Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anti-Virus Program

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009 | 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899121' date='Jun 3 2009, 03:31 AM
i would i'm running Windows 7 no firewall no antivirus.
Yeah, I have RC1 running with Nod32 & Comodo
but Vista is my daily driver. I actually love my vista installation. Rock solid. All useless processes removed or disabled. Running pretty lean.
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899121' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:31 AM
i would i'm running Windows 7 no firewall no antivirus.
Good! Keep up with it. Knowing it comes from the company that has the weakest software....now that's naive.
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:39 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

I'm running Windows 7 on an Intel X-25E SSD it's pretty sweet. I think Win7 is a winner for MS. A lot better than Vista and Millenium Edition

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='899130' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I have RC1 running with Nod32 & Comodo
but Vista is my daily driver. I actually love my vista installation. Rock solid. All useless processes removed or disabled. Running pretty lean.
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899118' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:28 AM
read the entire thread. gotta love the classic mac vs pc

there are plenty of mac exploits out there they just aren't as publicized by the media because it's not the dominant OS.
That is plain incorrect. Being the dominant OS in a certain domain doesn't mean or lead to media publicity of the vulnerabilities or exploits. Take for example the DNS servers (in fact any type of server farms). Most of the servers (like 90% of them) run linux. Linux like any other OS has vulnerabilities and for that matter i get security updates on my ubuntu server almost daily. Having said that i don't see any media publicity on this dominant OS. Do you?
MacBook/Safari Hacked in 10 Seconds
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pwn2Own-C...-2009,7322.html
"He also said he came to CanSecWest with the intention to hack into Safari and tested the exploit to make sure it worked first time around."
Yes but here is a more complete story on the article!

All of the hacking was done on the second day, when the users were pointed on some sites that contained the code. That's more of a social engineering hack then software hack.
What i mean to say is that: there is no security in the world that can keep you safe from visiting like an idiot malicious sites. Moreover Safari has implemented a database with such sites and warns the user upon entering in a well known site. Also no security in the world can keep you safe from phishing attacks if you're dumb enough to fall into the trap.

iTunes 8.2 (I believe some form of iTunes comes out of the box) - 6/1/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3592
"Impact: Visiting a maliciously crafted website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

ATS (Adobe Type Services) - 5/12/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3549
"Impact: Viewing or downloading a document containing a maliciously crafted embedded CFF font may lead to arbitrary code execution"

CFNetwork - 5/12/09
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3549
"Impact: Visiting a malicious website may lead to an unexpected application termination or arbitrary code execution"

List goes on and on and on... http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

As you correctly pointed out those are (WERE) vulnerabilities, not necessarily exploits. I say this because i haven't heard of a wide spread exploit on any of those vulnerabilities that were patched. In fact i haven't hear about any exploit at all on those examples on regular users, not in some hacker contests.
Here is the wikipedia explanation of arbitrary code execution:
In computer security, arbitrary code execution is used to describe an attacker's ability to execute any commands of the attacker's choice on a target machine or in a target process. It is commonly used in arbitrary code execution vulnerability to describe a software bug that gives an attacker a way to execute arbitrary code.

BetterMakeWay
Interesting article in deed I have some thoughts on it. Most botnets out there are from exploited Windows machines, this I agree with. Now most of the infected machines are running older and unpatched versions of Windows/IE6. Your article claims "If so, this would explain why Apple now has 20% or more of certain markets, but does not have even 1% of the malware market." Have they compared this to let's say WinXP w/ SP3 or Windows Vista? I dunno, i don't recall reading anything regarding this. Did you? The article is basically comparing newer technology (OSX) to older technology (WinXP/IE6). How did you arrive to that conclusion? OSX has been around since what 2002? That's not a fair comparison in my mind because MS has come a long way in writing better code and limiting admin access. You say it's not fair but i don't see why not, as i pointed above. MS has "indeed bettered" itself with Windows Defender which is an utterly useless service, many users disabling it. Also UAC is so damn idiotic and disturbing that it gets also disabled in the end by the user rendering another MS protection (about user elevation-very important btw) useless. So we are back to square one.

Both operating systems have their advantages and disadvantages, but to say and believe that if you're running OS X that you're safe from virii/exploits/trojans/worms is just plain naive.
No it's not, but i understand your frustration as i've been there. We are completely safe from viruses, as NONE of the malware written so far for the Mac OSX was/is self replicating. Most, if not all of the trojans, (10 precisely) were installed with pirated software, and for that (user ignorance) Apple or any other company can't do anything about it. Exploits, sure if software is written for those vulnerabilities, and yet i haven't heard as i said earlier of such a wide spread attack. Worms? What worms? So you see my dear friend, in the end while you search for excuses for MS software and ways to dismiss OS X you get to stay with your AV (or not, it's your choice) as Macs continue to stay safe despite all the doom's day scenarios pointed out by Windows folks, saying that it will come but from the past years nothing has happened.
Conclusion: Please make a difference between secure and safe. We, Mac users, are yet completely safe and have been for years. Secure? Probably quite secure but not impenetrable, but nothing bad so far happened so to force us to take measures. Call it naive if you want, i call it relaxed and not bothered knowing what i know. I can focus more on what's really important.

On a side note, what's the deal with OS X not being able to copy file paths? That 1 problem had me dump OS X. Yes I know there are 3rd party tools but we're talking out of the box right?
What do you mean not being able to copy file paths? Are you serious?
Like this maybe?! /Users/andrei/Pictures/Above\&Beyond\ @\ WTC\ on\ 03.04.2007
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:41 AM
Former Vendor

Wait really you can? How? I'm very serious about this not being sarcastic.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899157' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:36 AM
On a side note, what's the deal with OS X not being able to copy file paths? That 1 problem had me dump OS X. Yes I know there are 3rd party tools but we're talking out of the box right?
What do you mean not being able to copy file paths? Are you serious?
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899133' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm running Windows 7 on an Intel X-25E SSD it's pretty sweet. I think Win7 is a winner for MS. A lot better than Vista and Millenium Edition
For sure it's the winner!

This is funny as hell:
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:50 AM
Former Vendor

The videos you sent me were beta copies of Windows 7 that means there are still bugs and glitches. I've personally ran it at work and at home for over 3 months now without any crashes.

Windows 7 > Vista

But seriously how do you copy a file path in OS X?

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899165' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:47 AM
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899163' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:41 AM
Wait really you can? How? I'm very serious about this not being sarcastic.
It's simple really...

In a finder window drag the file or folder you wish the path shown to the search bar on the top right. Then hit cmd+c to copy it and cmd+v to paste it in the terminal. That's it.
Old 06-03-2009 | 12:55 AM
Former Vendor

seriously?! hmm wish that was more intuitive but i'll try it out one of the macs at work tomorrow. thanks.

obviously if i give a path to a user let's say cifs://fileserver/share/readme.pdf they can paste that into the search bar (spotlight) it'll open yeah?

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899172' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:52 AM
It's simple really...

In a finder window drag the file or folder you wish the path shown to the search bar on the top right. Then hit cmd+c to copy it and cmd+v to paste it in the terminal. That's it.
Old 06-03-2009 | 01:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899175' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:55 AM
seriously?! hmm wish that was more intuitive but i'll try it out one of the macs at work tomorrow. thanks.

obviously if i give a path to a user let's say cifs://fileserver/share/readme.pdf they can paste that into the search bar (spotlight) it'll open yeah?
No sweat. Yes it may seem a bit awkward at the beginning, but in truth so it was at first when i tried to do a print screen as i was looking for a prt scr button. Now i got used to cmd+shift+3 (4) and i find it second nature.

Also you might wanna try this to avoid the drag& drop and cmd+c:

http://osxdaily.com/2007/12/02/show-full-d...dow-title-bars/

or this:
http://mac.elated.com/2007/07/27/copy-and-...-in-the-finder/

As for the paste of a path in spotlight, i don't think that would work. Spotlight begins searching the Mac, not opening the path. I understand what you're asking but i don't know if it's possible. Mac does stuff it's own way, it doesn't copy Windows behavior in any way. As for me i never needed to do that. Maybe you should try getting into terminal...

Quick Reply: Anti-Virus Program