Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Watches

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wolf' post='1064258' date='Nov 28 2009, 08:51 PM
I'd stay with internet shops that have a brick-and-mortar location as well (a real store you can visit). There are some well known "Gray" market shops that buy their product from Authorized Dealers and then sell to the public but there may be warrantee issues. When buying a new watch gray, I'd want box, papers, and serial numbers in tact. I think these shops tend to offer discounts on the order of 25% to 30%.

Check out www.alanfurman.com They are near me. I have been to their store and purchased watch winders from them. I have heard people say good and bad things about them but figure they are a pretty safe bet. Make sure you ask the right questions (are you getting box and papers, serial number in tact, what is the return policy, etc.) At the same time, in this economy, I'd bet you could use them as a "benchmark" and then negotiate better with the Authorized Dealers.

Depending on the line, many authorized dealers will discount 10 to 20% without blinking. It all depends on the make and model....
+1. wait for a good sale and haggle with an authorized retailer. After sales tax i paid 43% off retail.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1064261' date='Nov 28 2009, 06:12 PM
+1. wait for a good sale and haggle with an authorized retailer. After sales tax i paid 43% off retail.
Wow that just goes to show how much that thing was marked up
the biggest offender of that is guitar center, 2300$ now slashed to 1000$ and right now were going to take an additional 200$ off
Old 11-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi, Premium, Adaptive Xenon, Cold Weather

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='1064256
I'd stay with internet shops that have a brick-and-mortar location as well (a real store you can visit). There are some well known "Gray" market shops that buy their product from Authorized Dealers and then sell to the public but there may be warrantee issues. When buying a new watch gray, I'd want box, papers, and serial numbers in tact. I think these shops tend to offer discounts on the order of 25% to 30%.

Check out www.alanfurman.com They are near me. I have been to their store and purchased watch winders from them. I have heard people say good and bad things about them but figure they are a pretty safe bet. Make sure you ask the right questions (are you getting box and papers, serial number in tact, what is the return policy, etc.) At the same time, in this economy, I'd bet you could use them as a "benchmark" and then negotiate better with the Authorized Dealers.

Depending on the line, many authorized dealers will discount 10 to 20% without blinking. It all depends on the make and model....
Thanks to both of you. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. When I had issues with my Tag, I wanted to be able to go to a dealer (although not the one I bought it from) and face a real person. Sure enough, the stupid thing stopped exactly two years and a month after I bought it.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amanuel777' post='1064268' date='Nov 28 2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks to both of you. This is exactly what I was thinking as well. When I had issues with my Tag, I wanted to be able to go to a dealer (although not the one I bought it from) and face a real person. Sure enough, the stupid thing stopped exactly two years and a month after I bought it.
my watch is quartz, so i have less that could go wrong with it. my roomate just bought a $6000 tag. it is beautiful. he has a few nice watches and he thought i was out of my mind for buying anything on jomashop, but the concensus is that it is alright.

I am hardley a watch collector with a movado, but I am a budding enthusiast. I am glad we coule help a little. there is a a wealth of informaton on these boards:

http://www.watchuseek.com/
Old 11-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Contributors

did i miss anything?

hey inknu2, why do you keep editing your posts eliminating the pics you post up?
Old 11-29-2009, 10:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1064181
Woah. I just got back to town and this was the first thread I read. So let me get this straight.

1. You post some pics of some obviously fake watches.
2. You yell by using all caps on multiple occasions.
3. You call a highly-respected member of this forum several names, and tell him he doesn't know what he's talking about, then get mad when you realize he does and you do not.
4. To somehow regain a shread of credibility, you post random pictures of yourself with the "Incredibly Obese Black Man" from South Park?

Did I miss anything?

Remember kids:

Cal, you crack me up, man

I'm not too sure about that "highly-respected" business though

Originally Posted by inknu2' post='1064239
That sounds about right. Most watches have about a 100% mark-up at MSRP, so you should be able to get ~40% off MSRP. Otherwise, go to a different store. Coincidentally, there are companies (Rolex, for example is one of them), whose watches you'll be lucky if you get 30% off on - that's just life. But a $6k Movado at 43% off as a first watch is commendable
Old 11-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Contributors

Maybe there's a business opportunity here for someone in Germany/Switzerland. Buying all y'all's watches for you direct from Geneva or Z?rich and shipping them direct to ya. There's probably some good discounts to be had buying direct from the watchmakers. No chance of any replicas either.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1064861' date='Nov 30 2009, 04:10 AM
Maybe there's a business opportunity here for someone in Germany/Switzerland. Buying all y'all's watches for you direct from Geneva or Z?rich and shipping them direct to ya. There's probably some good discounts to be had buying direct from the watchmakers. No chance of any replicas either.
On more expensive watches, its probably worth it to actually take a weekend trip to Switzerland
Old 11-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1064864' date='Nov 30 2009, 10:17 AM
On more expensive watches, its probably worth it to actually take a weekend trip to Switzerland
Friend of mine bought an expensive Tag watch in Singapore and even wore it on the way back home to Scotland. He got stopped at customs and ended up paying more in duty/customs/VAT than he did for the actual watch. I think he left the box and receipt in his luggage
Old 11-30-2009, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DD_545i' post='1064878' date='Nov 30 2009, 05:21 AM
Friend of mine bought an expensive Tag watch in Singapore and even wore it on the way back home to Scotland. He got stopped at customs and ended up paying more in duty/customs/VAT than he did for the actual watch. I think he left the box and receipt in his luggage
IDK, he must've said something wrong. My friend bought a watch in Zurich airport and paid nothing in customs duties coming back to the U.S. He may have bought it from a Duty Free shop though - that I'm not sure about. The point is, he wasn't even going to Switzerland - his plane happened to have a stop-over in Zurich and now he's got a nice Longines (yes, it is a nice-looking piece - I know its no Patek) to show for it

Quick Reply: Watches