Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anti-Virus Program

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009 | 12:08 PM
Senior Members

A portion of those "idiots" are migrating to OSX just because of that mentality
Old 06-01-2009 | 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='896981' date='Jun 1 2009, 01:08 PM
A portion of those "idiots" are migrating to OSX just because of that mentality
I'd suspect the majority are migrating because the supplied software, both the OS and the bundled applications such the iLife suite, are perhaps better suited to what they want to get out of a computer than those on offer from Microsoft with a basic Windows installation . For many users it's perfectly possible to buy a Mac and not need to get any other third party software to handle their needs. iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand and iTunes cover virtually all of the bases for home user, and all are free on a new Mac. That the hardware is (generally speaking) more elegant than most Wintel boxes is a bonus to many, and there is also a massively increased awareness that a Mac makes a phenomenal home computer. The iLife apps are a key contributor to that. Two things Apple has always done incredibly well are marketing and differentiation and I think both of these are the driver behind the increased adoption and increased migration.
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='897006' date='Jun 1 2009, 04:29 PM
I'd suspect the majority are migrating because the supplied software, both the OS and the bundled applications such the iLife suite, are perhaps better suited to what they want to get out of a computer than those on offer from Microsoft with a basic Windows installation . For many users it's perfectly possible to buy a Mac and not need to get any other third party software to handle their needs. iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb, GarageBand and iTunes cover virtually all of the bases for home user, and all are free on a new Mac. That the hardware is (generally speaking) more elegant than most Wintel boxes is a bonus to many, and there is also a massively increased awareness that a Mac makes a phenomenal home computer. The iLife apps are a key contributor to that. Two things Apple has always done incredibly well are marketing and differentiation and I think both of these are the driver behind the increased adoption and increased migration.

Isn't iLife $89

Apples use the same Dual/Quad core offerings from intel PC's use.
At this point it's only the OS that's different between them

At-least OSX is 64bit standard.
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='897037' date='Jun 1 2009, 02:03 PM
Isn't iLife $89

Apples use the same Dual/Quad core offerings from intel PC's use.
At this point it's only the OS that's different between them

At-least OSX is 64bit standard.
Not with a new Mac ;-) iLife is free with a Mac.

And yes, it's ALL about the software!
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Old 06-01-2009 | 01:18 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='897049' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:15 PM
just head over this way buddy ----> http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=78058&st=0
Old 06-01-2009 | 01:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='896968
No offence meant to all you guys who say you work in IT....but
Happy belated!

IT projects I've been in usually come in under budget and ahead of time. Business projects (that some like to call IT projects)...well that's another story!

I won't get into a religious debate but I will say never trust ANY Anti Virus program, they are only a layer of defense that work AFTER something happened.

I'm only half right...the other half left!
Old 06-01-2009 | 02:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='897094' date='Jun 1 2009, 05:59 PM
I agree with you! but a PC is not something that works out of the box. If you want a system that "just works out of the box" get a Mac. I've never considered Windows an out of the box product because there are so many companies with their hand in it (too many cooks), I've always had low expectations. Mac development is under one roof...when MS does that it gets the anti-trust people riled up.

PC/Mac they are all just computers to me, the only safe computer is one that's powered off.

Happy belated!

IT projects I've been in usually come in under budget and ahead of time. Business projects (that some like to call IT projects)...well that's another story!

I won't get into a religious debate but I will say never trust ANY Anti Virus program, they are only a layer of defense that work AFTER something happened.

I'm only half right...the other half left!
Connection --> Modem in Bridged mode ---> Router with DD-WRT ---> Linux box with PFSense ---> PC

I need to update my setup =(
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

read the entire thread. gotta love the classic mac vs pc

there are plenty of mac exploits out there they just aren't as publicized by the media because it's not the dominant OS.

MacBook/Safari Hacked in 10 Seconds
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pwn2Own-C...-2009,7322.html
"He also said he came to CanSecWest with the intention to hack into Safari and tested the exploit to make sure it worked first time around."

iTunes 8.2 (I believe some form of iTunes comes out of the box) - 6/1/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3592
"Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

ATS (Adobe Type Services) - 5/12/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3549
"Impact: Viewing or downloading a document containing a maliciously crafted embedded CFF font may lead to arbitrary code execution"

CFNetwork - 5/12/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3549
"Impact: Visiting a malicious website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

List goes on and on and on... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

BetterMakeWay
Interesting article in deed I have some thoughts on it. Most botnets out there are from exploited Windows machines, this I agree with. Now most of the infected machines are running older and unpatched versions of Windows/IE6. Your article claims "If so, this would explain why Apple now has 20% or more of certain markets, but does not have even 1% of the malware market." Have they compared this to let's say WinXP w/ SP3 or Windows Vista? The article is basically comparing newer technology (OSX) to older technology (WinXP/IE6). That's not a fair comparison in my mind because MS has come a long way in writing better code and limiting admin access.

Both operating systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but to say and believe that if you're running OS X that you're safe from virii/exploits/trojans/worms is just plain naive.

On a side note, what's the deal with OS X not being able to copy file paths? That 1 problem had me dump OS X. Yes I know there are 3rd party tools but we're talking out of the box right?
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:31 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

i would i'm running Windows 7 no firewall no antivirus.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='896847' date='Jun 1 2009, 11:11 AM
...and yet who around here would trust their Windows machine without AV apps, to run a whole month on the internet!? Try two months, three...if you can reach that time period

Quick Reply: Anti-Virus Program