Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

BMW to offer diesels in US in 2008

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is by far the most meaningful article I've seen on overall emissions impact of cars.

Notice the "well to wheel greenhouse gas emissions" graph and look at the "Pre-transmission parallel hybrid diesel" figures in comparison to the other technologies.

ABC
Old 11-30-2006, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Great discussion. With modern processes, I am sure that the NOx greenhouse effects are more than counter balanced by the reduction in CO2. But either way - the reduced consumption helps reduce the financial power of the middle east .... and that is on a lot of peoples mind on this side of the pond.

We are very focused in the US on local environmental issues - smell, particulates etc - so diesels have had a bad name. They are also only available in a limited fashion because of our stricter laws on everything (except CO2). Here (NC) 1 in 4 gas stations have diesel and it costs a bit more than premium - as expected based on processing.

Hybrids don't smell ..... if the new diesels don't - you will get very good penetration in the US. I for one would love one b/c I do a lot of highway (70-80mph) driving.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

Link was missing from above post ... beat this... look at the hybrid diesel figures (btw my diesel doesn't smell either).

http://www.transportation.anl.gov/tr...4n3/goals.html

ABC
Old 11-30-2006, 02:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' post='362095' date='Nov 30 2006, 11:46 AM
our stricter laws on everything (except CO2).
Right.

And which gas is adding most to global climate change?

Does California have a coast?

ABC
Old 11-30-2006, 02:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 320d SE (E90) manual - Sapphire Black, Beige Leather Sports Seats, Burled Walnut, Heated Seats, Sunroof, Comfort Access, Hi-Fi sound, Bluetooth, Side-Window blinds, Through-Load, Luggage Net, PDC Front & Rear, Adaptive Xenons, Style 158 17", Chrome Grill & Window Trim, Blackline Tailights, Power folding/dimming side mirrors, Split Armrest, Dual Zone Climate, Cruise, LEDs on door handles, iPod nano, SE K750i

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='362092' date='Nov 30 2006, 11:25 AM
Diesel fuel is 7% more expensive in UK than unleaded so there must be something else than "headline price at the pump" here.

Also I have never understood (maybe it's taxation) why diesel is cheaper than unleaded almost everywhere else when, weight for weight it is more costly to get to the pumps than unleaded.

That's interesting. It is about the same price as petrol here (maybe a few cents cheaper). It used to be 10-20% cheaper a couple of years ago so there was more of a double saving. Then the government became greedy and decided that as people are saving some money by running a more economical car, they can now afford to pay more tax.

Generally, across the Eurozone, diesel seems to be cheaper than petrol by varying amounts.
If you curious see http://www.aaireland.ie/petrolprices/
Internationally, it seems to be cheaper or near parity, the exceptions on that list for September being the US, UK, Slovakia, Switzerland and Greece.

ABC Do you have an articles about why it costs more to produce low-surphur diesel. I am curious about this process.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='362089' date='Nov 30 2006, 11:52 AM
[cut]

Yes, air in the cities is changed, from a few years .. Now it smells of diesel .

Diesel engine by Fiat, MJTD, are very good engines : GM has taken and put them on Opel and other brands .

But, finally, also 320d and 330d don't have a good scent, I'm sorry .

Raighne : who could prefer a 535d to a 545i/550i SMG ?
Only a mad man!

Or somebody that has to save money at the pump .

PS :
Whan I go skiing there are many VW Touareg V10 TDI, Audi Q7 TDI, diesel SUV in general ... I don't joke : at 5 PM o' clocks, when all people finish skiing, you can't breathe and you cough, in some streets : I feel short of air like I didn't breathe, when I walk in those streets .
Snow is BLACK at the sides of the streets ..
Old 11-30-2006, 03:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='362086' date='Nov 30 2006, 01:48 AM
But till the 15th October 2006 US diesel was sulpherised cooking fat.

Are you suggesting that BMW would introduce a Diesel model if it couldn't pass emission laws?

Though not necessarily a reliable source http://www.stealthtdi.com/Emissions.html summarises my understanding.

ABC
Even with the change in diesel this year the BMW diesels (and for that matter the Bluetec MB diesels for calendar year 2007) are still unable to pass the CARB tests. It seems that the change in diesel formula plus some additional emissions control (in whatever form that might take, scheduled for 2008 for both BMW and MB's Bluetec) are needed. It's mainly NOx that seems to be the issue so I'm not sure how accurate the stealthtdi suggestions are. Either way, I do think that BMW would sell its diesels today if it could, Mercedes and VW already do (but not in all states) and all are actively working to expand into the larger markets where they can't sell today. There is demand, and whilst gas is cheaper here than you have to pay in most of Europe it's comparatively expensive in the US and that's probably going to be a more significant factor driving sales of diesels here.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:18 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Raighne' post='362098' date='Nov 30 2006, 11:57 AM
ABC Do you have an articles about why it costs more to produce low-surphur diesel. I am curious about this process.
I assume because there is more to do. Just one statement that it DOES cost more.
Mr. Hammond: I thank my hon. Friend for that helpful intervention. It is a theme to which we shall return as we go through the Bill and address the clauses dealing with environmental taxes and duties on environmentally damaging products.

Ultra-low sulphur diesel, which was discussed in the debate on clause 7 on the Floor of the House, has seen the duty differential increased to 2p a litre. Clearly any increase in the differential between standard diesel and ultra-low sulphur diesel is welcome. However, the increase in the duty on ultra-low sulphur diesel was 9.44 per cent., a higher percentage increase than the increase applied to duty on petrol. The result is that the pump price of ultra-low sulphur diesel is now almost identical to the pump price of regular diesel, although the production cost of ultra-low sulphur diesel is about 3.5p a litre higher than the production cost of standard diesel. Therefore, the industry is absorbing part of the increased production costs.
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...am/80512s06.htm

ABC
Old 11-30-2006, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by florus' post='362071' date='Nov 30 2006, 02:16 AM
When you say 2008 do you mean March 2008 or March 2007? Will there be xd versions?
Don't know, press release simply says "for 2008". Don't know if that means MY2008 or in 2008...
Old 11-30-2006, 06:02 AM
Members

Interesting.
I rented a 320 BMW Diesel in France while on vacation last year and got 40 miles to the gallon according to on-board computer set to US measure over the 2,000 miles traveled. Power and performance with stick shift were more than adequate.
I would like to try that 535D to compare with the 545ia petro I have to compare performance. Might take a serious look at the Diesel in 2008 when available.
Netjazz

Quick Reply: BMW to offer diesels in US in 2008