either late 2007 or 2008. Wich is alot to wait for it...but hey it might worth it...Turbo S with DSG...
Old 05-19-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='284656' date='May 19 2006, 01:48 PM
Yep that's the racer I was talking about - which BMW have targeted specifically at beating the porsche 911.

On the auto thing - I get your point - but for me the default is that in any 'drivers car' a manual box is best.

The auto is a luxury and very nice in town, but it removes control from the driver. I'd have preferred a manual e60, but they are like hens teeth in the UK - cause here it is a luxury car - and no-one changes gear themselves in a luxury car.

By comparison - the porsche is a SPORTS car - and I think an auto is an unnecessary compromise for a sports car. Yes - it isn't a hard core racer - but it's ultimate FUNCTION is still to go as fast as possible - to be a race car for the road - albeit with more creature comforts than a gt3.

By contrast I would say the e60's function to to provide a functional, luxurious and prestigious family car with 'best in class' dynamics and performance.
Sorry we have different opinions on how we see the 997 turbo. I see it as a very sporty gt kinda car, in wich you can always go on trips (in 2 of course) from country to country, it's a car that's VERY quick on a straight line, and it's not that tight as the GT3, leaving alot of confort but being able also to pulverize almost anything on a straigh road and not only...AUTO is quicker 12.2 sec 0-200km/h while manual is 12.8. I am sure if you want to tune the car the auto will suit it better as it will handle the power better without gearbox modifications, and in that car getting 600+bhp will be easy, and in a way a stock manual for sure won't be that happy about it. The only advantage of the manual as i see it is the opportunity to mount a rear diff lock....wich i dunno why can't be fitted in conjunction with the auto...maybe someone will explain it to me.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My main reason for getting a manual is simply because it's more fun to drive. Even though a turbo isn't a GT3, it's still a porsche and still deserving of a proper manual transmission.

When describing the turbo as a comfortable GT car that's fast in a straight line, it sounds like the description of an AMG car. I'm sure it's common knowledge, but AMGs are all equipped with automatics while BMW M cars always have either manual or SMG. An M division car should never have a torque converter and neither should a 911.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM
Senior Members

Quick Reply: About to order 997 TT