Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1018417' date='Sep 27 2009, 12:31 PM
Absolutely agree. I saw this today on Macrumors too - looks like an excellent innovation, multiple 10Gb/s connections that support anything, you can plug your monitor, drives, virtually any peripheral into any available port. Apparently Apple developed the technology and then worked with Intel to finish it. Either way, 10Gb/s connections are fine by me.
I think a good analogy here is BMW more concerned with performance/driving experience rather than friggin' cup holders.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1018417' date='Sep 27 2009, 12:31 PM
Absolutely agree. I saw this today on Macrumors too - looks like an excellent innovation, multiple 10Gb/s connections that support anything, you can plug your monitor, drives, virtually any peripheral into any available port. Apparently Apple developed the technology and then worked with Intel to finish it. Either way, 10Gb/s connections are fine by me.
Yes. I think Steve Jobs came up with the idea and presented to Intel's Paul Otellini.

Apple has learned its lesson. Instead of presenting the technology itself, with its much smaller user base - it gave to it's partner Intel, industry standard on CPU and other system technologies, to present.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusi...intel-could-be/
Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018435' date='Sep 27 2009, 01:06 PM
Yes. I think Steve Jobs came up with the idea and presented to Intel's Paul Otellini.

Apple has learned its lesson. Instead of presenting the technology itself, with its much smaller user base - it gave to it's partner Intel, industry standard on CPU and other system technologies, to present.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/26/exclusi...intel-could-be/
Yep - very cool stuff. The suggestion that a technology like this is perfect for the rumored Apple tablet is probably bang on the money. With just one LightPeak port a tablet could drive an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and attach to external drives and a wired network. Interesting times ahead...
Old 09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Security through obscurity.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018408' date='Sep 27 2009, 02:21 PM
Instead of thinking about/using past technologies (USB,Firewire,Aanalog display(EWWW!!!), Gigabit Ehthernet, HDMI.. etc) to be green and efficient. Apple is moving forward (with Intel) on a new interconnect Standard - Light Peak.

I am SO glad Apple is more concerned about us creative professionals who need faster throughputs, better OS for usability, etc, rather than multi-million deployment of client desktops. I LOVE Apple for that. (Don't change a thing Apple)
Great stuff! Can't wait to see what lies ahead
Old 09-27-2009, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018408' date='Sep 27 2009, 03:21 PM
also,

Instead of thinking about/using past technologies (USB,Firewire,Aanalog display(EWWW!!!), Gigabit Ehthernet, HDMI.. etc) to be green and efficient. Apple is moving forward (with Intel) on a new interconnect Standard - Light Peak.

I am SO glad Apple is more concerned about us creative professionals who need faster throughputs, better OS for usability, etc, rather than multi-million deployment of client desktops. I LOVE Apple for that. (Don't change a thing Apple)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khPx1dEIPnA

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

Nvidia has solutions for big creative shops. Stack one of these (or more) in a rack, and you'll have all the horsepower for any possible creative work you might want to do in a virtualized client workgroup.

I'm sure there will be a place for stuff like Light Peak, but I doubt it will be any more popular than the myriad of other "standards" there already are for 10Gbit.

Don't worry about Apple changing faster than you'd like... they make their numbers putting training wheels on technology and streamers on handlebars.
Old 09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1018741' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:48 PM
Nvidia has solutions for big creative shops. Stack one of these (or more) in a rack, and you'll have all the horsepower for any possible creative work you might want to do in a virtualized client workgroup.

I'm sure there will be a place for stuff like Light Peak, but I doubt it will be any more popular than the myriad of other "standards" there already are for 10Gbit.
Nvidia is AWESOME! Windows is AWESOME! 10Gb is awesome! anything that's get me from A to B faster and easier is awesome.

The end justifies the means.

And for me, the end is my work, the means is DEFINITELY not racks and racks of servers.

Exhibit A: 2xQuad-Core(8 cores) Xeon 5500 with 32GB of RAM - is my weapon of choice.

Every time i fire up this thing and start working I get a smile on my face, no matter what others tell me.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Don't worry about Apple changing faster than you'd like... they make their numbers putting training wheels on technology and streamers on handlebars.
Apple does tend to make technology more accessible to a wider audience, but that's not necessarily analogous to them fitting technology with training wheels...

Apple isn't always the first with new technology, although they have been behind a fair number of innovative products and standards.

In this case, LightPeak sounds like a better solution than USB3.0 and other emerging technologies - and it appears that Intel agrees.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

I agree. Apple is not the best at pushing standards (Firewire,DisplayPort,BluRay,etc,etc,etc).
I'm afraid the Light Peak technology will be their next failed attempt, but I'm eager to see how it pans out.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:25 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018764' date='Sep 27 2009, 07:14 PM
I agree. Apple is not the best at pushing standards (Firewire,DisplayPort,BluRay,etc,etc,etc).
I'm afraid the Light Peak technology will be their next failed attempt, but I'm eager to see how it pans out.
Apple was the major force behind FireWire! They developed the technology in the first place!

I agree they are very slow on BluRay (but that is coming), but here they are making a very smart move in getting Intel behind LightPeak. Apple alone isn't necessarily going to force the adoption of the technology, but Intel is of course able to do so through its chipsets.

Quick Reply: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X