Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

YANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Hailander' post='1047939
Hockey is also not a real sport: It's a combination "ice dancing/soccer-on-ice" game.
Ahem...

REAL men play Hockey!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19' post='1047852' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:18 AM
LETS-GO-BLUE-JAYS! AHAHAH

Boys.. its easy to win a worth series when you have a billion dollar salary and roid pigs lol
Cant be that easy since it took 9 years. Last time they even played for a world series was 2003 i believe. People using the payroll excuse are stupid. A huge payroll in baseball doesnt mean your winning anything. If that was the case then Boston and the Yanks would win every year.

Stop complaining about payrolls, the bosox are right there with the yankees.

Anyways...anyone else think the offseason for the yanks will be an interesting one? Matsui is in a contract year, pretty sure Damon is in a contract year, Jorge is old balls, Rivera already said he was dead last night (40 years old), Joba's fastball doesnt move and magically went from 100mph to consistently 94 mph. (yea i know he was hitting 96/97 from time to time but he has lost velocity), and Phil Coke is the biggest idiot in the bullpen.
Old 11-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

can i just say as a dodgers fan...even though i hate the yankees. thank you for embarrassing the phillies. i'm sick them.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='1048293' date='Nov 5 2009, 05:48 PM
Cant be that easy since it took 9 years. Last time they even played for a world series was 2003 i believe. People using the payroll excuse are stupid. A huge payroll in baseball doesnt mean your winning anything. If that was the case then Boston and the Yanks would win every year.

Stop complaining about payrolls, the bosox are right there with the yankees.
Oh brother

Baseball is the ONLY sport that does not have a some form of a salary cap. The last time this issue was discussed among MLB owners, the Yankees were the ONLY team that objected. So as it stands they continue to make millions more $$$ than any other MLB team while they bitch about paying some of those profits to the rest of the league in the form of luxury tax. Although teams like the Yankees traditionally have the highest payroll, almost every team that won the world series had a higher than median payroll. The only exception would be the 2003 Marlins.

A salary cap forces owners, managers, and scouts to evaluate and groom talent - not just throw the most money at it. It creates PARITY. The NFL is a classis example, but since you have a KC CHIEFS player for an avatar you probably wouldn't understand.

Congrats to the Yankees! But until they win a championship without shelling out almost a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for just three players, the payroll excuse will ALWAYS be used.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1048495' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:50 PM
Oh brother

Baseball is the ONLY sport that does not have a some form of a salary cap. The last time this issue was discussed among MLB owners, the Yankees were the ONLY team that objected. So as it stands they continue to make millions more $$$ than any other MLB team while they bitch about paying some of those profits to the rest of the league in the form of luxury tax. Although teams like the Yankees traditionally have the highest payroll, almost every team that won the world series had a higher than median payroll. The only exception would be the 2003 Marlins.

A salary cap forces owners, managers, and scouts to evaluate and groom talent - not just throw the most money at it. It creates PARITY. The NFL is a classis example, but since you have a KC CHIEFS player for an avatar you probably wouldn't understand.

Congrats to the Yankees! But until they win a championship without shelling out almost a HALF A BILLION DOLLARS for just three players, the payroll excuse will ALWAYS be used.
Blah, blah, blah. HAHAHAHAHA!

If someone can tell me who had the highest payroll in 1927 and 1939, you'll win a prize (I should probably mention that the Yanks won the WS both of those years too). Anyone? Take a guess. Pretty please! Are you stumped?
Old 11-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1047965' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:27 AM
Hockey is also not a real sport: It's a combination "ice dancing/soccer-on-ice" game.
Now that is definitely the stupidest thing you've ever said. Hahahahaha!
Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not going to feed the trolls about this whole hockey debate so I'll just add the following the stay out of it...

All I can say, as I watch the Pens play the Kings right now, is that unless you actually attend an NHL hockey game in person, it's very hard to appreciate the incredible athleticism of the players. Also, I have to agree that once you go to a game and get a feel for the speed, the hits and the level of excitement, go ice skating one time and try to imagine yourself doing what these guys do for an entire game.

If that doesn't work, stick to watching basketball or something...

(In case you haven't figured it out from the above, I feel the same way about basketball as porsche911targa feels about hockey!)

LET'S GO PENS!!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1048554' date='Nov 5 2009, 11:27 PM
I'm not going to feed the trolls about this whole hockey debate so I'll just add the following the stay out of it...

All I can say, as I watch the Pens play the Kings right now, is that unless you actually attend an NHL hockey game in person, it's very hard to appreciate the incredible athleticism of the players. Also, I have to agree that once you go to a game and get a feel for the speed, the hits and the level of excitement, go ice skating one time and try to imagine yourself doing what these guys do for an entire game.

If that doesn't work, stick to watching basketball or something...

(In case you haven't figured it out from the above, I feel the same way about basketball as porsche911targa feels about hockey!)

LET'S GO PENS!!
I grew up playing ice hockey since I was a baby (my mother was a college figure skater and my father was a college hockey player. For those that know NYC, they met at Wollman Rink in the mid-60's and the deal was sealed. Hahahaha!). I ended up on skates when I was 17 months old, as I was learning to walk. They had custom single blade skates made for me, as they didn't believe in the double blades for children. For them, that was cheating (I'm making my parents sound like Agassi's parents. LOL!). I played very competitive club ice hockey up thru college, traveling all over the country and even to Canada (Cote Saint Luc, baby!).

Aside from being a little biased , I will say this... Everyone learns how to function on 2 feet in their life. That's innate. Now, throw a pair of skates on those feet, while keeping your head up, while stick-handling through opponents, while avoiding getting plowed over by another player, crushing you into the boards at 20mph is another story. I grew up playing competitive Soccer, Tennis and Baseball too. However, ice hockey was my life. It's definitely one of the hardest sports out there. Take off the skates and it falls into the same category as most other sports. Most sports require precise hand-eye coordination, along with good foot work. However, once that footwork changes to ice, you have a whole other dimension to consider. This is where you lose 99% of the athletes from other sports. We've even seen a few athletes play in the NFL and MLB, during their careers (Bo Jackson, Deion Sanders, etc.). We've even seen some play for the NBA and try for the MLB . However, we've never seen anyone go from MLB, NFL or the NBA to the NHL.

And as Rudy said, once you attend an NHL game live, your view of the sport will change forever. My wife was never a big hockey fan and never understood. After taking her skating one night and then to a game, that all changed. It's her favorite sport now. The level of excitement is unreal!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1048495' date='Nov 5 2009, 09:50 PM
Oh brother

The yankees have had the highest payroll the past 9 years. How many titles do they have? They have 1, the one they just won. Like i said before if its all about payrolls then the yanks and sox would win every year. Do they? Clearly they dont.

Parity huh? 2 teams in the nfl account for 5 of the last 8 super bowls. Steelers have 2 and the Patriots have 3. If it wasnt for the luckiest catch in super bowl history the pats would have 4. In that same time period in the MLB no one has TWO. PARITY THAT.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

I am happy for Darek Jeter and Mo Rivera. Jeter is arguably the most statictically consistent all around player in all of baseball. The guy is just a beast. He's avoided any serious injury and has maintained close to .300 career BA. Mo is arguably the most prolific closer we will witness in our lifetime.

Other then that, Joe Girardi is my guy and I think Nick Swisher had a hell of a year. Quiet WS, but one hell of a year. Rest of the Yankees can go pound sand.

Congrats to Yankee fans. Hope the Cubs can bring it home in 2010.

Oh and I meet in the middle on the money debate. Yes, the yankees always seem to build a dream team every year. This year was particularly profound with adding CC and Burnett. However, the baseball season is very very long...and for the rotation to persevere and execute in the playoffs...well, money can't necessarily buy that.