Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

How do you park?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='619437' date='Jul 9 2008, 06:58 AM
One space for me. I don't think it's even possible to find enough parking spaces to park in the middle of two spaces here in Taipei! hehehe. I've gotten a few door dinks the past year but got those fixed really easily.

See the picture below? There's only enough space between cars that when you go to open the door, you have to squeeze your way in. I think they used a Hyundai compact car as a parking space size reference... LOL
Hi five from a fellow Taipei'er!!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

1 spot for me, but I steer clear of mini vans and SUV's (usually women and kids who don't pay attention coming out of those vehicles). No offense but it personally drives me nuts when people can't park properly into one spot (straight). where I'm from there are lots of truck and SUV drivers and most don't seem to care about straightening themselves out once they pull into a spot (pet peev)
Old 07-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='619451' date='Jul 9 2008, 09:12 AM
2 spots = getting your car keyed IMHO
I can attest to that.

Years and years ago when I drove an E39, lived in a loft in downtown Dallas, I use to take-up 2 spots. But it was in a corner, and the extra space I took wouldn't really fit anything short of a Yugo. Car was keyed, and it taught me a very memorable lesson. 2 spots = attention, just asking to get keyed.

So now, I only take up one spot and park really far away.

Now, a question for everyone -- if you were at an event, which had paid parking, would you pony up to pay for two spots?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='619456' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:17 AM
I can attest to that.

Years and years ago when I drove an E39, lived in a loft in downtown Dallas, I use to take-up 2 spots. But it was in a corner, and the extra space I took wouldn't really fit anything short of a Yugo. Car was keyed, and it taught me a very memorable lesson. 2 spots = attention, just asking to get keyed.

Now, a question for everyone -- if you were at an event, which had paid parking, would you pony up to pay for two spots?
i know taking up more than one spot is really not being thoughful, but someone keying your car for that is really retarded.
the could leave a note or something. Right?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

You should only park in one spot. If you're parking in 2, don't be surprised if you come out to find your car keyed and your tires punctured one day. Honestly, what that guy said to you isn't much of a surprise. It's a total dick move.

For me, I park in the way back, away from everyone else, even if it requires me to walk a few extra hundred yards to where I am going. For one, I know not many people will park that far away and two, I don't have to worry about the mom and her minivan/suburban parking next to me.

Just take 1 spot and park further away. Courtesy counts my man.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

1 spot - on the end, near a handicap spot, next to another nice car or anywhere that limits ding possibility to BOTH of my doors.

Edit: both sides or all 4 of my doors DOH!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

If I ever see any E60's parked in 2 spots, I'm keying, puncturing and breaking glass.

PS - And if there's a nice deck lid spoiler on the car (preferrably RDSport or Vorsteiner), I'll be ripping it off and taking it with me. I need a new spoiler.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i - Black on Black - Sport&Premium

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='619456' date='Jul 9 2008, 10:17 AM
I can attest to that.

Well I mean thanks for the advice, I did not think parking in 2 spots is such a big deal espeacilly at the far end of a non-congested parking, but I guess caring too much is just as bad as not caring enough. I mean I will learn from your lessons () and correct my newly acquired habit.

At age 23, It is my first high end car and I spent much money on it....nothing gives me the right to park in 2 spots but I think I have the right to protect in some way my investment. For some of you guys it is just a lease return that you will end up giving away after 3 years so you can care less about what happens to you vehicule (and maybe after a while I will feel the same) but for now I just treat it as some would treat a Lambo...with love .

Thanks for all you opinions.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I totally agree -- take one spot only but take the right spot. I never park between two cars, I always park on an end spot (and stay close to the end side of the space) or I choose a space very far away from other cars and I've not had a door ding at all on any of my cars for close to 30 years! (Knock on wood...)

In my opinion, taking up more than one space, I'm afraid to say, does make you look like an ass and, as a matter of fact, is only asking for someone to intentionally damage your car. BMW drivers have enough of a problem fighting the negative connotation of the stereotypical "BMW Driver" and when people see one parked across more than one space, it only fuels that negativity. Call them jealous, whatever, it's a reality...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, Platinum Gray, Sport Pkg

Originally Posted by E60freak' post='619472' date='Jul 9 2008, 07:30 AM
Well I mean thanks for the advice, I did not think parking in 2 spots is such a big deal espeacilly at the far end of a non-congested parking, but I guess caring too much is just as bad as not caring enough. I mean I will learn from your lessons () and correct my newly acquired habit.

At age 23, It is my first high end car and I spent much money on it....nothing gives me the right to park in 2 spots but I think I have the right to protect in some way my investment. For some of you guys it is just a lease return that you will end up giving away after 3 years so you can care less about what happens to you vehicule (and maybe after a while I will feel the same) but for now I just treat it as some would treat a Lambo...with love .

Thanks for all you opinions.
Lease or not bro, everyone here is passionate about their car and I doubt very much that those leasing their vehicles care any less.

Quick Reply: How do you park?