Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

New iDrive Test Drive and Videos

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 05:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

As I've said many times before, touch screens are way more distracting to use while driving. They can be much simpler at a standstill, etc. but for me, an iDrive-like interface is easier to use without having to take your eyes off of the road, etc.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='666900' date='Sep 11 2008, 06:23 AM
As I've said many times before, touch screens are way more distracting to use while driving. They can be much simpler at a standstill, etc. but for me, an iDrive-like interface is easier to use without having to take your eyes off of the road, etc.
most car companies that still use touch screens like lexus and acura don't let you input addresses or do major things while driving. even aftermarket screens need to be bypassed to operate while driving.

with all that said, i do hate touchscreen because of the size of my fingers and the ability to make pinpoint touches to the screen. i love the new map and menu designs on this idrive. especially when compared to what Acura (which is known for a great navigation integration) is bringing out on the new TL. it's a generation ahead as far as graphics go.

more pics at http://www.motivemagazine.com/gallery/gall...0Model/Interior
Old 09-11-2008, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kneemah' post='667398' date='Sep 11 2008, 08:03 PM
most car companies that still use touch screens like lexus and acura don't let you input addresses or do major things while driving. even aftermarket screens need to be bypassed to operate while driving.
Yep, and why do you think most car companies that have touch screens disable input while driving? Because they all know that it's distracting as hell to use them while driving. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. figured that out long ago and opted to use a central interface with some tactile feedback to allow the driver to use the system without being as distracted...

(I realize there are people who after reading this will still think a touch screen is "better". All I can say is that I've used both types extensively since 2004 on BMW's, a Honda, and a Chrysler. It's clear to me that the BMW design is superior in almost all aspects.)
Old 09-11-2008, 08:52 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='667571' date='Sep 11 2008, 09:11 PM
Yep, and why do you think most car companies that have touch screens disable input while driving? Because they all know that it's distracting as hell to use them while driving. BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. figured that out long ago and opted to use a central interface with some tactile feedback to allow the driver to use the system without being as distracted...

(I realize there are people who after reading this will still think a touch screen is "better". All I can say is that I've used both types extensively since 2004 on BMW's, a Honda, and a Chrysler. It's clear to me that the BMW design is superior in almost all aspects.)
I know where you're coming from Rudy, and I also admire the conceptual elegance of iDrive, but I still feel that the laggy and buggy response from a pre-LCI E60 with professional nav is potentially more distracting and potentially more frustrating (and consequentially more dangerous to use while driving) when compared to a responsive touchscreen-system. I'd further argue that the ideal combination would probably comprise elements of both systems, and would be underpinned by voice input.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by swajames' post='667601' date='Sep 12 2008, 12:52 AM
I know where you're coming from Rudy, and I also admire the conceptual elegance of iDrive, but I still feel that the laggy and buggy response from a pre-LCI E60 with professional nav is potentially more distracting and potentially more frustrating (and consequentially more dangerous to use while driving) when compared to a responsive touchscreen-system. I'd further argue that the ideal combination would probably comprise elements of both systems, and would be underpinned by voice input.
Obviously, the "buggy" behavior can be a distraction and clearly they're addressed it in the LCI version (and surely they've improved things further in the CIC-based versions.) That said, we'll have to agree to disagree since I drove a car with a buggy version every day for three years and still think it was less distracting than using a Honda touch screen not quite every day during the same three years...