Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Anti-Virus Program

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 01:12 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 14 550i

the problem is i work in a production environment where creatives and developers are constantly sending each other paths to files they are working on. windows it's piece of cake windows key+r then paste the path into the run line.

u're probably going to object to my next statement but i've just found the mac os x workflow not as crisp as windows.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899180' date='Jun 3 2009, 02:09 AM
No sweat. Yes it may seem a bit awkward at the beginning, but in truth so it was at first when i tried to do a print screen as i was looking for a prt scr button. Now i got used to cmd+shift+3 (4) and i find it second nature.

Also you might wanna try this to avoid the drag& drop and cmd+c:

http://osxdaily.com/2007/12/02/show-full-d...dow-title-bars/

or this:
http://mac.elated.com/2007/07/27/copy-and-...-in-the-finder/

As for the paste of a path in spotlight, i don't think that would work. Spotlight begins searching the Mac, not opening the path. I understand what you're asking but i don't know if it's possible. Mac does stuff it's own way, it doesn't copy Windows behavior in any way. As for me i never needed to do that. Maybe you should try getting into terminal...
Old 06-03-2009 | 01:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899181' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:12 PM
the problem is i work in a production environment where creatives and developers are constantly sending each other paths to files they are working on. windows it's piece of cake windows key+r then paste the path into the run line.

u're probably going to object to my next statement but i've just found the mac os x workflow not as crisp as windows.
Not really. I understand your pain...

I saw that if you drag a file or folder in a terminal window it outputs the path. It's in a way an easier way to copy the path. As for accessing the resource only by knowing the path i don't know how to do it. There may be a way via terminal.

As for the general statement i find working with OS X much cleaner and simpler than with Windows. For example installing and removing apps is just one click away (literally), not to mention that i can't live anymore without Time Machine. It's like having a safety net for anything...
Old 06-03-2009 | 01:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: F11 -14

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899190' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:23 AM
As for the general statement i find working with OS X much cleaner and simpler than with Windows. For example installing and removing apps is just one click away (literally), not to mention that i can't live anymore without Time Machine. It's like having a safety net for anything...
+1!
Old 06-03-2009 | 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899181' date='Jun 3 2009, 02:12 AM

Have you tried Command+K?
Old 06-03-2009 | 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Old 06-03-2009 | 08:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='896469' date='Jun 1 2009, 04:01 AM
That's a big misconception. Mac is JUST as safe as it used to be. People have to understand the difference between vulnerabilities and exploits, and the difference between type of malware, and which is active and which is not.

Here is a great article explaining lots of Mac related security!

I for one continue not to use any kind of antivirus programs on my Mac. I've been doing it for over half a year now, and there is no problem at all. Mac users have reported they used their Macs for years and years without having to deal with any kind of malware. Of course there are a few guys that unavoidable, due to the lack of brains or ignorance, get infected with trojans and stuff like that when they install a pirated software for example, or users that practically give away their passwords, use weak password hints and stuff like that. For that stupidity there is no security app in the world that can help you.

To quote somebody:

Back to the topic: For the PCs at work i use AVIRA Free which does a good job considering it's free. At home, with my PC i use Avira Premium which has everything security related built into it, but comes at a cost! Not necessarily money wise, but more at a cost with computer speed/slowdowns. It's a shame windows people have to deal with this since they not only have to deal with antivirus costs but with a 20-30% computer slowdowns due to active scanners, and a lot of CPU threads being eaten up by firewalls, internet scanning etc...
There is a free AVG website out there. Be careful, though. There is a similar website that wants $$, and it is a scam. Do a search for scams and malware + anti-virus, etc.

The real AVG is great--like Norton, etc.
Old 06-03-2009 | 08:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='899484' date='Jun 3 2009, 12:34 PM
There is a free AVG website out there. Be careful, though. There is a similar website that wants $$, and it is a scam. Do a search for scams and malware + anti-virus, etc.

The real AVG is great--like Norton, etc.

Overall consensus: AVG is a pitaful excuse for an AV program
Old 06-03-2009 | 09:31 AM
Former Vendor

That just opens the Connect to Network window I don't think I can open files from there.

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='899387' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:09 AM
Have you tried Command+K?
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myfootsmells' post='899527' date='Jun 3 2009, 08:31 PM
That just opens the Connect to Network window I don't think I can open files from there.
I will try this tomorrow with a path indicating to a file, but at least hitting cmd+r would allow you to connect to any server be it cifs, smb or ftp to the exact folder you specify. You can even set them to automount.
Old 06-03-2009 | 11:03 AM
Former Vendor

Alright I just tried dragging a file into the spotlight area in the upper right corner and nothing happens. To get the path I have to drag into the terminal but that's just way too many steps to grab a file path. I don't understand why Apple doesn't make it easier out of the box w/o 3rd party add-ons.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='899635' date='Jun 3 2009, 11:58 AM
I will try this tomorrow with a path indicating to a file, but at least hitting cmd+r would allow you to connect to any server be it cifs, smb or ftp to the exact folder you specify. You can even set them to automount.

Quick Reply: Anti-Virus Program