Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 05:25 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Dec 1 2004, 08:20 PM
Where is that confirmed?
[snapback]63241[/snapback]
zipper525, I assume you're asking me that. This entire discussion began several weeks ago when it was revealed that the new 5 series had only received 3 stars, but that BMW was going to be allowed to make mods and retest. I'll have to do a search, but I think there is a link is this long thread to the NCAP test where they state that BMW was allowed to make the mods to gain a star.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:26 PM
Senior Members

Ok ill check around the site too.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:20 PM
But what have we been driving for the last 20-30 years.
[snapback]63242[/snapback]
But 20 or 30 years ago other cars on the road were just as "unsafe" and most of the cars then were built to crash a certain way... the cars built now are different... so it would be fine if you ran into an older cheaper built car... but if you run into a nice big safely built S Class now... might be a little more problem...
Old 12-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Saloon 2003: Titanium Silver, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 138 7.5Jx17'' + Run Flat Tyres, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, Grey-Flat Weave Cloth, Through Load System inc. Ski-Bag.

Originally Posted by kscarrol' date='Dec 2 2004, 03:17 AM
[quote name='Nev' date='Dec 1 2004, 08:09 PM']Did I miss the part where Euro NCAP mentioned the car would have earned a three star rating without the mods?

I thought they said....

It achieved a four-star rating after Euro NCAP allowed.....retests following improvements.

Since we don't know what the improvements were, we also don't know how many stars the car would have earned before the improvements and subsequent retests.
[snapback]63235[/snapback]
Yes, the E60 initially earned a 3 star rating, which BMW was not happy with, so they were allowed to make modifications to earn the 4 star rating in a second test.

The 4 star rating wa the E60's second test!
[snapback]63238[/snapback]
[/quote]

Re << the E60 initially earned a 3 star rating >>

Thanks for the info. Where did you hear it earned a 3 star rating? Is there a link to a web page that you could point me to?

I have only seen the brief NCAP result at the page below and it does not say how many stars it would have earned before the retest. http://www.euroncap.com/content/safety_rat...p?id1=4&id2=208

If there is any more public domain material, then I'd be very interested to see it.

Thanks.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Since NCAP never officially published the results and allowed the re-test, I'm afraid the source that began this back in Sept was a UK auto magazine. Here's a link to the blurb, not a full write up I'm afraid.

http://www.autocarmagazine.co.uk/news_arti...sp?na_id=210953
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Hormazd' date='Dec 1 2004, 10:20 PM
Damn!? I try and get some work done and return the thread 8 hours later and its grown by 5 pages.

No this is far from RF.? All I read was relatively well written and entertaining discourse on an important subject.? I do not have a position on this.? That is I am neither in one camp or the other.? Both sides have valid arguments.? I will however venture to say,? that despite the NCAP tests,? our pre-modified E60s are most probably the safest cars we have owned.? They may not be as safe as they could be,? and modifications may have made them safer.? But what have we been driving for the last 20-30 years.

Lets keep the thread alive and wait for more information.? BMW are you reading this??
[snapback]63242[/snapback]
I agree - I lurked at RF before discovering this place and the discourse I've seen in this thread is just healthy debate. Doing more debate from time to time would be good as we can only talk about wood trim for so long. We'll know if we approach RF because we'll want to protect it and in this instance we got good moderators to insure that.

Now in terms of safety, I agree with the comment above that as soon-to-be US owner, I'll go by the US rating for a US spec car. In terms of Euro NCAP, the car may have been a 3 by inference (did not see an exact report of the 1st rating in print -so please provide link) and based on the NCAP rating each star is related to risk.

From their Euro NCAP FAQ -

"How will you know if Euro NCAP has been effective?
Euro NCAP has been responsible for a dramatic change to overall car safety. This is readily seen in how quickly manufacturers improve their safety equipment and the steps they take to do well in the tests. Real world injury studies carried out by SNRA (Swedish National Roads Aministration) and SARAC (Safety Advisory Rating Committee) demonstrate a reduction in injury risk for every Euro NCAP star received"

Now a three star (assuming it was) may be still a safe car (e.g., not unsafe) but if that real-world study is correct, a 4 will be safer than a 3. Now should BMW disclose the first rating (yes), should they offer remedies to those owners that demand corrections (I think that should be negotiated on an individual basis) and if it is a big mod should be a basis for a recall. My two cents.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

"BMW?s new 5-series range has run into trouble in the crucial Euro NCAP crash tests. According to an inside source, the initial tests would have led to the car being given a low three-star rating. The source claimed that the car?s problem was ?structural? rather than a series of minor problems.

BMW denied this but admitted that the 5-series has been crash-tested. However, BMW has ?agreed? with Euro NCAP that the tests were hampered by ?inconsistencies?. The impact tests are likely to be re-run in the near future.

?We genuinely hope for, and expect, a five-star rating,? a BMW spokesman told Autocar.
"

quoted from Auto Car Magizine. A low 3 starts doesn't sound very good at all to me
Old 12-01-2004, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zippers525' date='Dec 1 2004, 10:40 PM
"BMW?s new 5-series range has run into trouble in the crucial Euro NCAP crash tests. According to an inside source, the initial tests would have led to the car being given a low three-star rating. The source claimed that the car?s problem was ?structural? rather than a series of minor problems.

BMW denied this but admitted that the 5-series has been crash-tested. However, BMW has ?agreed? with Euro NCAP that the tests were hampered by ?inconsistencies?. The impact tests are likely to be re-run in the near future.

?We genuinely hope for, and expect, a five-star rating,? a BMW spokesman told Autocar.
"

quoted from Auto Car Magizine. A low 3 starts doesn't sound very good at all to me
[snapback]63261[/snapback]
Thanks for the quotes. Sounds like a 3 to me. Also, sounds that BMW is implying invalidity of tests based on "inconsistencies". Is that corporate CYA language or are the tests such that they are variable and inherently subject to inconsistencies? They claim on the site good re-test validation.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Members

My Ride: 530d SE Saloon 2003: Titanium Silver, Active Steering, Dynamic Drive, Sports Suspension, Star Spoke 138 7.5Jx17'' + Run Flat Tyres, Auto-Dim Interior Mirror, Grey-Flat Weave Cloth, Through Load System inc. Ski-Bag.

Thanks for the autocar link.

Now, I don't want to throw fuel on the fire, but did anyone notice the results of the 5 series Rear Crash Protection test carried out in the US by IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)?

Base Seats: Overall Rating = Poor
Sports Seats with Active Head Restraints: Overall Rating = Acceptable

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/head_r...ts/head_bmw.htm

So as long as we own a 2005 car with upgraded seats and don't get hit from the rear, we should all be fine

At least I'm not as concerned as I used to be about my radio's RDS feature not working in my 2003 standard seated car
Old 12-01-2004, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Edit: Sorry, wrong MY. Nevermind

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60