Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Speeding fines in Germany.

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 01:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='260947' date='Mar 28 2006, 12:47 AM
Don't be scared.
There was a dude on a motorcycle who was doing 200 Km/h on the left lane of A5 near Frankfurt/Main. He followed a car which he gave handsignals and flashed his light. He also set the blinker to the left. At this time he was right at the bumper of the car, and stayed there for a couple Km's.
He got fined 1800.- ?uro and his license was taken away. If he wants a new one he has to go back to driving school after quite a while.
That is not much if you know what kind of car he was following and trying to pass. It was a police car. A marked police car, doing 180 Km/h with lights and siren turned on, on the way to an accident...
So, for something serious like this, 1800.- ?uro is not bad.

What a numpty.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='260947' date='Mar 28 2006, 02:47 AM
Don't be scared.
There was a dude on a motorcycle who was doing 200 Km/h on the left lane of A5 near Frankfurt/Main. He followed a car which he gave handsignals and flashed his light. He also set the blinker to the left. At this time he was right at the bumper of the car, and stayed there for a couple Km's.
He got fined 1800.- ?uro and his license was taken away. If he wants a new one he has to go back to driving school after quite a while.
That is not much if you know what kind of car he was following and trying to pass. It was a police car. A marked police car, doing 180 Km/h with lights and siren turned on, on the way to an accident...
So, for something serious like this, 1800.- ?uro is not bad.
I guess he was more in a hurry than the police...
What was he thinking anyway? Maybe he wanted attention? He got it...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 520i, mystic blue, steptronic, beige leather, pdc, bluetooth, rain sensor, BMW sport kit fitted, 18" 166 rep BMW rims , de-badged, cherished reg. chrome grill,

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='259755' date='Mar 25 2006, 11:11 AM
I was wondering how are the speeding fines in Germany considering with how much you pass the legal limit. A friend of mine was caught doing 30km/h over the restriction (130 i think and he was doing 160..ish ) and he got fined with 60 euros. Since i am gonna make a trip to Germany in 3 weeks or so what m i to expect from speeding tickets? What if you're caught doing 50 more than the restriction or 100 over? Like on an 80km/h restriction you would be doing 170-180km/h. What are the fines in that case and at how high can it reach? I'm talking also from a foreing point of view...but what about the germans also? How does the law apply then when speeding?
I'd like some info from you guys in Germany, info regarding both foreing penalty (fines) and national treatment. Since i presume they can't do much to a foreing guy except giving a nasty ticket...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by norham' post='261141' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:24 PM
Have you ever heard of the saying SPEED KILLS be responsible the limits are there for a reason and so are the fines.
Yeah yeah....been there done that. I know what i'm facing...trust me. What makes you bealive that i'm that unconcious? Have you EVER went over the speed limit? I bet you did...so....
Old 03-28-2006, 01:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='261144' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:27 AM
Yeah yeah....been there done that. I know what i'm facing...trust me. What makes you bealive that i'm that unconcious? Have you EVER went over the speed limit? I bet you did...so....
It's not the speed that's dangerous it's the crashing.....

www.safespeed.org
Old 03-28-2006, 01:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='261146' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:35 PM
It's not the speed that's dangerous it's the crashing.....

www.safespeed.org
I don't agree...if you look at it separatley yes it's true. But as the speed increses the risks of fatal crashing increases. Think about it, less time to react, bigger braking distance and so on...
Old 03-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Technically in Germany there are no regulated speed limits on the Autobahns. There's a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h but it is only recommended. However it will be important in case you have an accident.

That being said, I will also mention, that there are many sections with imposed speed limits like 100 km/h or 120 km/h. I've even saw 130 km/h recently. Or in areas that are in construction for example, it can be 80 km/h, 60 km/h, etc.

Usually, as I do a lot of driving in Germany, I do whatever the other drivers around me do. This means, obey posted limits usually, or if many around me do not, I will follow.

Be careful, as there are QUITE A LOT of unmarked police cars on Autobahnen. I was stopped once, but just for a routing check, we laugh together and let me go. Just to be stopped again in 10 minutes by a regular Polizei car. I was a bit agry this time, and after hello, I was just explaining why I am mad. He smiled and said thanks, you can go, if those guys stopped you. Then in another 50 kms, in a resting area, another cop car aproached me. I explained again, and he let me go. It was from Passau to Nurnberg, and only happened once. Probably something had happened and they were looking for something, I don't know.

Never happened before or after. I was also stopped at the German/French border near Karlsruhe / Strassbourg in a day when it was a big Jewish holiday and they were probably looking for neo-nazis materials and so on. We just passed the border to eat in Strassbourg, in a german rental BMW. We were stopped, based on our faces, and the car was searched, papers verified, etc. Along with other 20 German cars. It was scary as a police woman was staying in front of the car between us and the car with the hand on the gun. The same treatment for all the cars there, but others were invited in a mobile lab, and police was preparing some professional lights in the area, as night was falling down. So we assume they were just at the beginning. In 20 minutes we were on our way.

If nobody stops you in Germany to pay a fine while driving a non-EU license plate, you don't need to worry about fines at home. I took a hit in Bremen few weeks ago, forgetting about a speed camera there.

On the other hand police officers are very strict and when needed more than helpful.
Old 03-28-2006, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='261149' date='Mar 28 2006, 11:37 AM
I don't agree...if you look at it separatley yes it's true. But as the speed increses the risks of fatal crashing increases. Think about it, less time to react, bigger braking distance and so on...
The point is safe speed. Sometimes more than the limit is safe, sometimes much less.

In the UK they current position is about trying to make any speeding as shameful as drink driving.

The argument at safespeed - which I quite agree with is that this focus on absolute speed doesn't solve the problem which is more about driver skill and education.

For instance - I know a LOT of drivers who are more of a danger to themselves and other road users at 70mph on the motorway, than I am at 90 mph.

To reinforce this - one of my BIGGEST concerns on the motorway is not that I will crash into the car in front, but that - if I have to brake suddenly - the car behind me will rear end me. This has happened to me twice now and this kind of accident is not about speed - it's about understanding the other road users understanding their own and their cars abilities.

Nothing hacks me off more than following a (usually older) driver pootle down a 60mph (which would be safe at 80mph) road at 50mph (hacking off everyone behind) then continuing at the same speed through a built up area where that speed really IS dangerous.

Clearly inappropriate speed (driving to fast for the circumstances) is dangerous - speed itself is not.

how is it that 70mph has been a magically 'safe' limit for the last 30 years in the UK - but '90 mph' is dangerous, despite MASSIVE improvements in vehicles and roads?

Sorry - I'm starting to rant now...............
Old 03-28-2006, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='261152' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:44 PM
Technically in Germany there are no regulated speed limits on the Autobahns. There's a recommended speed limit of 130 km/h but it is only recommended. However it will be important in case you have an accident.

That being said, I will also mention, that there are many sections with imposed speed limits like 100 km/h or 120 km/h. I've even saw 130 km/h recently. Or in areas that are in construction for example, it can be 80 km/h, 60 km/h, etc.

Usually, as I do a lot of driving in Germany, I do whatever the other drivers around me do. This means, obey posted limits usually, or if many around me do not, I will follow.

Be careful, as there are QUITE A LOT of unmarked police cars on Autobahnen. I was stopped once, but just for a routing check, we laugh together and let me go. Just to be stopped again in 10 minutes by a regular Polizei car. I was a bit agry this time, and after hello, I was just explaining why I am mad. He smiled and said thanks, you can go, if those guys stopped you. Then in another 50 kms, in a resting area, another cop car aproached me. I explained again, and he let me go. It was from Passau to Nurnberg, and only happened once. Probably something had happened and they were looking for something, I don't know.

Never happened before or after. I was also stopped at the German/French border near Karlsruhe / Strassbourg in a day when it was a big Jewish holiday and they were probably looking for neo-nazis materials and so on. We just passed the border to eat in Strassbourg, in a german rental BMW. We were stopped, based on our faces, and the car was searched, papers verified, etc. Along with other 20 German cars. It was scary as a police woman was staying in front of the car between us and the car with the hand on the gun. The same treatment for all the cars there, but others were invited in a mobile lab, and police was preparing some professional lights in the area, as night was falling down. So we assume they were just at the beginning. In 20 minutes we were on our way.

If nobody stops you in Germany to pay a fine while driving a non-EU license plate, you don't need to worry about fines at home. I took a hit in Bremen few weeks ago, forgetting about a speed camera there.

On the other hand police officers are very strict and when needed more than helpful.
Thank for the input bro.
OFF topic: Cand se mai fac intalniri in Bucuresti? A apropo te-ai intors?
Old 03-28-2006, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='261154' date='Mar 28 2006, 01:47 PM
The point is safe speed. Sometimes more than the limit is safe, sometimes much less.

In the UK they current position is about trying to make any speeding as shameful as drink driving.

The argument at safespeed - which I quite agree with is that this focus on absolute speed doesn't solve the problem which is more about driver skill and education.

For instance - I know a LOT of drivers who are more of a danger to themselves and other road users at 70mph on the motorway, than I am at 90 mph.

To reinforce this - one of my BIGGEST concerns on the motorway is not that I will crash into the car in front, but that - if I have to brake suddenly - the car behind me will rear end me. This has happened to me twice now and this kind of accident is not about speed - it's about understanding the other road users understanding their own and their cars abilities.

Nothing hacks me off more than following a (usually older) driver pootle down a 60mph (which would be safe at 80mph) road at 50mph (hacking off everyone behind) then continuing at the same speed through a built up area where that speed really IS dangerous.

Clearly inappropriate speed (driving to fast for the circumstances) is dangerous - speed itself is not.

how is it that 70mph has been a magically 'safe' limit for the last 30 years in the UK - but '90 mph' is dangerous, despite MASSIVE improvements in vehicles and roads?

Sorry - I'm starting to rant now...............
I see your point now...
Yes i agree. But you take it too much subjectively and look at it from some points of view. If you generalise this i think you will come to the same conclusion.
I was speaking more about real speeding, not 70-90-100. Restriction at 120km/h and speed of 200+km/h. That's what i ment.
Anyway totally agree with you. TOTALLY.

Quick Reply: Speeding fines in Germany.