Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Hi from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we drove from amsterdam to the Nurburgring last week took us abouth 5 hours if thats any help
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 M6: Silverstone Metallic... Fully loaded2005 DINAN5 (545i): Jet Black... Fully loaded1955 Chevy: Custom

Thank you for the input guys I will definitely have Amsterdam local coffee specialties and 'space cake' again

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='434147' date='Jun 10 2007, 09:20 AM
My guesstimate is that an "ICE Train" would get you there in about 8 hours centre to centre. You may be able to do it in a similar time by road (road works permitting and not getting stuck in town centre traffic.

Heineken? I wonder if it's different to the rather unpleasant drink that bears the same name in the UK?

Of course in Amsterdam you could go to a "coffee shop"...

ABC
Old 06-10-2007, 09:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='434113' date='Jun 10 2007, 07:06 AM
Gertrude, for she is my nav lady, recently safely saw me through France, Belgium, Germany to Prague, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Venice, Florence, Pisa, the Italian Lakes and back to UK.

Over 3000 miles in 3 weeks and yes, we did stop and got to do things.

Long European road trips are what the e60 is built for.

Didn't skip a beat.

ABC
Interesting. Our rent-a-nav lady doesn't have a name yet. She definitely has made things much, much easier, but she also has made several mistakes over a relatively short distance. Fortunately, they were minor enough that we could figure out that she was wrong. But, of course, this technique only works if you don't trust her pretty much completely naively. On the other hand, there was the time she was gong to have us turn into someone's driveway--which was pretty obviously wrong since she told us to go left, and the driveway was the only left possible. Also, she confirms turns a bit late. In other words, the meters-to-go-before-a-turn calculator is not overly accurate so we end up straddling two lanes until she finally confirms, or not, that it is time to turn. Still, we love her and dare not say a harsh word for fear that she might do a Hal thing.

Here is the best vehicle video I have made since arriving in Germany--made with my point and shoot.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
PICT0253.MOV (3.99 MB, 44 views)
Old 06-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by freed0m' post='434110
thinking of doing a road trip from Norway ( Kriastiansand ) down to the euro tunnel and back home in the uk, ferry goes from newcastle in the uk, any one done this> This will be next year , driving across the usa this summer

I have done Amsterdam-Bergen-Amsterdam 3 years ago and also Amsterdam-London-Amsterdam via the tunnel about 6 months ago. Both were thoroughly enjoyabnle and pretty simple to do. Looooong, though. Shout if you want more details from me.

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='434113' date='Jun 10 2007, 04:06 PM
Gertrude, for she is my nav lady, recently safely saw me through France, Belgium, Germany to Prague, Vienna, Klagenfurt, Venice, Florence, Pisa, the Italian Lakes and back to UK.

Over 3000 miles in 3 weeks and yes, we did stop and got to do things.

Long European road trips are what the e60 is built for.

Didn't skip a beat.

ABC
+1. My wife and I are just back from an Amsterdam-Strasbourg-Basel-Lucerne-Milan roundtrip that confirms that the e60 is THE way to do long European road trips. Holly saw us through it well, although the did get very Holly/Hal-ish on the way home. She throws me quite a few funnies in and around Amsterdam too, hence her being called Holly (those of you familiar with Red Dwarf will know exactly what I mean).
Old 06-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Arrgh, about the picture swap; the Opel is the Ford and the Ford is the Opel. If you get it...

Tigra is furthermore called "Twin Top", which I should have known...

Aaaannnnd, Fucking is in Ober?sterreich, you're quite right.

I seem to have my head switched off during Sundays.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2003 530d

I completely overlooked this thread but hey Znod if you are in Switzerland, near Zurich let me know I'll buy you a beer!
Greg
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by narvselius' post='434443' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:15 AM
Arrgh, about the picture swap; the Opel is the Ford and the Ford is the Opel. If you get it...

Tigra is furthermore called "Twin Top", which I should have known...

Aaaannnnd, Fucking is in Ober?sterreich, you're quite right.
I seem to have me head switch off during Sundays.
LOL. No matter; you still had A+ answers. And,

TO ALL:

Hi:

I?ve been without great internet the last few days?very slow--haven't been online much. For, now I'll just post 2 photos and a few words about Nav lady.

Don?t ever let Nav Lady take you to Wank on the way to the Fussen area. She made Wank a bit like (a) hotel California (you can check in, but never leave) or (b) Rome (all roads lead there). Maybe she was wanking my chain ( ). Anyway, she absolutely could not get us out of Wank to proceed to the Fussen area. We finally gave up on her and took the easy way?looked at a map. Prior to our current stop, we have stayed in/explored: Wurzburg, Rothenburg, Dinklebuel, and the Fussen area. All beautiful and great fun and great hotels. Please pardon me in this thread for not using the proper accents. I am too lazy to figure out how to do so.

We now are in Hall in Triol?contiguous to Inzbruck. Gorgeous hotel, trip here, and setting. Nav lady has been pretty much useless in finding her way around the small towns and even some of the highways. She makes many, many truly obvious mistakes (e.g., the ?next right? in not necessarily the right right, etc., etc. So, it pays to watch signs, have MapQuest directions, and use nav. MapQuest, of course, is not much more accurate than nav, in general.

Below are the new pics. They speak for themselves. More later.
We are just now settling in for two days in the area. Everything has been terrific so far. More later.
Attached Thumbnails Hi from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland-yank.jpg   Hi from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland-fuk.jpg  
Old 06-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Greg530' post='434445' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:24 AM
I completely overlooked this thread but hey Znod if you are in Switzerland, near Zurich let me know I'll buy you a beer!
Greg
Thanks Greg. We will in in Lucerne for a few days.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Znod' post='435265' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:39 AM
Thanks Greg. We will in in Lucerne for a few days.
If you're in Lucerne then you're near pretty anywhere in Switzerland!

Just "passing through" for a couple of hours (travelling between Italy and France, I found having to pay 30Euro (oh, plus 5 Swiss Francs change - huh?) for a Motorway Vignette a bit steep.

At least in the Czech Republic you could get different "tariffs" depending on the duration of your "use".

ABC
Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='435269' date='Jun 13 2007, 01:10 PM
If you're in Lucerne then you're near pretty anywhere in Switzerland!

Just "passing through" for a couple of hours (travelling between Italy and France, I found having to pay 30Euro (oh, plus 5 Swiss Francs change - huh?) for a Motorway Vignette a bit steep.

At least in the Czech Republic you could get different "tariffs" depending on the duration of your "use".

ABC
Agreed. I had to do the same, but at least the thing's valid now until January 2008.

Also, from Jan 08, you'll have to buy a vignette for Belgium too. Not sure yet whether it will be an as-used or annual/other fixed charge though.

MacSid

Quick Reply: Hi from Germany, Austria, and Switzerland