Group Buys For the listing and discussion of group buys only!

Retrofit cable for LCI look on Aftermarket Sonar lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I was playing with some configuration and coding settings and I've created a completely passive retrofit cable for the Aftermarket Sonar lights. As seen here https://5series.net/forums/topic/904...y-tail-lights/

It fixes ALL the drawbacks that the original lights had. But most importantly they are half the price of my electronic based cables.

1. You get both Brake lights to come on only when you Brake.
2. The LED rods are brighter.
3. You dont need the resistor boxes, so no more heat.

Ofcourse the cable is all plug and play and uses original BMW plugs.

You MUST have a working NCSexpert set-up but I will provide the NCSExpert values to change as well on your car.

If I have 5 people interested in this, then I can do the cables for £75 each.

This works with both LM1 and LM2 modules.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:11 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
I was playing with some configuration and coding settings and I've created a completely passive retrofit cable for the Aftermarket Sonar lights. As seen here https://5series.net/forums/topic/904...y-tail-lights/

It fixes ALL the drawbacks that the original lights had. But most importantly they are half the price of my electronic based cables.

1. You get both Brake lights to come on only when you Brake.
2. The LED rods are brighter.
3. You dont need the resistor boxes, so no more heat.

Ofcourse the cable is all plug and play and uses original BMW plugs.

You MUST have a working NCSexpert set-up but I will provide the NCSExpert values to change as well on your car.

If I have 5 people interested in this, then I can do the cables for £75 each.

This works with both LM1 and LM2 modules.
Bruce, can you elaborate more on this? I'm interested but not sure what this mean. Still a newbie when it comes to the E60, electronic wise.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2011, 01:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

This cable is for people who bought the Aftermarket non OEM Sonar LCI-Look tail-lights but have been disappointed because they didn't look good when installed on the car. This is due to the false marketing by the sellers of this product that make it seem like you'll get the LCI look at a fraction of the cost.

The problem is that this product is flawed and probably a tad unsafe as well.

In the past I have produced and sold a cableset that solved the problems with the product, to the extent possible. However the sheer UK based production costs of the kit make it expensive and that has put people off this, especially since the lights are so cheap.

Seeing that so many people are into coding their own cars using NCSExpert, I decided to make a version of the cable that is cheap to produce but will need the car coded.

The cable itself is completely PnP and there is no cutting involved, the process is completely reversible.

Another advantage of this solution is that should, in the future, you decide to upgrade to the actual OEM LCI light the coding is the same and you will just need to swap a plug on one end of the cable.

BUT remember, you MUST have a working NCSexpert set-up to do this. Please don't ask me questions on this because I will assume you know what you are doing. However I will supply you with the NCSExpert settings required.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Members

Ah...got it. Thanks Bruce. Will need to look into this coding down the line; looks a bit complicated for me though.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:40 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another advantage of this solution is that should, in the future, you decide to upgrade to the actual OEM LCI light the coding is the same and you will just need to swap a plug on one end of the cable.
Will you be making a version of this cable with the LCI plugs already attached? (for those who use NCSExpert)
Old 06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Hopefully now that there is a review of these cables there will be more interest. Honestly this is best upgrade you can do to the Sonar lights. It drives them at their maximum potential. After this, if you want better then OEM is the only way.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/114..._fromsearch__1

Also, if there is anyone in the UK who is interested, I can do a set of Brand new lights and cables + coding for £300 total. Just one set of lights available - bought these to test the cables and they have never been mounted on the car yet.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:42 PM
Members

sorry to bring this old thread alive again ,, Bruce : is this cable also works on the original LCI or only on the aftermarket LCI ,, I have 530I 2004 , I'm interested in changing my ugly taillights ..

the problem is I bought the original LCI and I bought the retrofit kit from BMW ,, but after reading several threads here , i found out that I can't just swap the taillights ,, I have to make full LCI upgrade with headlights and light module ..

I wanted to PM you but I still don't have enough post ...

thanks in advance .
Old 09-18-2011, 01:12 AM
Contributors

So you want to do the rears only, why not buy my plug and play cable? Its the easiest way to get the rears done with least hassle. If you want to reuse the parts you have bought already its going to involve coding. Contact me and I'll help you either way. You should be able to PM now.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:29 AM
Members

So you want to do the rears only, why not buy my plug and play cable? Its the easiest way to get the rears done with least hassle. If you want to reuse the parts you have bought already its going to involve coding. Contact me and I'll help you either way. You should be able to PM now.
great , we will talk in PM ..