Bluetooth & Cell Phone Forum Have a bluetooth or mobile/cellular phone issue or question? Your answer will be here!

Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 03:26 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 06:15 PM
[quote name='wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:28 AM']Well, kudos to Bob Paduch at Motor Werks.. a true gentleman!!

I just hung up with him..? For those dealers, including mine, that say it can't be done, here's the skinny:

1.? tech needs to hook fiber optic cable up. it's already there, just needs to connect it!
2.? follow instructions on service bulletins?
? ? SIB # 841304
? ? SIB # 841603
3.? Bulletins above will state instructions for cars built 09/04 and later.. the catch is that there is no hardware difference from one year to the other.. it is in fac the software version.? They need to load 13.3 in.? If you have NAV, it may crash the CCC computer, he said.. so, some finegeling might be needed by the tech.
4.? that's it.. tell you service center they can get all this info off of Centernet!

Now that I know EXACTLY how to do this, let's see if my dealer still tells me NO!
[snapback]49984[/snapback]
I printed the above out and gave it to my Technician. He looked up the SIBs and added one more instruction to No3. 'Keep your fingers crossed' He knows about the CCC crashing with V13.3.
[snapback]50066[/snapback]
[/quote]

what was the 3rd instruction?
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:26 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 06:15 PM'][quote name='wassy' date='Oct 27 2004, 11:28 AM']Well, kudos to Bob Paduch at Motor Werks.. a true gentleman!!

I just hung up with him..? For those dealers, including mine, that say it can't be done, here's the skinny:

1.? tech needs to hook fiber optic cable up. it's already there, just needs to connect it!
2.? follow instructions on service bulletins?
? ? SIB # 841304
? ? SIB # 841603
3.? Bulletins above will state instructions for cars built 09/04 and later.. the catch is that there is no hardware difference from one year to the other.. it is in fac the software version.? They need to load 13.3 in.? If you have NAV, it may crash the CCC computer, he said.. so, some finegeling might be needed by the tech.
4.? that's it.. tell you service center they can get all this info off of Centernet!

Now that I know EXACTLY how to do this, let's see if my dealer still tells me NO!
[snapback]49984[/snapback]
I printed the above out and gave it to my Technician. He looked up the SIBs and added one more instruction to No3. 'Keep your fingers crossed' He knows about the CCC crashing with V13.3.
[snapback]50066[/snapback]
[/quote]

what was the 3rd instruction?
[snapback]50069[/snapback]
[/quote]

3.Keep your fingers crossed. Its apparantely a nerve racking upgrade for these guys. And trust me my guy knows his shit!
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Hey pharding,

Do you know... Will ANY March build date work or is there a specific day cutoff? Of course I am a March build.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:36 PM
Hey pharding,

Do you know... Will ANY March build date work or is there a specific day cutoff?? Of course I am a March build.
[snapback]50073[/snapback]
realityman. Did you get a BT passkey code card in your car at delivery. I think thats the key.

84 11 6 948 921 or later. I have to check my card to see what that is.
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 06:11 PM
[quote name='jamespratt' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM']A word of warning from a BT user in the UK. Personal experience is very disappointing. The functionality is outstanding but....... (and it's quite a big BUT) ther are two problems. First, the sound quality is abysmal. So bad as to be barely useable. You can pass information, but no way could you have a relaxed conversation.

Two... The number of fully compatible phones is now close to zero. Well, about two in fact. I have one of them, a SE T610 (T617 in the US I think) and it's a horrible phone. Mobile phones in the US seem to be a few months behind Europe, so you may still be able to get some of the older models that are compatible (Nokia 6310).

Personally, I don't reckon BT is worth it yet. Buy a visorcom instead. Cheaper and much better sound.
[snapback]50062[/snapback]
pharding what do you think? Could your problems this morning have been related to the volume settings?

A clear conversation is the key and I have spoken to the guys at the other end of the Assist line. The conversation was very relaxed. (Unless ofcourse, being on BMWNA's payroll they are instructed not to complain about the sound quality).

The V710 is supposed to have a firmware update by the end of the year that will allow the address book to sync. Speaking with one user who uses it with a 3er, the battery life is not drained by the BT connection and there are no apparanent problems.

I am still scheduled to take my car in on Monday, but asked them to do the 'pharding retrofit' instead of the CPT9000 install. The CPT is always an option if this doesn't work out.
[snapback]50064[/snapback]
[/quote]
Hormazd:

I am with you on the Bluetooth decision. BMW clearly wants to get out of the phone business. The V60 phone was released by Moto in 2000 and BMW has no plans for upgrades. Why *downgrade* your personal phone to conform to the old technology?
Old 10-27-2004 | 03:57 PM
Contributors

Duplicate error, sorry.
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 05:11 PM
[quote name='jamespratt' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM']A word of warning from a BT user in the UK. Personal experience is very disappointing. The functionality is outstanding but....... (and it's quite a big BUT) ther are two problems. First, the sound quality is abysmal. So bad as to be barely useable. You can pass information, but no way could you have a relaxed conversation.

Two... The number of fully compatible phones is now close to zero. Well, about two in fact. I have one of them, a SE T610 (T617 in the US I think) and it's a horrible phone. Mobile phones in the US seem to be a few months behind Europe, so you may still be able to get some of the older models that are compatible (Nokia 6310).

Personally, I don't reckon BT is worth it yet. Buy a visorcom instead. Cheaper and much better sound.
pharding what do you think? Could your problems this morning have been related to the volume settings?

A clear conversation is the key and I have spoken to the guys at the other end of the Assist line. The conversation was very relaxed. (Unless ofcourse, being on BMWNA's payroll they are instructed not to complain about the sound quality).

The V710 is supposed to have a firmware update by the end of the year that will allow the address book to sync. Speaking with one user who uses it with a 3er, the battery life is not drained by the BT connection and there are no apparanent problems.

I am still scheduled to take my car in on Monday, but asked them to do the 'pharding retrofit' instead of the CPT9000 install. The CPT is always an option if this doesn't work out.
[/quote]

Two of my employees, when asked, said that the audio quality was not good.
On my way home, I called my home digital answering machine from my car. I would agree that it sounds mediocre when I hear it myself. I am looking into a cradle solution which would would work with my Motorola V600 and use the shark fin antenna. BMW Assist goes through the shark fin antenna and not the cell phone. It sounds good. I am leaning toward looking for a solution that has better audio quality. Either I will have the phone cradle, which I have a part number for, installed with wiring to the the shark fin antenna or I will go the CPT 9000 route. I am a Partner in an architectural firm and I am constantly on the phone when I drive so I need a good solution that has good quality audio. If you need good audio quality, I would not recommend Bluetooth. It is neat technology, but the audio qaulity is a compromise. I wish that I had better news after all of this, but that is the way that it is. That is my opinion. I am curious what others think.
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 07:40 PM
[quote name='realtyman' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:36 PM']Hey pharding,

Do you know... Will ANY March build date work or is there a specific day cutoff?? Of course I am a March build.
realityman. Did you get a BT passkey code card in your car at delivery. I think thats the key.

84 11 6 948 921 or later. I have to check my card to see what that is.
[snapback]50077[/snapback]
[/quote]

I didn't see one in the manual. They must have been too busy f'ing up my steering rack to install the bluetooth thing
Old 10-27-2004 | 04:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Originally Posted by realtyman' date='Oct 27 2004, 05:36 PM
Hey pharding,

Your dealer will call in your VIN Number to BMW to check the suitability of your car before they do any work.
Old 10-27-2004 | 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by wnrussell' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:50 PM
[quote name='Hormazd' date='Oct 27 2004, 06:11 PM'][quote name='jamespratt' date='Oct 27 2004, 04:02 PM']A word of warning from a BT user in the UK. Personal experience is very disappointing. The functionality is outstanding but....... (and it's quite a big BUT) ther are two problems. First, the sound quality is abysmal. So bad as to be barely useable. You can pass information, but no way could you have a relaxed conversation.

[/quote]
Hormazd:

I am with you on the Bluetooth decision. BMW clearly wants to get out of the phone business. The V60 phone was released by Moto in 2000 and BMW has no plans for upgrades. Why *downgrade* your personal phone to conform to the old technology?
[snapback]50082[/snapback]
[/quote]

I wish it was that simple. Its not about old or new technology for me. Its about what works. If I have the latest BT phone and retrofit and my callers find my voice garbled its not worth squat.

I will see how this goes. I can always return the fairly expensive V710 that I will buy and get the CPT later.

Quick Reply: Finally! Bluetooth Upgrade is Scheduled for Monday