Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

IT Pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amanuel777' post='978608' date='Aug 16 2009, 08:26 PM
I hope you meant DVDRs, right?
haha, of course. the download was 2.5 GB.
Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Contributors

i keep getting "burning failed" when trying to burn the iso.

maybe i should ask this guy:

Old 08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Windows 7 is incredible. I run it in 64 bit on the desktop and I have run it on netbook as well. The RC was rock solid, and the RTM has been out for a while.

Speaking of Vista, the SP2 for Vista came out a couple of months ago. I now run that on my netbook and it is fantastic - nearly the same as Windows 7.

I wouldn't hesitate to get Windows 7. It's a superb product that should do very well.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='979357' date='Aug 17 2009, 12:28 PM
i keep getting "burning failed" when trying to burn the iso.

maybe i should ask this guy:

Forget burning a DVD. Install from a USB stick.

Download Virtual Clone Drive (free) and mount the .iso image. That will make it show up like it's a lettered DVD drive in the "my computer" section of your PC. The BD-ROM drive in this image is virtual. I don't have any optical drives in my desktop (CD/DVD/BD).

IT Pros-virtualclonedrive.jpg

On a Vista PC, follow these commands to make the USB stick bootable, and to copy the contents from the mounted virtual DVD image to the USB stick:

Format the Flash Drive
Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32
assign
exit

Copy Windows 7 DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.
xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

(your drive letters may differ - use the correct source and target letters for the xcopy)

The xcopy takes a -long- time. Let it finish, and don't abort it because it takes a long time. Some files will appear to be stuck, but they're not - it just takes some time on the larger ones.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:00 AM
Contributors

i am back. i am on win7. this OS is BLAZING fast in comparison to vista. WOW. anyway, i will spend the next million hours downloading drivers and reinstalling my software.

win7 automatically detetected pretty much everything though.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='979486' date='Aug 17 2009, 01:48 PM
Forget burning a DVD. Install from a USB stick.

Download Virtual Clone Drive (free) and mount the .iso image. That will make it show up like it's a lettered DVD drive in the "my computer" section of your PC. The BD-ROM drive in this image is virtual. I don't have any optical drives in my desktop (CD/DVD/BD).

Attachment 87266

On a Vista PC, follow these commands to make the USB stick bootable, and to copy the contents from the mounted virtual DVD image to the USB stick:

Format the Flash Drive
Run CMD.EXE and type the following. Note: This set of commands assumes that the USB flash drive is addressed as "disk 1". you should double check that by doing a list of the disks (type "list disk") before cleaning it. If you have multiple hard drives, like an SDFlash drive or a Multibay drive, you could end up wiping your second drive using this command.

diskpart
select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
select partition 1
active
format fs=fat32
assign
exit

Copy Windows 7 DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive
Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.
xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

(your drive letters may differ - use the correct source and target letters for the xcopy)

The xcopy takes a -long- time. Let it finish, and don't abort it because it takes a long time. Some files will appear to be stuck, but they're not - it just takes some time on the larger ones.
thanks man, i appreciate it, that would have been a good idea, but i was already installing as you were posting this. i could have just copied to my external hard drive too i guess.

wiped the entire hard drive clean and made a 20GB partition to reinstall vista on in case of an emergency.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

glad it works out for you.
i just bought a new laptop and waiting for it to arrive. it has vista on it so i'll probably upgrade to 7 too.

just wanted to mention, when you upgrade the windows it's always better to do "clean" install. format the hard drive and install it clean. any windows will run fast when you do that, and it looks like you have fast configuration enough for any OS
Old 08-17-2009, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vlad_b' post='979544' date='Aug 17 2009, 02:25 PM
glad it works out for you.
i just bought a new laptop and waiting for it to arrive. it has vista on it so i'll probably upgrade to 7 too.

just wanted to mention, when you upgrade the windows it's always better to do "clean" install. format the hard drive and install it clean. any windows will run fast when you do that, and it looks like you have fast configuration enough for any OS
yeah, i wiped the HD clean. just a heads up, MS says the RC is only availible for DL till the 20th, unless you have access to technet. i would reccomend DLing it now even if you are not ready to install
Old 08-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Windows 7 is what Vista should have been...well at least it was not as bad as Windows ME
Old 08-17-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributors

i cant install my printer. this is bullcrap. now i am pissed. so much for the vista drivers working with 7.

Quick Reply: IT Pros