Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

LCD or PLASMA

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White/Biege 545i, CWP, Nav, Active Steering, Auto Step ordered 2/1/05

What? No one's mentioned Sharp?

I have a 42" Sony Bravia Plasma (2 yrs) and a 37" Sharp Aquos LCD (1.5 yrs). I think the Sharp flat beats out the Sony in the picture quality.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:56 AM
gpt
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='381308' date='Jan 21 2007, 02:53 PM
Hate to tell you my man, but I'm not. The A2000 was released last year here in the US. But I need to correct you, the A2000 is not the same as the XBR2 whether you live in the US or Europe. It might be that Sony has yet to release the XBR2 to Europe since you JUST got the A2000 and we've had it for a year. Sony makes 2 universal models of the SXRD television. Let's take the 60" model's, since Sony offers both models in this size.

They are as follows:

KDS-R60XBR2

KDS-60A2000

Yes, both TV's are 1080P and yes, both have 10,000:1 contrast ratio's and yes, both have 2.5ms display panel response time.

But here's the difference.

The XBR2 has the: WEGA Engine HD? with DRC-MFv2.5 digital video processing.

The A2000 has: WEGA Engine? with DRC-MFv1 digital video processing (note the difference).

This is the key difference between the 2. The A2000's engine is the SAME engine that the XBR1 had. The XBR2 has the new HD engine, which the A2000 does not, hence the reason it's a lot cheaper.

The XBR2 also runs off a 180 watt bulb, where the A2000 runs off a 120 watt bulb like in the old XBR1.

Now, I have the XBR2 and a family member has the A2000. I have to tell you that the XBR2 looks a lot better. It really does.

If you don't believe me, check out the Sony site for yourself and compare the two...

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/<wbr%20...mp;Dept=tvvideo

The model numbers are universal. It doesn't matter whether you live here in the US or in Europe. Sony makes 2 models of this TV. The KDS-A2000 is the cheaper of the 2. It's all about the HD Engine. I was on the verge of buying the XBR1 2 years ago, before the A2000 came out. I then considered the A2000 before they released the XBR2, but after hearing they were keeping the same engine in the A2000 that was in the XBR1 and were upgrading the XBR2 to a new HD engine, I decided to wait. And I am glad I did. It's so much better.

Now, they may have not released the XBR2 yet in Europe, but if they do, I would wait. It's well worth it.

Go on www.avsforums.com. You'll see what people say about the difference of the 2.

Trust me...I've done a ton of research over the years on the SXRD and have friends that have the XBR1, a family member who has the A2000 and myself who has the XBR2. Even my friends who have the XBR1 and have seen my XBR2 admit that my picture is slightly better.
Cmansbimmer, you're right on the money with your selection. My son works at Best Buy, in the Magnolia section and says this TV blows away many more expensive models. Luckily. I got a good discount, invoice +5%
Old 01-25-2007, 11:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

how about this?

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.act...gory=TVP+LCD+TV

is it true that as most programmes comes in PAL then it is pixeled as the format of our programmes are different.

thx I am liking this
Old 01-27-2007, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ats77' post='383353' date='Jan 25 2007, 03:28 PM
is it true that as most programmes comes in PAL then it is pixeled as the format of our programmes are different.

Hard to say.

Generally, Sony has some of the best in-television video processing. The input scan rate and resolution gets converted and scaled to the native panel resolution and scan rate. That's standard. Can't comment on how well or how poorly this is done from a PAL source. If you are overly concerned, the best practice is to use an external scaler/deinterlacer that will accept all the incoming resolutions and convert the output to the native panel resolution.

I personally use a video processor (deinterlacer only) for my DVD player, PS2, and Wii. The DVD player and the Wii can output 480i on component, and then the iScan deinternlaces it to 480p. I'm just using regular composite output on the PS2. Just having quality 480p output makes a huge difference since almost no current DVD players do a good job nowadays. Several years ago, manufacturers stopped using very high quality deinterlacer chips on DVD players to be able to use cheap upscaling/deinterlacing solutions (these sound much better to prospective buyers). The video has suffered as a result. With my system, standard DVD looks like HD, and non-anamorphic DVDs look perfect since the processor can format and present it properly. Much better than using the TV zoom or a DVD player's zoom - even comparing it to upscaled 720p or 1080i output from players.

These kinds of devices can be a bit of an investment, but can really make a huge difference and permit you to enjoy a nice TV to the fullest.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='384140' date='Jan 27 2007, 10:47 PM
Hard to say.
Generally, Sony has some of the best in-television video processing. The input scan rate and resolution gets converted and scaled to the native panel resolution and scan rate. That's standard. Can't comment on how well or how poorly this is done from a PAL source. If you are overly concerned, the best practice is to use an external scaler/deinterlacer that will accept all the incoming resolutions and convert the output to the native panel resolution.
I personally use a video processor (deinterlacer only) for my DVD player, PS2, and Wii. The DVD player and the Wii can output 480i on component, and then the iScan deinternlaces it to 480p. I'm just using regular composite output on the PS2. Just having quality 480p output makes a huge difference since almost no current DVD players do a good job nowadays. Several years ago, manufacturers stopped using very high quality deinterlacer chips on DVD players to be able to use cheap upscaling/deinterlacing solutions (these sound much better to prospective buyers). The video has suffered as a result. With my system, standard DVD looks like HD, and non-anamorphic DVDs look perfect since the processor can format and present it properly. Much better than using the TV zoom or a DVD player's zoom - even comparing it to upscaled 720p or 1080i output from players.
These kinds of devices can be a bit of an investment, but can really make a huge difference and permit you to enjoy a nice TV to the fullest.
You are the expert thx for all the usefull info, can you link any deinterlacer that we may even get here working in EU?
Old 01-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by ats77' post='384151' date='Jan 27 2007, 05:24 PM
You are the expert thx for all the usefull info, can you link any deinterlacer that we may even get here working in EU?

Well, I am recommending more than just a deinterlacer. You'd want a scaler/deinterlacer - sometimes called a video processor. Most of them support PAL/SECAM as 576i input, but you'd want to double check to see if that is the PAL flavor you have where you are. I think there are a couple of other possible iterations.

I think the DVDO products are pretty good, and competitive in terms of pricing. Many models exist that can scale and output to match displays.

This is a link to some very favorable reviews that their current products have received.

http://www.dvdo.com/new/new_rev_isvp30.php

There are tons of brands though, and a wide range of costs.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Ahh - I found this reference to PAL conversion in a VP-30 review.

"Another use is automatically generating different timings for NTSC/PAL (and likely HDTV) for European users. Often, native rate timings differ between 50 Hz and 60 Hz (in many cases, you can't get native rate timing in 50 Hz, so you may have to use different resolution for that type of signal).

The iScan series of scalers was always great at frame rate conversions. In fact, I find it hard to imagine better frame rate conversions, even in tough conversions like 50 Hz to 59.94 Hz (necessary in some devices to retain native rate). Even nicer, the VP30 easily retains cadence locks and provides 2x and 3x cadence (genlocked multiples) such as 48 Hz and 72 Hz for NTSC, and 75 Hz for PAL. This creates a judder-free image (assuming your display is capable of showing these without introducing judder on its own). Genlock, short for generator locking device, lets a display or video recorder accept two video signals at the same time, such as the VGA output from a computer and a video camera. It locks one set of signals while it processes the second one. So, the two signals can be overlaid, one on the other."

From the Hometheaterhifi review. That site is pretty much the authority on all things video. They pioneered the "DVD shootout" evaluations.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_1...006-part-1.html