Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Any Australians Here ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey MatyB,

I am an Aussie living here in So Cal and I know exactly what you mean. Last year one of my mates and I both bought a 330ci at about the same time. They were both 2005 models mine is a 330ci ZHP 6sp coupe and his is a 330ci convertible with the Msports package. This is the point that makes me sick to think of what we have to pay in OZ, I payed USD 35k for mine which included the factory wheels and a set of 19" I Forged wheels with Mich PS2 tires, he payed AUS 110k. I feel sorry for all my mates back home as I think the tax we pay on the cars in OZ is a bloody rip off. I have learnt not to tell my friends back home about the prices of cars here in the US anymore because they get so angry.I hope you enjoy your 530, I have a 535i on order which will be arriving in about a month.
Cheers mate, Adelaide is a nice city but it doesn't come close to my home town of Melbourne.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530i M Sport Sedan / Silver Grey

Originally Posted by Aussie7' post='455675' date='Aug 6 2007, 01:30 PM
Hey MatyB,

I am an Aussie living here in So Cal and I know exactly what you mean. Last year one of my mates and I both bought a 330ci at about the same time. They were both 2005 models mine is a 330ci ZHP 6sp coupe and his is a 330ci convertible with the Msports package. This is the point that makes me sick to think of what we have to pay in OZ, I payed USD 35k for mine which included the factory wheels and a set of 19" I Forged wheels with Mich PS2 tires, he payed AUS 110k. I feel sorry for all my mates back home as I think the tax we pay on the cars in OZ is a bloody rip off. I have learnt not to tell my friends back home about the prices of cars here in the US anymore because they get so angry.I hope you enjoy your 530, I have a 535i on order which will be arriving in about a month.
Cheers mate, Adelaide is a nice city but it doesn't come close to my home town of Melbourne.
Hey Aussie7, nice to hear from you, i love the US but it would take more than cheap cars for me to leave beautiful Adelaide. Speaking of Melbourne i am actually flying over their this weekend with my wife, my parents inlaw are looking after our little one so will be hitting the town big time, Melbourne is definaltey a great city with so much to see and do.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:30 PM
Members

Hong Kong Aussie here!

Been living in Melbourne for 23 years until I came back to Hong Kong to start work.
How I wish I was back in Melb.

Prices for cars in HK is similar to Australia.
Current ride is an Alpine White E60 M5. If i had this car in Melbourne I'd be labeled as a hoon.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:33 PM
Members

MatyB,
I can assure you that it took more than cheap cars to leave Melbourne, it took a wife who is from the US and was going to have to sit the Australian medical boards exams even though she was already qualified in the US. So much red tape bulls...!!! I can't complain though the US has been good to us over the past 6 years but my heart is always in Melbourne.
I hope you have a great time in Melbourne and please visit Brunetti's for me in Faraday st in Carlton just off Lygon st and have a REAL espresso and gelato as the ones they have here are crap. Hopefully it isn't too cold for you guys, have a great time in a great city.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eR6c' post='455682' date='Aug 6 2007, 02:00 PM
Hong Kong Aussie here!

Been living in Melbourne for 23 years until I came back to Hong Kong to start work.
How I wish I was back in Melb.

Prices for cars in HK is similar to Australia.
Current ride is an Alpine White E60 M5. If i had this car in Melbourne I'd be labeled as a hoon.
an extremely wealthy hoon.....
Old 08-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Aussie7' post='455683' date='Aug 6 2007, 12:33 PM
MatyB,

I hope you have a great time in Melbourne and please visit Brunetti's for me in Faraday st in Carlton just off Lygon st and have a REAL espresso and gelato as the ones they have here are crap. Hopefully it isn't too cold for you guys, have a great time in a great city.
that's near Melb uni right?
Damn i miss the coffee from melb. The only ones here are starbucks and pacific coffee.
Open space and coffee doesn't go hand in hand here in HK.
Also they only have kebabs not souvlaki in HK.
And the meat pies sucks here.

damn I need to find time to go back to Melb.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MatyB' post='455685' date='Aug 6 2007, 12:35 PM
an extremely wealthy hoon.....
haha I'd be doing laps in Melbourne chapel street!
Old 08-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Members

That's right it is near Melb Uni. I also miss the souvlaki, i have been hanging for one from Lambs on Commercial rd just off Chapel or Zorba'son Punt rd. What I would give to sit at he MCG and watch by beloved Carlton play footy on a cold melbourne day and eat a nice hot meat pie. Can you tell I really miss home.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Aussie7' post='455683' date='Aug 6 2007, 02:03 PM
MatyB,
I can assure you that it took more than cheap cars to leave Melbourne, it took a wife who is from the US and was going to have to sit the Australian medical boards exams even though she was already qualified in the US. So much red tape bulls...!!! I can't complain though the US has been good to us over the past 6 years but my heart is always in Melbourne.

That is a shame.....red tape bits again! Will definately be going to Lygon street for a meal so will look the cafe up...thanks for the recommendation.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Members

My Ride: Current - MY2008 530i comfort access,active steering, HUD, prof nav/TV, bluetootth etc ..... Old - 2006 530i comfort access, active steering, HUD, NAV/TV, Bluetooth

Originally Posted by redrobin' post='451044' date='Jul 23 2007, 02:09 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been a member for a little while but haven't posted before.

There doesn't seem to be many Australians (if any) on this site. Just wondering if there are any out there lurking around.

I have a 2006 (2007 model year in US) BMW 540i M Sport (Which is a model you guys don't get, I think) which I love. Planned upgrade in a few years is an M5, but at AUD $246,000 it will be a few years before I can rake up the necessary. Australian BMW prices are about double what you pay in the US (Mine was AUD 154,700 approx) but hey, it only money ...........................

I have been interested in your discussions about the on board computer versions, my dealer in Sydney uploads the latest and greatest as part of their service function when your car is in for service, all you have to do is ask (although you do pay for it). Do your dealers do the same things in the US as the Australian dealers do (possibly on direction from BMW Aus) like having the fee coffee shop in the dealership with free newspapers and stuff with an open invitation to drop in any time for coffee if your driving past ??

BMW Australia says we are the number three export market for BMWs after the US and South Africa, so we tend to get looked after pretty well down here by BMW. having said that, my bluetooth module has died and I have to wait four weeks before the new one arrives from Germany. Apparently they don't fail all that often ..
Yes I am here! Newbie. You think waiting 4 weeks is long, I have been waiting 9 weeks for an external mirror assembly replacement for my 2006 530i, under warranty.

Quick Reply: Any Australians Here ?