Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

YANKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE'S!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by m630' post='1048870' date='Nov 6 2009, 11:48 AM
now now now, jealous never looks good, especially on a GAL!!!

while i DESPISE the Yankees, i give them props, because I, just like every other sports fan in the world, WISH that our TEAM would go out and do what they do every year to put themselves in a position to WIN, which is the point.

my beloved Metropolitans have always spent in the top 5, and yet, I cry each and every year since '86 (especially in 2000 ) while im left on the side lines. SO, yes, spending tons MAY get you close, but if you dont have a great team, you aint winning...and we havent

And, you must really get over the Pats, they LOST to the GIANTS, there is no such thing as "IF ONLY" in sports! We ruled the world, beat that crap wanna be undefeated team, thank you, and we go down into the history books for playing and WINNING the best Super Bowl of all times, with the greatest catch in a Super Bowl history.

GIANTS!

now only if our defense would show up again this season...
The facts still remain that Pats have 3 Super Bowl victories, and the Giants have 3, but only 1 in recent history and were never considered a dynasty, while the Pats were and are considered a dynasty.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i sport

A relevant CNN article

"the Yankees were actually more efficient with their payroll this past season than were the hapless cross-town Mets, Cleveland Indians and basement-dwelling Washington Nationals."
Old 11-06-2009, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='1048918' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:02 AM
A relevant CNN article

"the Yankees were actually more efficient with their payroll this past season than were the hapless cross-town Mets, Cleveland Indians and basement-dwelling Washington Nationals."

Great article, thanks for sharing. I love this quote:

"This team's identity was about never giving up," said Ganis. "When you watch their walk-off celebrations, they look like giddy junior high schoolers out there."
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1048890' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:13 PM
The facts still remain that Pats have 3 Super Bowl victories, and the Giants have 3, but only 1 in recent history and were never considered a dynasty, while the Pats were and are considered a dynasty.
The GIANTS are a storied franchise, with 7 NFL world championships, ranking 3rd overall in history. They are way beyond a dynasty, playing in the Greatest Game Ever, as well as the Greatest Superbowl ever

The current generation Pats are considered cheaters by those that are objective, never have I thought, dynasty!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by m630' post='1048961' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:02 PM
The GIANTS are a storied franchise, with 7 NFL world championships, ranking 3rd overall in history. They are way beyond a dynasty, playing in the Greatest Game Ever, as well as the Greatest Superbowl ever

The current generation Pats are considered cheaters by those that are objective, never have I thought, dynasty!

"7 NFL world championships?"
If being thoroughly prepared before a game (or a meeting) is cheating, then consider me a cheater. Remember, they only won 1 Super bowl under what non-fans consider "cheating" conditions. The other two were won after the big baby squealed on them and they were fined, etc. BTW, Ex-Giants God Bill Parcell admitted he did that all the time and this is where Belichick learned how to do this. By that logic, your Giants were cheaters, too.

Also, it has been said over and over again by all teams that they never show their game plans during pre-game walk-through. I don't even know why all these idiot coaches even bothered.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='1048974' date='Nov 6 2009, 02:27 PM
"7 NFL world championships?"

The Giants rank third among all NFL franchises with seven NFL titles: four in the pre?Super Bowl era (1927, 1934, 1938, 1956) and three since the advent of the Super Bowl (Super Bowls XXI (1986), XXV (1990), and XLII (2007). Their championship tally is surpassed only by the Green Bay Packers (12) and Chicago Bears (9).
Old 11-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by m630' post='1049018' date='Nov 6 2009, 03:21 PM

The Giants rank third among all NFL franchises with seven NFL titles: four in the pre?Super Bowl era (1927, 1934, 1938, 1956) and three since the advent of the Super Bowl (Super Bowls XXI (1986), XXV (1990), and XLII (2007). Their championship tally is surpassed only by the Green Bay Packers (12) and Chicago Bears (9).
Who's a cheater now? Close, but no cigar. 3 SuperBowls and we won't even mention the fact that they are really a New Jersey team.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1048825' date='Nov 6 2009, 10:29 AM
These arguments are ridiculous, please see post #17 and do the math yourself. The Yankees (in terms of expenditure on payroll/team value ratio) are actually 12th in MLB. Do they have the highest payroll? Yes. Are they also the most valuable franchise in baseball? Undoubtedly, by nearly $600 Million. ALL baseball teams benefit from the TV contracts, and what was the highest rated WS in recent memory - that's right, the one we just saw. As opposed to the one last year which set RECORD LOWS, because when the Phillies play the Rays - NO ONE CARES!!!
What arguments in my post (#54) do you find ridiculous? My first two paragraphs are fact. You'd be hard pressed to dispute the last two paragraphs.

Stating rankings based on ratios is simply one way of looking at it - I'm not disputing that point. But the bottom line according to your numbers is that the Yankees still paid $80 million more to field a team than Boston. The way it is now, teams that spend the most money on their players have the best chances of winning a championship. So every year you can expect the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets (if they can stop choking and getting hurt) to make the playoffs. When the Braves had deep pockets they were a regular in the playoffs too. Every other team that couldn't afford to spend alot of money or just chose to be cheap closed up shop at the end of Sep.

Level the playing field by giving every team the same amount of money to spend and you make it more competitive and way more exciting. So the Phillies - Rays WS set record lows, how about an Eagles - Bucs conference championship (not realistic but work with me)? You think that matchup would get low ratings? Does ANY NFL playoff game get low ratings? The SB is the most watched spots event in the world - regardless of who is playing.

If NFL teams were allowed to keep payroll in proportion to their value, I guess we would all be waiting for the Dallas Cowboys to scoop up the best players - imagine that
Old 11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1049039' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:49 PM
What arguments in my post (#54) do you find ridiculous? My first two paragraphs are fact. You'd be hard pressed to dispute the last two paragraphs.

Stating rankings based on ratios is simply one way of looking at it - I'm not disputing that point. But the bottom line according to your numbers is that the Yankees still paid $80 million more to field a team than Boston. The way it is now, teams that spend the most money on their players have the best chances of winning a championship. So every year you can expect the Yankees, Red Sox, and Mets (if they can stop choking and getting hurt) to make the playoffs. When the Braves had deep pockets they were a regular in the playoffs too. Every other team that couldn't afford to spend alot of money or just chose to be cheap closed up shop at the end of Sep.

Level the playing field by giving every team the same amount of money to spend and you make it more competitive and way more exciting. So the Phillies - Rays WS set record lows, how about an Eagles - Bucs conference championship (not realistic but work with me)? You think that matchup would get low ratings? Does ANY NFL playoff game get low ratings? The SB is the most watched spots event in the world - regardless of who is playing.

If NFL teams were allowed to keep payroll in proportion to their value, I guess we would all be waiting for the Dallas Cowboys to scoop up the best players - imagine that

I have to dispute you here: As has been proven (in this WS and others) - it's the teams with tradition and huge fanbases that generate ratings. No does or will EVER care about a Milwaukee/KC World Series. Ratings would be (as proven last year) in the crapper costing MLB millions.

Football cannot be compared, simply because I (as a Steelers fan) can watch and be interested in ANY game that comes on. Bears/Eagles? Yes, please. Broncos/Raiders? Sure why not.

Baseball is different, you only pay attention when you have an interest - whether it's fandom or hatred of the Yankees, they have proven that with them in the WS rating soar and high ratings = $$$$$$$$ for ALL MLB team, not just the Yanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but when you're realistic, capping the cash may bring parity and may bring the demise of baseball as well. Baseball NEEDS teams like the Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets in the playoffs and/or WS to keep ratings high. Otherwise everyone suffers when the next TV contract is significantly lower. I mean, did YOU watch last years WS? If you say yes you are either lying or one of the few that watched one of the WORST rated WS EVER!!!
Old 11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='1048634' date='Nov 6 2009, 12:50 AM
I am happy for Darek Jeter and Mo Rivera. Jeter is arguably the most statictically consistent all around player in all of baseball. The guy is just a beast. He's avoided any serious injury and has maintained close to .300 career BA.
After the 2009 season Jeter has a .317 career BA. Definitely one of the most exciting Yankees in my lifetime.