Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:23 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by cpd1' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:19 PM
Skaffa,

I think there is a great deal of disclosure that needs to be done by BMW.
So this begs the question, how did the original E60 perform?
[snapback]62834[/snapback]
I think there is the beef: WHY this HIDING? Maybe they come out when they have good enough explonation.

Originally Posted by northernmonkey' date='Dec 1 2004, 05:36 PM
interesting comments. I still love the E60 but I think BMW need to say more about this and at the very least explain why they feel no recall is required.
[snapback]62906[/snapback]
Like above!

And I agree financial aspect too. Our cars are not so wanted than modified ones.

Lets wait and see. I don't have any intensions to drive an accident!

Skaffa
Old 12-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: [i][b][u]Since 19 august 2004[/u][/b][/i]: [color=red][b]530i[/b] High Executive[/color], Silvergray with beige interior, Popular wood, Servotronic, Sportssuspension, electric foldable and dimmed mirrors, dimmed interior mirror, pappelmaser braun wood, cupholders, styling 123 18" wheels, Logic 7, Steptronic, alarm class 3, electric sunscreen in the rear and suncreens for sidewindows, Comfort seats, heated seats, Xenon with headlightwashers, Adaptive corner lights ALC, Advanced airconditioning, lightpackage, Nav Pro, 6 cd changer, side airbags rearseats, bluetooth siemens S55, chrome kidneys, gearlever with wood, voice recognition retrofit, front windshield with green band. Waiting for trunkopener button from Hobi :)

I feel the same about this issue.. If the car was good in the first place why did they make these changes??? Okay marketing is very important but how do you market it to you current E60 owners that you made improvements in the safety aspect?? I want to know exactly what they changed so I can make my own decision if my car is safe or not..
Old 12-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by 530E60NL' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:52 PM
I want to know exactly what they changed so I can make my own decision if my car is safe or not..
[snapback]62942[/snapback]
That's voice of sense!

Skaffa
Old 12-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i 6speed

Originally Posted by clived' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:31 AM
The problem here is that you're introducing your subjective assesment of how well a 5 star rated car would perform in a real world accident. Those of you who are currently driving E60s, think about a variety of accidents - side impacts, being hit from the rear etc. Would you rather be in your E60 or a 5 star Renault Megane Coupe Cabriolet for example

Unless you have scientific analysis of actual accident death / injury rates against NCAP ratings, I don't see how you can make this comment?
[snapback]62899[/snapback]
Wait a second here !!! There is MORE objective data that there is a deficiency with the E60 (NCAP testing and BMW re-engineering of the vehicle) than the so-called "real world" accident scenario you (and BMW) describe. I would say this touted "real world" safety superiority is purely anecdotal and heresay, while there is at least some tangible data in the NCAP report... If your arguement is that such vehicle testing is garbage and pseudoscience with no inherent worth, then your perspective has some credence.

Bottom line is this: BMW found the NCAP results unsatisfactory and re-engineered the E60 in order to achieve more acceptable safety ratings. Customers are driving unmodified vehicles and are quite likely to be at greater risk for personal injury during some accidents than those who drive modified E60's.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Dec 1 2004, 06:05 PM
ustomers are driving unmodified vehicles and are quite likely to be at greater risk for personal injury during some accidents than those who drive modified E60's.
[snapback]62983[/snapback]
Sorry Gizmo, but you did it again.

You simply cannot make that assumption based on the available data.
Old 12-01-2004, 10:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Dec 1 2004, 12:43 PM
Sorry Gizmo, but you did it again.

You simply cannot make that assumption based on the available data.
[snapback]62993[/snapback]
I actually think it is a very reasonable extrapolation of the data.

Certainly BMW cannot make the assumption that their vehicle performs exceptionally well in "real world" situations while performing in a substandard fashion in crash tests.

I guess we'll find out when this goes before a jury !!!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:50 AM

Im a member a bimmerfest and here are some addressses of high people at BMW.
Tom Purves
Chairman & CEO
BMW North America
300 Chestnut Ridge Rd.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677
---------------------------------------------
Helmut Panke
Chairman of the Board of Management
Bayerische Motoren Werke AG
Petuelring 130
D-80788 Munich, Germany
Fax 49-89-382-2-44-18
Old 12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gizmo' date='Dec 1 2004, 07:41 PM
[quote name='browellm' date='Dec 1 2004, 12:43 PM']

.............while performing in a substandard fashion in crash tests.

[snapback]63016[/snapback]
Pffft, where is your EVIDENCE of "substandard" performance.

Your use of semantics is more misleading and dangerous than BMW's NCAP test results imo.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Dec 1 2004, 02:07 PM
Pffft, where is your EVIDENCE of "substandard" performance.

Your use of semantics is more misleading and dangerous than BMW's NCAP test results imo.
[snapback]63029[/snapback]
Pssst .... BMW got wind of the E60's inadequate (aka lackluster, substandard, shoddy, inferior, etc) NCAP test data, and found it necessary to re-enginner portions of the vehicle.

Read BMW's reply for a lesson in semantics (and obfuscation)...

Deliberately overlooking the obvious can be dangerous as well...
Old 12-01-2004, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

Guys,

Could I suggest that everyone take a deep breath on this subject and let a little sanity return before it descends into the sort of silly flaming that goes on over at the forum that cannot be named. We have been very civilised on this forum up 'til now so please lets keep it that way. The majority of people who use the site are civil to each other and have passed on valuable information that is helping us all to enjoy our cars more.

The safety issue is obviously of concern but there is little point building up some form of hysteria when we have little information to go on. If cars built post November have the mods has anyone seen one of these cars and found out what has changed? That would be more helpful than speculation and lawsuit threats. After all there have been several posts regarding cars involved in accidents (some major frontals as well) on here yet the posters only had praise for the way the car soaked up the punishment with no serious injuries to the occupants.

Gizmo you were one of the worst offenders for this sort of thing so please don't bring it here. Can we agree to stick to facts not fiction and post credible information as we receive it. Iceman is the guy most likely to get the lowdown on what BMW are doing.

Quick Reply: EURO NCAP Crash Test Results for E60