Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!
View Poll Results: do u agree, disagree w this statement?
true
73.33%
false
26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

universal healthcare...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pjinca
Okay, my bad, sarcasm sometimes has difficulty coming across the internet. Here's your cookie

BTW, any response to some of the ideas presented earlier? I think taxing unhealthy foods would certainly help pay for the preventative care outlined in the new bill IF and only IF the taxes generated actually go towards that. Unfortunately I have little faith ANY administration (Rep or Dem) can actually make that happen - their track record on focused taxes is not very good.
sure, id agree since I try to eat healthy, but then are we not targeting a particular group and thus hurting again those that need help most? One often regards unhealthy food as lower cost food, and perhaps its economics that is forcing someone to eat unhealthy, thus the circle we want to break without hurting those that have no other choice but to eat unhealthy

...the only way that this will work, gasp, is perhaps a VAT, which is a winfall for govt that certainly will generate the needed revenue and affect proportionately those that have the means to afford such a consumption tax.

im not suggesting this ofcourse, but it may be the only alternative at some point.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by m630
sure, id agree since I try to eat healthy, but then are we not targeting a particular group and thus hurting again those that need help most? One often regards unhealthy food as lower cost food, and perhaps its economics that is forcing someone to eat unhealthy, thus the circle we want to break without hurting those that have no other choice but to eat unhealthy

...the only way that this will work, gasp, is perhaps a VAT, which is a winfall for govt that certainly will generate the needed revenue and affect proportionately those that have the means to afford such a consumption tax.

im not suggesting this ofcourse, but it may be the only alternative at some point.
I agree that at the outset it will be a penalty for those that have less $$$ (Krozi and I already discussed the reasons unhealthy foods are cheaper), however, by the same token - an increase in demand for healthier foods can lead to more streamlined production processes and therefore a cheaper over all product. That would be a win/win for the country as a whole. Healthcare gets cheaper as the populace gets healthier and thus healthy food production gets cheaper bringing it more in line with the unhealthy foods that people are used to eating now.

For me the worrisome part is the Gov't's track record regarding targeted taxes and the use of the funds they produce. For example: Part of the taxes we pay on gas is supposed to go to road building/improvement - if that's the case why is our infrastructure crumbling and everyone says there's no $$$ for fixing things? Obviously they have used the $$$ elsewhere.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by m630
Indeed - the US is the only major industrialized nation, and the only OECD member nation, that does not raise revenue through VAT and similar taxes.

I can certainly see the US implementing VAT in the reasonably near future. Frankly, reform is long overdue. The perception that the US is a low tax economy is a myth. Income tax rates are competitive, but add in state income tax, sales and use taxes, property taxes and others and the effective rate is incredibly high.
Old 03-26-2010, 12:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by swajames
Indeed - the US is the only major industrialized nation, and the only OECD member nation, that does not raise revenue through VAT and similar taxes.

I can certainly see the US implementing VAT in the reasonably near future. Frankly, reform is long overdue. The perception that the US is a low tax economy is a myth. Income tax rates are competitive, but add in state income tax, sales and use taxes, property taxes and others and the effective rate is incredibly high.

+1 In SoCal the sales tax rates are up to 10.25% in some areas
Old 03-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I want to see a really nice fight from this thread. Please PM when this turns up. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I want to see a really nice fight from this thread. Please PM when this turns up. Thanks.
the Master has spoken!
Old 03-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i

all those things made me upset. so does this crap today. choosing between this bill and the current system is a false choice.