Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Newest: 2006 e61 530xiT, 6spd man, Sport/Prem/Cold/Nav pkgs Next: 1999 e36 Z3c 2.8, SN 00002, 5spd First: 1988 e30 M3, "M Monster" track-day car, 3.2L s52 conversion, roll cage, wicked suspension, Quaiffe ATB diff, 3.46 gears, 285hp @ crank, 2700lbs....not slow.

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='1013311' date='Sep 21 2009, 09:29 PM
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hack-wind...opard,8704.html

Quick Article Summary

"It is of the opinion of Charlie Miller, a well known Mac security guru, that even Snow Leopard, the latest version of Mac OS X, isn't as safe as Windows."

"One key point is that Snow Leopard still doesn't have ASLR, or address space layout randomization, which randomly arranges the position of key data making it harder for hackers
to target for exploits."

"One thing that Snow Leopard did adapt, which Windows has had since XP SP2, is DEP (data execution prevention). With DEP, buffer overflow attacks are much harder to execute."

"Windows is the more secure OS, the large install based of Microsoft-based systems make them a much more attractive target for hackers."

"Snow Leopard's more secure than Leopard, but it's not as secure as Vista or Windows 7," he said."

Possibly factual. Misses the broader point likely.
Pragmatically speaking, however, as a Mac user since my first SE30 I have yet to experience a virus issue and, furthermore, I wonder how many hours of "down-time" (non-productive time) I would have experienced otherwise?
Having also used PC's extensively (under duress) in a previous profession, I can't imagine using them by choice unless the app isn't available..in which case I run the Win app in XP on my Intel Mac....
Old 09-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018753
Apple was the major force behind FireWire! They developed the technology in the first place!

I agree they are very slow on BluRay (but that is coming), but here they are making a very smart move in getting Intel behind LightPeak. Apple alone isn't necessarily going to force the adoption of the technology, but Intel is of course able to do so through its chipsets.
Hey Steve,

The thing with BluRay and Apple is not so critical as some may think. For the US market it may be a stringent need, but as Apple ships Worldwide and the rest of the world being just as important as the US market, i don't think they have reason to hurry up with BluRay.

You've got to think that is most countries BluRay is still in infant stages. Here i hardly can find anymore BluRay blanks, as at first, when they came out, they cost roughly 14 Euros each which is considered too expensive.

As prices will continue to drop (worldwide) and the technology becomes the new standard (DVD being the current one) Apple will probably make the move. Till then i couldn't care less for the lack of BluRay.

PS: Have BluRay writers on a few Sony Vaio laptops and have never ever written a BluRay and i only read 2 or 3 discs so far.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018753' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:59 PM
Nvidia is AWESOME! Windows is AWESOME! 10Gb is awesome! anything that's get me from A to B faster and easier is awesome.

The end justifies the means.

And for me, the end is my work, the means is DEFINITELY not racks and racks of servers.

Exhibit A: 2xQuad-Core(8 cores) Xeon 5500 with 32GB of RAM - is my weapon of choice.

Every time i fire up this thing and start working I get a smile on my face, no matter what others tell me.

Your server looks very nice, but being green and saving money is an integral part of the "means" these days. Sadly, there really isn't any "end" that can justify ignoring these factors.

Ultimately, virtualizing your workload (along with the workload of many other people) on racks and racks of servers is far more efficient than having every person (creative or otherwise) standing up a server/workstation class box on her desk. (I'm not calling you a girl by saying "her", I'm using proper English)
Old 09-28-2009, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1018771' date='Sep 27 2009, 10:25 PM
Apple was the major force behind FireWire! They developed the technology in the first place!

Apropos this discussion, Apple gave us possibly the worst security hole in the entire IT industry when it bestowed the miracle of Firewire on us (insert sarcasm here). This vulnerability persists today and is at such a deep hardware level, it affects -all- OSes and can even bypass Full Disk Encryption.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1019099' date='Sep 28 2009, 05:15 PM
Your server looks very nice, but being green and saving money is an integral part of the "means" these days. Sadly, there really isn't any "end" that can justify ignoring these factors.

Ultimately, virtualizing your workload (along with the workload of many other people) on racks and racks of servers is far more efficient than having every person (creative or otherwise) standing up a server/workstation class box on her desk. (I'm not calling you a girl by saying "her", I'm using proper English)
True but not everyone needs more than one server. I almost went with this baby for my company but since we don't have a room specially dedicated for server(s), and we don't need one, i thought working with it near to a meter of my ears would hurt more than the completely silent Mac Pro. Moreover an investment in a small rack like a 4U Gizmack would result in a $ 1000 expenditure, money which can very well be invested in hardware for a Mac Pro.
Attached Thumbnails Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X-picture_1.png  
Old 09-28-2009, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1019002' date='Sep 28 2009, 04:16 AM
Hey Steve,

The thing with BluRay and Apple is not so critical as some may think. For the US market it may be a stringent need, but as Apple ships Worldwide and the rest of the world being just as important as the US market, i don't think they have reason to hurry up with BluRay.

You've got to think that is most countries BluRay is still in infant stages. Here i hardly can find anymore BluRay blanks, as at first, when they came out, they cost roughly 14 Euros each which is considered too expensive.

As prices will continue to drop (worldwide) and the technology becomes the new standard (DVD being the current one) Apple will probably make the move. Till then i couldn't care less for the lack of BluRay.

PS: Have BluRay writers on a few Sony Vaio laptops and have never ever written a BluRay and i only read 2 or 3 discs so far.

This is my only contention with Apple, it unfortunately HAS been way too slow in terms of BluRay. It has been the industry standard for over a year now and its been around for several years already, and Apple should have already intergrated the technologies into its products. Even if not standard, it should have been an option on the MacPro and Macbook Pro in 2009. There is no reason for a Superdrive anymore when the discs are nearly useless and obsolete. It is unacceptable for Apple to have dragged its feet for so long in this area of HD video as it is the leader in such technologies and advance editing, and there is no reason not to offer this capability at this point.

The good news is that recent rumors have it that Apple may finally be putting BluRay tech in its next offerings, and as soon as they do, I will purchase my next hardware.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1019099' date='Sep 28 2009, 07:15 AM

LOL. that's not a server. at least that's not what i use it for.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1019105' date='Sep 28 2009, 10:24 AM
True but not everyone needs more than one server. I almost went with this baby for my company but since we don't have a room specially dedicated for server(s), and we don't need one, i thought working with it near to a meter of my ears would hurt more than the completely silent Mac Pro. Moreover an investment in a small rack like a 4U Gizmack would result in a $ 1000 expenditure, money which can very well be invested in hardware for a Mac Pro.

Sure... you'd want to stick that in a data "closet" if not a data center. A lot of companies will have a contractor build a little locked closet where it will put a rack for the router, switch, fw, servers, etc...

I have two 1U servers in my home office for testing (running VMware ESX 4.0) and they are noisy even with the fan throttling. I only run them when I am using them due to this. If you keep server-class hardware near to you, sound levels can be an issue.

To your point about 1 unit, you would probably want at least a 2 box cluster to ensure uptime...
Old 09-28-2009, 07:28 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1019135' date='Sep 28 2009, 11:22 AM
LOL. that's not a server. at least that's not what i use it for.
It has dual Xeons (server CPUs), a server class motherboard, and a power supply meant to support those server components. Due to the physical case it would likely be a "workstation class" box, but for the purpose of my argument it's the same. The power draw is similar as is the use case it fulfills.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1019002' date='Sep 28 2009, 01:16 AM
Also you've got to throw a SSD inside.
Bought 2 X-25M G2 160GB SSDs. One for the Macbook Pro and one for the Mac Pro.
Can't wait.

Quick Reply: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X