Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1015903' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:04 AM
those are fundamentally different on windows and mac.

startup scripts.. windows commands don't run on mac os. (but you can have mac automatically run automator or applescript upon login)

map drives - yes, but must admin using os x server. (mac os do not use drive letters). the drives are "mounted". smb/nfs/afp/etc... VERY EASY TO DO.

setup printers - that's done on the client side. but very easy to do when admin using os x server. or push a .plist file to the client computer.

set deault homepage - very easy to to - my client (Fortune 500 company) has this pushed to my mac but I always override it with www.google.com
*see: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...0&tstart=60

Show computer name and ip address as wallpaper? yuck. screw that. but it's easy to show computer name ad ip address on the menu bar. much cleaner.
also, i can vpn/remote desktop into a windows machine at the site location and use all its windows function on my mac using:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
*update: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/974283
sometimes i *have to test web pages on IE6(ewwwwwwwww), the company still uses IE6 on all its client PC's - and that's what I do.

try remote desktoping into a mac with on windows.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1015909' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:09 AM
also, i can vpn/remote desktop into a windows machine at the site location and use all its windows function on my mac using:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
sometimes i *have to test web pages on IE6(ewwwwwwwww), the company still uses IE6 on all its client PC's - and that's what I do.

try remote desktoping into a mac with on windows.
oh i forgot to mention. i dual boot (via Boot Camp) to windows 7 and/or run windows 7 via Parallels desktop (virtual environment) on my Snow Leopard.
Maybe I'm worng, but I don't think you can virtual Mac OS on windows.

WINDOWS 7 IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by acuteperformance' post='1015889' date='Sep 24 2009, 09:48 AM
integrate i need it to run my startup scripts, map drives, setup printers, set default homepage to our intranet, show the computer name and ip address as the wall paper

if i can do all that on a Mac i'll be mighty mighty happy and do it immediately in my network.
Cool. If you do decide to add Macs to your network and is running into problems, please let me know. I'd be more than glad to help.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:29 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

thanks for the tips! my comments are in red.

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1015903' date='Sep 24 2009, 10:04 AM
those are fundamentally different on windows and mac.

startup scripts.. windows commands don't run on mac os. (but you can have mac automatically run automator or applescript upon login)
can i do this w/o having to either (1) walk to each mac or (2) remote into each mac? w/ group policies in windows environment i can just push it to all PCs.

map drives - yes, but must admin using os x server. (mac os do not use drive letters). the drives are "mounted". smb/nfs/afp/etc... VERY EASY TO DO.
here lies the problem, i want to accomplish this with our existing infrastructure and not invest in more equipment. now if i can push a login script like above that would solve it

setup printers - that's done on the client side. but very easy to do when admin using os x server. or push a .plist file to the client computer.

Show computer name and ip address as wallpaper? yuck. screw that. but it's easy to show computer name ad ip address on the menu bar. much cleaner.
how do i do this? again not wanting to walk to each mac or remote.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='1013341' date='Sep 21 2009, 10:06 PM
All well and good, but this is how I see it. I use Windows out of necessity, but I use Mac OS out of choice. I've lost countless hours of productivity due to Windows issues, I've lost very little time due to preventable issues on my (multiple) Macs. So hats off to Charlie Miller, but I'm much happier with Mac OS X and much more comfortable that I'll get what I need to do done, without slowdowns, shutdowns and crashes.
+1!!!
Attached Thumbnails Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X-images.jpg  
Old 09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

windows FTW!
Old 09-27-2009, 05:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

There is one thing that Apple won't do currently that really sits in contrast with its image. It's called VDI, and it is something that the "Green brigade" really needs.

VDI is "Virtual Desktop Infrastructure", and it would permit OS X to be deployed to thin or "zero" clients in a multi-tenant or Enterprise environment. In other words, an office could have one or two of these (Apple Xserve):

...and then a bunch of these, with the monitor, keys, and mice:

Trouble is, you can't. Apple won't let you (legally) and has made it almost impossible to even do technically.

Why won't Apple join the party? Well... it cannibalizes their closed-hardware model, and would kill their $1000+ per seat hardware sale.

If they're serious about being green, they need to do this IMO. Just about any other OS is able to and is on board to be green.

Pano Logic has something they call "zero client" VDI. It's pretty fantastic.

http://www.panologic.com/videos-podcasts

Old 09-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1018224' date='Sep 27 2009, 09:38 AM
There is one thing that Apple won't do currently that really sits in contrast with its image. It's called VDI, and it is something that the "Green brigade" really needs.

VDI is "Virtual Desktop Infrastructure", and it would permit OS X to be deployed to thin or "zero" clients in a multi-tenant or Enterprise environment. In other words, an office could have one or two of these (Apple Xserve):

...and then a bunch of these, with the monitor, keys, and mice:

If they're serious about being green, they need to do this IMO. Just about any other OS is able to and is on board to be green.

Pano Logic has something they call "zero client" VDI. It's pretty fantastic.

http://www.panologic.com/videos-podcasts
We are looking at VDI for our desktops. Most of which have apps that can work through Citrix. It is not cost effective, not really a green technology either. You replace a desktop with a much less capable (but no less expensive) thin client. You then build a heavy duty virtual server cluster with expensive shared SAN disk. It has to be well designed since it CAN'T go down. The network also CAN'T go down. Although that's no different than fat clients...... The only savings is reduced desk top technician man hours (we have 25,000 desktops at nearly 300 locations) but the server team support of the cluster cancels much of that.

Our VDI folks have gone to conferences looking for advice. What they found is among the large enterprises, we are more the pioneers. No one had it in full scale production yet.

Bottom line: I'm not sold, neither are others. But it is on the list for 2010 to deploy in a small scale.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='1018224' date='Sep 27 2009, 06:38 AM
also,

Instead of thinking about/using past technologies (USB,Firewire,Aanalog display(EWWW!!!), Gigabit Ehthernet, HDMI.. etc) to be green and efficient. Apple is moving forward (with Intel) on a new interconnect Standard - Light Peak.

I am SO glad Apple is more concerned about us creative professionals who need faster throughputs, better OS for usability, etc, rather than multi-million deployment of client desktops. I LOVE Apple for that. (Don't change a thing Apple)

http://techresearch.intel.com/articles/None/1813.htm

Old 09-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by heavy_g' post='1018408' date='Sep 27 2009, 12:21 PM
also,

Instead of thinking about/using past technologies (USB,Firewire,Aanalog display(EWWW!!!), Gigabit Ehthernet, HDMI.. etc) to be green and efficient. Apple is moving forward (with Intel) on a new interconnect Standard - Light Peak.

I am SO glad Apple is more concerned about us creative professionals who need faster throughputs, better OS for usability, etc, rather than multi-million deployment of client desktops. I LOVE Apple for that. (Don't change a thing Apple)
Absolutely agree. I saw this today on Macrumors too - looks like an excellent innovation, multiple 10Gb/s connections that support anything, you can plug your monitor, drives, virtually any peripheral into any available port. Apparently Apple developed the technology and then worked with Intel to finish it. Either way, 10Gb/s connections are fine by me.

Quick Reply: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X