Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Apple iPad

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Package, Jet Black M166 OEM Wheels M5 Style Body kit RPI Scoop BMC Air Filter Valentine One Radar Detector 35% tint all around

on a serious note - it's a cool product. it's cool that it can be fixed with keybord, like a desktop, as well (on work trip in the hotel for example). Price is nice

it will need time to get used too

+1 i was skeptical about iphone until i tried it. so this may be a new generation mobile device
Old 01-27-2010, 08:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Unlimited 3G data for $30 per month with no contract and no commitment combined with massive enhancements to what was already the best current mobile internet and mobile computing experience (iPhone OS and mobile Safari)...

My credit card is out and ready to drop $829 as soon as Apple sees fit to add these bad boys to the online store.

Awesome product.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Awesome product but lacks a camera and multi-tasking. Kind of a deal breaker for me so i'll have to pass til they sort it out.

PS: No flash too!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jcool10181
Awesome product but lacks a camera and multi-tasking. Kind of a deal breaker for me so i'll have to pass til they sort it out.

PS: No flash too!
I definately think there should be a camera on the front for video calling, but the US is still behind the power curve with that, and AT&Ts 3G network would barely support that if at all. I would have also liked to see a projector built in, but after all, they managed to get the price of this baby to an incredibly more then reasonable amount and it has an INCREDIBLE battery life. Multi Tasking and Flash are a must. i dont know what the hell they were thinking with that.

I would imagine a future 4G version would include a camera and video calling capability, as will most cell phones.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

Originally Posted by craigm1841
Multi Tasking and Flash are a must. i dont know what the hell they were thinking with that.
It's sad for apple to overlook these very important feat especially for a tablet. Featurewise, this ipad can't be compared to what is currently offered on the market like the HP tablets. They still haven't learned from the DROID DOES commercials. Sigh
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package

Originally Posted by craigm1841
Multi Tasking and Flash are a must. i dont know what the hell they were thinking with that.

yeah, although multi tasking should be a feature requiring little more than a software-enable. The iPad is running OS 3.2 but OS4 is already being spotted in the wild and may well be released before these devices hit the shelves - who knows if extra features may be added before we even get our hands on one. As for Flash, the world is moving away from it and migrating to HTML5 but right now I do agree it would be nice. There is a Java-based Flash emulator that runs on the iPhone OS already, with the extra horsepower in the iPad that may also be a viable option. Adobe has always done a piss-poor job with Flash on the Mac and to some extent I suspect that's driving Apple to dig in their heels.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Just like the F10 and the PM function on the new forum version ( ), I'll reserve my final judgment until I see and use it IRL. But I'm 99% sure I'm getting one
Old 01-27-2010, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
yeah, multi tasking should be a software enable only, the iPad is running OS 3.2 but OS4 is already being spotted in the wild and may well be released before these devices hit the shelves. Who knows if features may be added before we even get our hands on one. As for Flash, the world is moving away from it and migrating to HTML5 but right now I do agree it would be nice. There is a Java-based Flash emulator that runs on the iPhone OS already, with the extra horsepower in the iPad that may also be a viable option. Adobe has always done a piss-poor job with Flash on the Mac and to some extent I suspect that's driving Apple to dig in their heels.
Might not be as easy as a sw issue - it seems to me that the issue is lack of proper hardware for things like flash and multi-tasking... also feels kinda like a marketing scheme - release a version of a product that is lacking some major functions, but sell the crap out of it and then release a second version of the product with the functions available - sell twice as much.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Might not be as easy as a sw issue - it seems to me that the issue is lack of proper hardware for things like flash and multi-tasking... also feels kinda like a marketing scheme - release a version of a product that is lacking some major functions, but sell the crap out of it and then release a second version of the product with the functions available - sell twice as much.

Don't forget this is a proprietary system-on-a-chip design (actually Apple's own, they bought PA Semiconductor and this seems to be one of the first fruits from that acquisition) and we've yet to see the full specs of the A4 processor. That said, based on the demos shown today the hardware has plenty of horsepower, easily enough to handle multi-tasking. Apple suggests battery life as the primary reason for no background tasks other than system applications and I think that's a legitimate position to take. Then again, users probably ought to decide for themselves whether or not to trade one for the other. Either way, this device seems to have plenty of headroom built in to the hardware.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames
Don't forget this is a proprietary system-on-a-chip design (actually Apple's own, they bought PA Semiconductor and this seems to be one of the first fruits from that acquisition) and we've yet to see the full specs of the A4 processor. That said, based on the demos shown today the hardware has plenty of horsepower, easily enough to handle multi-tasking. Apple suggests battery life as the primary reason for no background tasks other than system applications and I think that's a legitimate position to take. Then again, users probably ought to decide for themselves whether or not to trade one for the other. Either way, this device seems to have plenty of headroom built in to the hardware.
I bet you that they'll be coming out with a "new generation" iPad that does multi-tasking in the foreseeable future. Which is probably not going to deter me from buying gen 1 one anyway, but I'll definitely try to hold out till the "right one comes along", so to speak

Quick Reply: Apple iPad