Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Apple iPad

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gizmodo.com/8-things-that-suck-about-the-ipad
Old 01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by DD_545i
Gizmodo's contrary opinion: they rather like it...

contrary opinion
Old 01-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by Rudy
Only time will tell if the product is a hit or not...

Apple iPad Backlash Begins
Indeed. There were plenty of naysayers when the iPod was launched and when the iPhone was launched. Apple is 2 for 2 on those two products, and this one will probably be the third home-run. Apple recently sold their 250 millionth iPod, and the iPhone continues to dominate in its space. Here's the thing the naysayers ALWAYS miss: It's not just about the product, it's not about what THEY might want and it is not just about specs. Apple sells premium products that integrate into a premium ecosystem. The Zune HD is a great music player - but there's no substance in the underlying infrastructure. The Droid is a capable phone - but it just another failed attempt at being the iPhone killer crippled by a lack of apps and by a lack of content.

So... The naysayers can continue to criticize Apple, but the marketplace (i.e. those who actually PAY for what they want to buy) does seem to love Apple's products, and Apple continues to speak loudest to the kind of consumers who are able to and prepared to pony up the price of entry for a premium product.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Gizmodo's contrary opinion: they rather like it...
Indeed. There were plenty of naysayers when the iPod was launched and when the iPhone was launched. Apple is 2 for 2 on those two products and this one will probably be the third home run. People do seem to love their products, and Apple appeals to the kind of consumer who are prepared to pony up the price of entry for a premium product.
But the iPods, iPhones and now the iPad are all terrible terrible things. They're really rubbish. If they weren't shiny and emperors-new-clothesy people wouldn't want them. They want to show others that they have the shiny thing. Somehow (and I'll never understand this as long as I live) people seem to put up with the most basic design flaws (no user-replacable battery) and restrictive practices (software, DRM, formats, contracts) that Apple force upon them.

I'm sure Apple will sell millions of these things, that doesn't make them good. Miley Cyrus sells millions of records, it doesn't make her rock and roll hall of fame material. The mesmerized teens buy the songs from her in the way the brainwashed masses buy Apple products.

I prefer to use DRM-free MP3s I get from Amazon on my Samsung MP3 player. I had another Samsung MP3 player 2 years before the iPod was even first introduced. For my phone, I want high quality camera and video, no restriction on contract, long (and replaceable) battery life, Flash player (etc, etc, etc) so I use a Nokia N95. If I wanted an eBook reader it would be a Kindle. For my computer tablet and video player needs, I use my Archos 7 which can also be a DVR with an attachment.

There's nothing that would make me want to give money to Steve Jobs. He's far worse in his business practices than Bill Gates ever was. He just hasn't been called out on it.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

People do seem to love their products, and Apple appeals to the kind of consumer who are prepared to pony up the price of entry for a premium product.
I suppose it's all about perception and it's all relative...

I, for one, am a "consumer who is prepared to pony up the price of entry for a premium product" yet I don't own an iPhone nor do I own a Macintosh. (I do have an iPod Touch but it was something I received for free from a rebate offer on another product I needed. No way would I have one -- or even need one -- if I had to pay for it.)

Clearly, it's my opinion but to me, the iPhone is not a "premium product" so therefore, I spend my money on other things that I consider premium. I respect the fact that the iPhone and the iPod are groundbreaking devices and are cool from a technological standpoint but once I start looking past the sizzle and consider the "meat" of the product, I realize that there are better choices that meet my needs more elegantly.

Apple is one of those companies that you either love or you hate. You are obviously in the "love" category and I guess I'm more in the hate camp. I appreciate that Apple has been successful from a consumer loyalty and from a marketing standpoint but I don't go nuts each and every time Steve Jobs takes the stage with some new gadget. Regardless, neither of us are right, and neither of us are wrong...

I hope the iPad turns out to be everything you expect it to be and I'm not going to bash it nor am I going to tell you you're crazy for buying one.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

The Archos 9 tablet (9 being the size in inches of the screen).
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

...restrictive practices (... DRM ...) that Apple force upon them.
There's no DRM on any iTunes music, it is all DRM-free. The only DRM on iTunes content is with movies and video, just as it is with every other content provider, including Amazon...
Old 01-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Contributors

There's no DRM on any iTunes music, it is all DRM-free.
That must be a recent development, it used to be DRM'ed. Plus they serve you up iPod-only file formats. Or they did.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:19 AM
Contributors

That must be a recent development, it used to be DRM'ed. Plus they serve you up iPod-only file formats. Or they did.
Been that way for a while, DD, DRM went away some time ago (Apple was actually one the main forces pushing the labels pretty hard to trust the market and to drop DRM). Also, the AAC format served up by the iTunes store is hardly iPod only. It's an industry standard, most music players can play AAC, just as the iPod can play most other industry standard formats.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I'm getting one.
And plus it will be jailbroken the first week.

Quick Reply: Apple iPad