Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

"The Great Global Warming Swindle"

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was an interesting global warming debate hosted by Brian Lehrer last week (March 14) in New York. Michael Crichton was on the panel as a GW skeptic. You can download the debate transcript here.

The audience was polled before the debate and 30% agreed that global warming was not a crisis. After the debate, 46% agreed that GW is not a crisis.

Mr. Crichton and friends obviously presented some compelling arguments against GW, or, umm, the GW supporters must not have been very convincing.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by pharding' post='404191' date='Mar 18 2007, 07:30 AM
I associate people who do not believe in global warming with the intelligence level of President Bush, undoubtedly the worst and dumbest president in US history.
While I think its naive to doubt our own contributions to the global warming crisis, or whether such a crisis even exists, I dont think its fair to slander those who feel differently about something with such a vile insult as being compared to President Bush. That's almost below the belt. I'll concur that I think he's a fool, being led by a corrupt collection of villans and he will undoubtedly be remembered by historians as one of the worst, if not the worst, president our marvelous nation has seen. The level of disregard for our own laws shown by this man and his administration is an embarassment to anyone who believes in a system of law and justice.

Say what you will, but at least Bill Clinton's shortcomings were of a personal nature. Say what you will, nobody ever died for the kind of continued lies put forth by this administration. And until you actually know a family touched by this ridiculous war about which we were all decieved, you dont really understand what it means to sacrifice the most precious gift. I would be among the first to make the ultimate sacrifice for my country, assuming the reasons were at least remotely justifiable. We can all go round and round about the war, but I dont want to hijack this thread any further than I have. This isnt about the troops - I hope every day that each and every one of them come home unscathed.

While I do hope certain candidates might win next time around - either way, I'm just counting the days until we're free of the total disaster of an adminsitration we've seen for the past 6 years.

Just my opinion, which as a citizen, I'm entitled to. For those who feel differently, I respect your opinions too, but just feel very strongly to the contrary.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by pharding' post='404191' date='Mar 18 2007, 03:30 AM
I believe global warming to be an extremely serious, human existence threatening challenge. For me this trumps getting my favorite BMW automobile. Going green will influence my next car purchase.

I associate people who do not believe in global warming with the intelligence level of President Bush, undoubtedly the worst and dumbest president in US history.

I would have to agree with you 100 percent on this. Those who dismiss global warming as just some theory should do their homework and think outside the box before rushing to judgment. The president and his party, backed by the religious right, have made it their primary goal to denounce global warming and persuade their followers it some crazy liberal scheme to cause dissension.

These people are the biggest hypocrites and our children?s children will undoubtedly ask "what were they thinking". (Unless of course they rewrite history)

On a similar note: It's a scary world we live in when an individual with an IQ of 25 is head of the free world.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='404343' date='Mar 18 2007, 01:41 PM
There was an interesting global warming debate hosted by Brian Lehrer last week (March 14) in New York. Michael Crichton was on the panel as a GW skeptic. You can download the debate transcript here.

The audience was polled before the debate and 30% agreed that global warming was not a crisis. After the debate, 46% agreed that GW is not a crisis.

Mr. Crichton and friends obviously presented some compelling arguments against GW, or, umm, the GW supporters must not have been very convincing.

Unfortunately, that 16 percent change you mentioned above reiterates a large problem in the states: people are easily persuadable and believe anything they are told. If global warming isn't a threat to man kind, according to Michael Crichton and opponents, why do an overwhelming number of scientists disagree with Crichton? Furthermore, why do an overwhelming number of Europeans, according to a recent poll, believe humans are contributing to global warming?
See this article:

Europeans overwhelmingly support restrictions to halt global warming

Why is it so hard for many Americans, especially in the middle of the country, to put politics aside and at least research the topic before disregarding and denouncing it?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Mercedes Benz e63 AMG

Originally Posted by vern' post='404238' date='Mar 18 2007, 12:06 PM
Go to FOX and Friends and listen to the people of importance that speak about GW.
Yeah, those FOX News guys are really an impartial group of important guys, arent they?

The same guys who referred to Barack Obama as Bin Laden. That's real credibility. :thumbsdown:

If I want a humorous take on news, I'll watch John Stewart. At least he admits his news is fake, unlike the Fox guys still pretending to present an unbiased look.

Next thing, someone here will be suggesting that Tucker Carlson is a brilliant & important guy too...
Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='404430' date='Mar 18 2007, 09:06 PM
Why is it so hard for many Americans, especially in the middle of the country, to put politics aside and at least research the topic before disregarding and denouncing it?
Because it is coming from elsewhere in the world. And the more you say 'but Europeans support it' the less sympathy you'll get. Sad, but true.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:34 AM
Members

My Ride: '12 BMW 520d Touring

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='404430' date='Mar 19 2007, 05:06 AM
Unfortunately, that 16 percent change you mentioned above reiterates a large problem in the states: people are easily persuadable and believe anything they are told. If global warming isn't a threat to man kind, according to Michael Crichton and opponents, why do an overwhelming number of scientists disagree with Crichton? Furthermore, why do an overwhelming number of Europeans, according to a recent poll, believe humans are contributing to global warming?
You are answering your own question my friend (I quote you here):

"people are easily persuadable and believe anything they are told"

This is exactly the reason why so many people believe this global warming crap. And regarding the scientist, what do you think is overwhelming? The media ignores the people who disagree with the current view that we are the root of all evil. So if they are ignored, it indeed looks like most scientists agree on the climate issue.

Please open your eyes, and see that the whole global warming movement is nothing more then a lobbying industry. In the US you have the oil industry that likes us to believe that we can ride in big SUV's and that oil is no problem (so they keep doing business). The oil industry has a a certain degree of influence on American politics.
This is exactly the same situation as here in Europe. But then it is the climate lobby that has a huge impact on peoples opinions. Not only is their view presented as the only view of thinking, everybody who is critical of the climate lobby is silenced. And because most people believe this crap, politicians pretend to do everything about it. Which is basicly only to make electoral gains.

But what profit makes the climate lobby by doing all this? Well, overhere it is just one big research industry. If they would argue nothing is wrong, they would lose billions of euro's goverments invest in research. And by scaring the people they ensure that there is enough pressure to keep this constant stream of money flowing.

Dude, you posted that people should think outside the box before rushing to judgment. I guess that you are the one who needs to think outside the box, and not just plainly believe the "common view".

To your information, I am a European Liberal (btw, Liberal here is something totally different then in the US).
Old 03-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

So I'm not the only one .... 545 -> Civic Hybrid.

When I bought my 545 - I justified it by trying to limit my miles and the fact that it was better than most SUVs. Now that isn't good enough and I have a hard time limiting my miles b/c of work.

Nuclear powered cargo ships - nice. That isn't too expensive. Over 20 years or so we can reduce emissions for households through nuclear and alternative generating avenues - it is harder to get people from spread out suburbs to work and reduce emissions - hence the focus on cars.

Double the GGT and raise CAFE 5% per year (and make the germans comply by raising the fines 30% per year). Add that to a 10% increase per year in the federal gas tax. Now that would (over time) be some serious incentives. We might catch up to Europe in 15 years. Anyone who doesn't see something like this coming ....

The 550 will represent the low point in MPGs for BMW (in a non-M car) or they will be in trouble.
Old 03-19-2007, 03:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='404343' date='Mar 18 2007, 09:41 PM

...or perhaps anything that gives people an "excuse" for continuing to live their life without disruption/change is easy to believe? I am far from convinced that the GW brigade has it right, but natural resources (e.g. fossil fuels) are finite regardless of the impact on climate.
Old 03-19-2007, 05:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Originally Posted by lawguy' post='404436' date='Mar 19 2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah, those FOX News guys are really an impartial group of important guys, arent they?

The same guys who referred to Barack Obama as Bin Laden. That's real credibility. :thumbsdown:

If I want a humorous take on news, I'll watch John Stewart. At least he admits his news is fake, unlike the Fox guys still pretending to present an unbiased look.

Next thing, someone here will be suggesting that Tucker Carlson is a brilliant & important guy too...
I know we are all entitle to are own opinion, but lets not go tit for tat on this one. We had enough of a problem getting the other one solved.
Have a nice day Pete
cheers
vern

Quick Reply: "The Great Global Warming Swindle"