Tires & Wheels Ask all of your Tire & Wheel questions here!

Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

Add me to the xi owners list too Currently in the middle of a deal for a clean set of 124's complete with TPMs and Dunlops. What is this issue of barrel splits mentioned earlier?

I think the Vorsteiner CS-01's are amazing but another forum member reminded me that they are cast, and cast doesn't always get along with the pot holes of the Northeast. Had these been forged I'd be all over them, given the xi offset availability.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
awesome database for you and the other 3 members that have xi models

now pool your knowledge on suspension
BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Old 03-16-2010, 06:59 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by corey
Add me to the xi owners list too Currently in the middle of a deal for a clean set of 124's complete with TPMs and Dunlops. What is this issue of barrel splits mentioned earlier?

I think the Vorsteiner CS-01's are amazing but another forum member reminded me that they are cast, and cast doesn't always get along with the pot holes of the Northeast. Had these been forged I'd be all over them, given the xi offset availability.
You cannot find forged wheels for that kind of money. I'm on the brink of deciding whether to go forged or not myself right now, but the amount of money it costs is like triple to quadruple the cost of Vorsteiners. And with a car like mine, for example - 530Xi - my biggest concern is to keep things in proportion. I don't want to be "that guy", with five thousand dollar rims on a 15k dollar car (too "Jersey Shore" for me - I'm already Russian, so its not like I need any additional stereotypes chasing me ).

That said, the DPE Monoblock wheels are absolutely gorgeous. If I had a 550 or an M5... heck, even if I had the 535Xi, I'd go for the DPE MT20 in a heartbeat!
(BTW Michael - member Acuteperformance - has THE best deal on these, definitely).

That said, I can buy two sets of CS-01s and tires AND have some money left over for the same amount that it'd cost me to get the DPEs. And its still a tough decision - I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to hold myself back. If I get a tax refund or a spot bonus, watch out!
Old 03-16-2010, 07:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

V and I are going through the same decision making process.

No doubt the DPE has a ton of advantages over a cast wheel (lighter, perfect offset, more unique, etc), but I'm also in a position where my wife drives the car regularly. it's not that she's a bad driver, but she certainly doesn't baby the car like I would. If there's curb rash on a set of VMR's, I wouldn't be happy, but I could live with it - if she (or I) rashed a set of DPE's, I'd curl up into the fetal position and cry.

To the other owners who have the funds, definitely give Michael a shout - he'll make your XI look special.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

you guys are all too kind too kind..

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
V and I are going through the same decision making process.

No doubt the DPE has a ton of advantages over a cast wheel (lighter, perfect offset, more unique, etc), but I'm also in a position where my wife drives the car regularly. it's not that she's a bad driver, but she certainly doesn't baby the car like I would. If there's curb rash on a set of VMR's, I wouldn't be happy, but I could live with it - if she (or I) rashed a set of DPE's, I'd curl up into the fetal position and cry.

To the other owners who have the funds, definitely give Michael a shout - he'll make your XI look special.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Contributors

We're just whoring for more discounts, Michael

And yes, scratching a DPE probably aint a great feeling. BTW can someone confirm - forged wheels are as easily repairable as the cast ones, correct? So worst case, if I scratched, bent or cracked one or two, I'd be able to take it to a professional wheel refurbisher, who would get them right again?
Old 03-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535xi

Has anyone seen V701's on a 5 series?

I've searched this (and other) forums, and haven't found any pictures - I know they are still relatively new, but I'm hoping someone out there may have seen these wheels on a 5. I still really like the 710's, but I love the simplicity of the 701's - I just want to have a better idea if they 'work' on the 5. They both have great offsets for the XI.

Here's a picture on a 3 series, but obviously, the 5 is a much bigger car with different proportions...

VMR 701's on a 3 Series
Old 03-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Krusty Clown
Has anyone seen V701's on a 5 series?

I've searched this (and other) forums, and haven't found any pictures - I know they are still relatively new, but I'm hoping someone out there may have seen these wheels on a 5. I still really like the 710's, but I love the simplicity of the 701's - I just want to have a better idea if they 'work' on the 5. They both have great offsets for the XI.

Here's a picture on a 3 series, but obviously, the 5 is a much bigger car with different proportions...

VMR 701's on a 3 Series
I think this question has come up before on this forum, but at the time I remember that the search came up dry - maybe someone got them since?
Old 03-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Contributors

BTW I finally made the mini-plunge and arranged to buy a set of H&R springs for my Xi.

I got convinced to do this by PraiseTheLowered, so if anything goes wrong, at least I can hold him responsible
Old 03-18-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
BTW I finally made the mini-plunge and arranged to buy a set of H&R springs for my Xi.

I got convinced to do this by PraiseTheLowered, so if anything goes wrong, at least I can hold him responsible

i really like my new m5 side skirts V, thanks for the late bday present

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels and suspensions for Xi