Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Apple iPad

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by swajames
There are already torrent apps for the iPhone. These apps should in principle work on the iPad. They require a jailbroken iPhone, but if you're into torrents you're probably running a jailbroken iPhone already...
The release of Blackra1n has really made JB ridiculously easy...
Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
The release of Blackra1n has really made JB ridiculously easy...
Yes but jail braking comes at a cost....
Old 02-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol
I will agree that the iPad is a slicker design but the funtionality of the device is little different, in terms of being an electronic book. I own a kindle and the buttons are anything but clunky, try one some time rather than passing judgement based on a photo. My point was that the only thing the iPad brings to the table is cosmetic and for that I am not willing to pay up. Maybe the 2nd gen will be a better offering and have some true computer/laptop abilities but until then my iPhone, on which I have the Kindle app, fills all the same needs and more: video, music, apps and of course the phone.
Hey as you can see i'm not from US. I cannot find a Kindle so easily on any street corner in Bucharest. Till i find one to try it myself i can only judge it from some pics. The same can be said about the iPad. Till the iPad arrives here i can only judge based on photos, specs and reviews.

Your argument, however, that it's Apple brings only cosmetic to the table, doesn't stand as the tablet brings a big screen, a better resolution, COLOR, multiuse (photos, videos, editing documents, games etc) compared to the Kindle that can do only what? read books from Amazon?

Also your argument to pay up is not necessary true, since the lowest model of the iPad that already does the above mentioned extras, costs only a few bucks more than the limited Kindle. You pay up what $ 20? A fortune....

Your last argument however stands since you say you already have the iPhone. I myself will probably wait for a second generation iPad to justify the need to add an complementary device from my 3G iPhone.

PS: As i said, let's all remember that this device for this niche, is still in infant stages. Let's talk over 2-3 years and see what's what. Anyway kudos to those to buy it. I personally think it's a great device for it's money. For $ 500 you can buy a netbook with crappy performance and no touch input.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
Hey as you can see i'm not from US. I cannot find a Kindle so easily on any street corner in Bucharest. Till i find one to try it myself i can only judge it from some pics. The same can be said about the iPad. Till the iPad arrives here i can only judge based on photos, specs and reviews.

Your argument, however, that it's Apple brings only cosmetic to the table, doesn't stand as the tablet brings a big screen, a better resolution, COLOR, multiuse (photos, videos, editing documents, games etc) compared to the Kindle that can do only what? read books from Amazon?

Also your argument to pay up is not necessary true, since the lowest model of the iPad that already does the above mentioned extras, costs only a few bucks more than the limited Kindle. You pay up what $ 20? A fortune....

Your last argument however stands since you say you already have the iPhone. I myself will probably wait for a second generation iPad to justify the need to add an complementary device from my 3G iPhone.

PS: As i said, let's all remember that this device for this niche, is still in infant stages. Let's talk over 2-3 years and see what's what. Anyway kudos to those to buy it. I personally think it's a great device for it's money. For $ 500 you can buy a netbook with crappy performance and no touch input.
I should have taken your location into account but the fact that you pass judgement without having used one stands.

And I never compared the Kindle to the iPad. I commented on the eBooks aspect only. I fully appreciate everything that the iPad will do but I stand by my comments that while it's an intersting gadget, there is no reason for me to rush and buy one. As i said, future versions will likely improve on this first version and maybe then I will buy it...
Old 02-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

I should have taken your location into account but the fact that you pass judgement without having used one stands.

And I never compared the Kindle to the iPad. I commented on the eBooks aspect only. I fully appreciate everything that the iPad will do but I stand by my comments that while it's an intersting gadget, there is no reason for me to rush and buy one. As i said, future versions will likely improve on this first version and maybe then I will buy it...
...just a question though: Have you used the iPad yet?
Old 02-01-2010, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay
...just a question though: Have you used the iPad yet?
I have not but I made no critical remark about features as you did with the Kindle. I simply said it was a cross between an iTouch and a Kindle and being that I already own an iPhone and a Kindle, I have no need to buy the iPad until there are some enhancements, which I fully expect Apple to make in future versions...

Edit: here is my quote on the iPad... "I will agree that the iPad is a slicker design but the funtionality of the device is little different, in terms of being an electronic book."
Old 02-01-2010, 11:29 AM
Contributors

Hitler responds to the iPad:
Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Hitler responds to the iPad: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQnT0zp8Ya4
Oh gosh, not this video again....
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

I have not but I made no critical remark about features as you did with the Kindle. I simply said it was a cross between an iTouch and a Kindle and being that I already own an iPhone and a Kindle, I have no need to buy the iPad until there are some enhancements, which I fully expect Apple to make in future versions...

Edit: here is my quote on the iPad... "I will agree that the iPad is a slicker design but the funtionality of the device is little different, in terms of being an electronic book."
I understand...anyway let's put aside those semantic discussions and have a look people at this article:

If nothing else, the current uproar shows that the neither the IT or business ?expert? community has learned anything from the launch of the iPhone?and that there are still a large number of people who do not (or perhaps cannot) understand how Apple operates.

Just as when the iPhone was first announced, everyone is both extremely excited by the iPad's possibilities and disappointed by the lack of at least one feature that they were expecting it to have. In the case of at least two?handwriting recognition and a full-fledged version of OS X?I contend that Apple's move is a deliberate choice for the iPad's future.
Also this piece of article resonates entirely with my own thought regarding why no full blown OS on the iPad

Right tool and right job
The same concept applies to the choice of an iPhone OS-based system over a Mac OS-based system. Setting aside, for the moment, the fact that the iPad uses a processor that is very different from the Intel chips that power today's Mac line, the version of OS X that is bundled with Macs is simply not designed to work with a device like the iPad. Mac applications are built on a completely different set of assumptions from iPhone applications.

For example, the accuracy and pointer size of a mouse makes it possible to easy distinguish targets (such as buttons) that might be both small and very close to each other; if you are ham-fingered like me, doing the same using a multitouch interface is unlikely to end well for either your fingers or your devices.

iPhone OS, on the other hand, is built with exactly the right type of physical user interface in mind. In fact, as the iPhone itself shows, something as seemingly far-fetched as an on-screen virtual keyboard can work really well when it's implemented properly. When it isn't?either because of mislaid priorities or technological limitations?it can be an excruciating exercise in frustration.

Source: Be grateful for what's not on the iPad