Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

IT Pros

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zen68' post='978398' date='Aug 16 2009, 02:56 PM
Stick with XP for now since you only have 2GB of RAM plus Window 7 is still beta. Why would you want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft?

By the way, I'm not really an IT guy. I just know enough to be dangerous
haha. nice avatar!

i cant deal with vista. it is a constant problem. if i had XP, i would stick with it. if i had a restore disc or a clean XP disc, i would use that.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by craigm1841' post='978402
i cant deal with vista. it is a constant problem. if i had XP, i would stick with it. if i had a restore disc or a clean XP disc, i would use that.
My laptop constantly crashes with Vista so I hate it. I spent two hours with Dell Tech Support and they told me to re-install Vista

So far XP seems to work better.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by zen68' post='978408' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:10 PM
Haha, I wanted to put "Got smoothie?" below my avatar but I don't think I have enough posts to do that

My laptop constantly crashes with Vista so I hate it. I spent two hours with Dell Tech Support and they told me to re-install Vista

oh yes. dell tech support. incredible. i called this morning with a question, i spoke to "Nancy" i told her my name was muhammad akbar abdul.

no didnt say that
Old 08-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zen68' post='978398' date='Aug 16 2009, 11:56 AM
Stick with XP for now since you only have 2GB of RAM plus Window 7 is still beta. Why would you want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft?
Windows 7 has been out of Beta since late last month. Unless you consider anything before SP1 as Beta.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zen68' post='978408' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:10 PM

I'm amazed that you were with Tech Support for that long before they told you to reinstall. 15 minutes is the cutoff point where you start costing them money.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

I would use XP over Vista any day.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:56 AM
Contributors

well, 7 finished downloading. I dont have any blank CDRs laying around to burn the ISO. my car is spotless and it is raining. i will run out to wal mart later and pick some up. i'll let you all know how i went.

thanks again for your input.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 550i with SP, Nav, Logic7

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='978426' date='Aug 16 2009, 03:29 PM
I'm amazed that you were with Tech Support for that long before they told you to reinstall. 15 minutes is the cutoff point where you start costing them money.
I was on hold for 10 min, then spent the next 1 hour and a half troubleshooting the hardware. It took forever to run through various checks (Dell XPS). Everything came back negative so they told me to re-install.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Senior Members

Or go with Ubuntu which is free and runs circles around Vista and even Windows 7.

You can also try it from ubuntu.com in live cd mode, meaning your computer will stay untouched but you can try Ubuntu, and even install Wine (from Add/Remove) to check if your Win software runs with it.

I also had Vista on my Sony Vaio laptop but since three months ago went with Ubuntu (not strange to me) as Vista was literally crippling my notebook (took like 3 minutes to load and like 30 seconds to load Outlook). Also MShit kep my hdd all the time stressed. Dunno why! (like defragmentation + windows defender scan but like it never ended). From then i never looked back. And since you are most likely virus free in Linux you will not need an AV (another resource HOG on any platform).

Not even bothered with Windows 7 since i didn't want to be a test pig for MShit and because i've been told from friends that Windows has still problems with the drivers (like a never ending story --- thinking when Vista went out; Vista vs XP drivers ) but win 7 is much faster than Vista.

All i can say now is good luck (till you get your Mac) and be prepared to pay for AV programs specially designed for Win 7. (aka "Windows 7 ready" )
Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='978484' date='Aug 16 2009, 04:58 PM
Or go with Ubuntu which is free and runs circles around Vista and even Windows 7.

You can also try it from ubuntu.com in live cd mode, meaning your computer will stay untouched but you can try Ubuntu, and even install Wine (from Add/Remove) to check if your Win software runs with it.

I also had Vista on my Sony Vaio laptop but since three months ago went with Ubuntu (not strange to me) as Vista was literally crippling my notebook (took like 3 minutes to load and like 30 seconds to load Outlook). Also MShit kep my hdd all the time stressed. Dunno why! (like defragmentation + windows defender scan but like it never ended). From then i never looked back. And since you are most likely virus free in Linux you will not need an AV (another resource HOG on any platform).

Not even bothered with Windows 7 since i didn't want to be a test pig for MShit and because i've been told from friends that Windows has still problems with the drivers (like a never ending story --- thinking when Vista went out; Vista vs XP drivers ) but win 7 is much faster than Vista.

All i can say now is good luck (till you get your Mac) and be prepared to pay for AV programs specially designed for Win 7. (aka "Windows 7 ready" )
ubuntu seems quite limited, i have used to fix problems with XP before when i couldnt get XP to boot. I need to be able to use MS office to include ppt. i appreciate the idea though. if i was looking to just browse the net and check email, that would be fine.

it seems that vista drivers will work with 7. if it causes a problem for me, i will just reinstall vista.

Quick Reply: IT Pros