Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/hack-wind...opard,8704.html

Quick Article Summary

"It is of the opinion of Charlie Miller, a well known Mac security guru, that even Snow Leopard, the latest version of Mac OS X, isn't as safe as Windows."

"One key point is that Snow Leopard still doesn't have ASLR, or address space layout randomization, which randomly arranges the position of key data making it harder for hackers
to target for exploits."

"One thing that Snow Leopard did adapt, which Windows has had since XP SP2, is DEP (data execution prevention). With DEP, buffer overflow attacks are much harder to execute."

"Windows is the more secure OS, the large install based of Microsoft-based systems make them a much more attractive target for hackers."

"Snow Leopard's more secure than Leopard, but it's not as secure as Vista or Windows 7," he said."
Old 09-21-2009, 06:04 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

2 words... bull shit
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

All well and good, but this is how I see it. I use Windows out of necessity, but I use Mac OS out of choice. I've lost countless hours of productivity due to Windows issues, I've lost very little time due to preventable issues on my (multiple) Macs. So hats off to Charlie Miller, but I'm much happier with Mac OS X and much more comfortable that I'll get what I need to do done, without slowdowns, shutdowns and crashes.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Tex_Phil - that was the first draft of my post, too
Old 09-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

There is some truth to this. Check out it out at Wired.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

Nevermind, it's the same author.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I've spent 3 hours tonight trying to get all this BS working in windows. I've rebooted a total of 8 times in that time frame and still can't get what I want to work. Its so frustrating, random programs crashing.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='1013386' date='Sep 22 2009, 06:00 AM
I've spent 3 hours tonight trying to get all this BS working in windows. I've rebooted a total of 8 times in that time frame and still can't get what I want to work. Its so frustrating, random programs crashing.
Tell me about it. I'm going to disassable my very expensive PC soon just because of Windows. Vista sucks and it's such a hog, XP is old and the 64 bit (i need 64 bit OS for my 8GB RAM) is not mature enough, and don't even get me started with Windows 7. Last week i kept "fixing" Windows 7 as it stubbornly refused to boot up anymore. After the windows logo dissapeared the screen went black and froze, system restore didn't help so decided to reinstall. After a few HOURS of reinstalling my apps and configuring them properly, the problem reappeared.

I'm so sick and tired of this. This is so much BS and hype with MICROSHIT. Sorry but i'm mad, and in a way happy i'm posting now from my iMac.

But wtf is up with this?

Also, Apple has only just started implementing the Address Space Layout Randomization anti-exploitation technique by moving to 64-bit addressing in Snow Leopard, Miller said.
The quote is from vegastrashed's link which contradicts apparently this "One key point is that Snow Leopard still doesn't have ASLR, or address space layout randomization, which randomly arranges the position of key data making it harder for hackers to target for exploits."

So which is true?

Anyway man, i'm still waiting as months go by, and seeing all those slowdowns in Windows machines with AV software and all those random full scans that cripple PCs, i'm still waiting for the doom's day scenario Mac users should be afraid of. And guess what still not going to happen.

Bottom line i stick to my belief: To mess up a Unix machine you have to work on it, but to mess up a Windows machine you just have to work with it.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

This is a religious argument.

Like so many other things, the experts aren't immune to the fervor and can sometimes let their beliefs guide their "research". The same thing happens with environmental scientists, climatologists, etc...

I won't try to convince anyone of anything, but I will provide counterpoint to BetterMakeWay's experience with Win7 and say that my Win7 experience has been stellar on multiple machines, both 64 and 32 bit. I have been running it for 6 months.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

BLASPHAMY
OSX IS t3h Gr3at3st App Evarrr

Steve Jobs is GOD , etc etc

please go back under Jobs' desk and continue your previous activity

Quick Reply: Windows More Secure Than Mac OS X