E61 Touring Discussion The touring is also known as the wagon version of the 5 series.

Rear Camera Install

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2001 M5, 2010 535iXT Automatic
Model Year: 2001, 2010
Default Rear Camera Install

I finally got around to installing the BimmerTech Rear View Camera Retrofit, e60 rear view camera retrofit - Park Assist Retrofits - BMW E60/E61 2003-2010 - BimmerTech . It turned out to be easier than expected. A key note for us wagon/touring/E61 owners is that we are actually in this case luckier than the sedan/e60 brethren.

Sometimes my military indoctrination takes control and I don't see the forest for the trees. After a short e-mail exchange with Patryk, the self-evident routing through the headliner was highlighted. Kudos to Patryk and BimmerTech for both a highly integrated product and outstanding technical support.

The tailgate trim removal is pretty much self evident and included in BimmerTech's instructions.HOWEVER, wagon owners should not follow the rest of the instructions as the sedan's wire ends up in the battery box area, and the cable will not be long enough to go from our tailgate down the right rear pillar to the battery box and then to the front... I was about two feet short of cable.

Chesney72's tailgate wiring harness post https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...acement-72751/ shows how to get the wiring from the actual hatchback through the right-most hinge cable housing and then accessed internally through the right rear speaker. From there, simply tuck the wire under the headliner, tucking into the pillar trim for the B pillar and then down the A pillar to the glovebox. (SORRY, I did not take pictures as my garage could surely use more light for photography..

Those of us with the panoramic sunroof have few options, in the ceiling as the sunroof, grab handles and pillars all intrude a bit. There turns out to be a good space for the wire, but be sure to tuck it well underneath the headliner and not directly under the trim holding the headliner in (I imagine there would be friction there that might damage the wire sooner or later.

Although the camera package was relatively expensive, it works intuitively and is a great asset, especially with the PDC (factory installed). The two components work very well together, with the routing diagrams and illuminated contact points imposed on the camera image being much more intuitive than the PDC diagram by itself. As an extra, there are at least two more AV inputs for stereo imagery if you would like to add components. I haven't played with these yet, although I bought a second camera for the front which will utilize one of the inputs.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 525i

Hey, nice to hear you tok the plunge and got it working. I've seen some rear view cameras on eBay. Id be really interested in getting one for my e61 525i. It's got the smaller screen up front. Any idea if there is an input straight into the back?

That's the only thing putting me off. Also once plugged in does it show up on the screen straight away or does it need coding? The more I read up on the entertainment system on the BMW the less I want to mess with it as it all seems built in. Only had the car a couple of days so I'm not that familiar with it yet.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:37 AM
Members

GuitarJon, Even my application requires a multi-media box, transfers the simple analog camera signal to the box via an RCA , box outputs expected signal/c/cab;e to the nav monitor..... So, I guess that means I really don't know, but would expect BimmerTech to have a system for your car system as well. They have a good website that shows what they can provide for your model, and then verify the offering against your VIN.
Old 04-10-2015, 11:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: e61 525i

Thanks I'll google bimmmerTech. I'm new to all things bmw.
Old 04-11-2015, 04:45 AM
Members

HI Jon,

I put a link directly to the camera kit in my intro paragraph, but here is the BimmerTech link as well; BMW Sirius, Combox, Apps, Rear View Cameras and Parts - BimmerTech
Old 07-26-2015, 06:09 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Wagon (E61 w/6MT)
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by sfcacique
I finally got around to installing the BimmerTech Rear View Camera Retrofit, e60 rear view camera retrofit - Park Assist Retrofits - BMW E60/E61 2003-2010 - BimmerTech . It turned out to be easier than expected. A key note for us wagon/touring/E61 owners is that we are actually in this case luckier than the sedan/e60 brethren.

Sometimes my military indoctrination takes control and I don't see the forest for the trees. After a short e-mail exchange with Patryk, the self-evident routing through the headliner was highlighted. Kudos to Patryk and BimmerTech for both a highly integrated product and outstanding technical support.

The tailgate trim removal is pretty much self evident and included in BimmerTech's instructions.HOWEVER, wagon owners should not follow the rest of the instructions as the sedan's wire ends up in the battery box area, and the cable will not be long enough to go from our tailgate down the right rear pillar to the battery box and then to the front... I was about two feet short of cable.

Chesney72's tailgate wiring harness post https://5series.net/forums/e61-touri...acement-72751/ shows how to get the wiring from the actual hatchback through the right-most hinge cable housing and then accessed internally through the right rear speaker. From there, simply tuck the wire under the headliner, tucking into the pillar trim for the B pillar and then down the A pillar to the glovebox. (SORRY, I did not take pictures as my garage could surely use more light for photography..

Those of us with the panoramic sunroof have few options, in the ceiling as the sunroof, grab handles and pillars all intrude a bit. There turns out to be a good space for the wire, but be sure to tuck it well underneath the headliner and not directly under the trim holding the headliner in (I imagine there would be friction there that might damage the wire sooner or later.

Although the camera package was relatively expensive, it works intuitively and is a great asset, especially with the PDC (factory installed). The two components work very well together, with the routing diagrams and illuminated contact points imposed on the camera image being much more intuitive than the PDC diagram by itself. As an extra, there are at least two more AV inputs for stereo imagery if you would like to add components. I haven't played with these yet, although I bought a second camera for the front which will utilize one of the inputs.
Great tip on taking the "high road" headliner option. I basically have the cable leading from the camera, through the rear tailgate (e61), through the hinge area and awaiting me at the rear speaker whenever I am ready to move forward.

Could you describe the route or method of navigating the headliner to the A pillar? It seems like a blind journey!

I also PM'd so feel free to disregard that message. Thanks again for your original post and any insight you can share.

Will
Old 07-27-2015, 04:01 PM
Members

Originally Posted by OldSpool87
Great tip on taking the "high road" headliner option. I basically have the cable leading from the camera, through the rear tailgate (e61), through the hinge area and awaiting me at the rear speaker whenever I am ready to move forward.

Could you describe the route or method of navigating the headliner to the A pillar? It seems like a blind journey!

I also PM'd so feel free to disregard that message. Thanks again for your original post and any insight you can share.

Will

Wil,

It really couldn't be much easier. I had the rear pillar off, so I headed over there with the wire. Then you can just sandwich the wire between the headliner and RIGHT trim pieces. USE REAL UPHOLSTERY PLASTIC TOOLs instead of screwdrivers etc. I separated the headliner from the trim, slid the wire in, then tucked it in a bit, then separated the trim/headliner in front of that piece. Once I started it might have taken 15m total, but seems like only about 5m now. Little bit tricky around the door pillars and hand grips, but everything is self-evident. I removed the front pillar cover, to place the wire inside (NOT OVER THE AIRBAG) then down. I believe the part to the right of the glove box only had to have the top part taken off. You take off the back of the glove box itself (interior not the door) and then you can reach both the right side panels and the nav cubby. Push the combo box as far right as you can, you'll find a little niche there of you try multiple times. There are a lot of cables to play with coming off of the combo box, Put them where you want, but I tried to make sure I could access all the feeds from the glove box, and all the "permanent" leads more to the center of the car beside/in back of the nav system. I put the remote control and the diagnostic button into the glove box. Haven't had to use them, but they are there if I want / need to.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:22 PM
New Members

Thanks a million for taking the time to put it all in writing. I'll post pics after I'm done with areas with which I struggled (mostly navigating the routing if the cable from tailgate, past the Hinge of Sorrows, and into the rear speaker area).

I appreciated the PM as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:33 AM
New Members

I made it to the glove box!! I'd still be scratching my head by the rear speaker had it not been for the insightful advice of sfcacique…thank you again.

Once I had the rear speaker removed and the cable dangling, I had to figure out how to fish it to the passenger side trim. I used trim tools to gently pry away the black, flocked rubber trim that meets the headliner. I was then able to take a long zip tie (1/4" thick like law enforcement uses) and fish it FROM trim side TO speaker area. Here's the trick: the speaker itself has an 1/8" notch at the top of it's mounting plate which would face the front of the car if installed. This makes the perfect chase for the cable to come down out of the speaker cavity. You can then affix the cable to the zip tie and fish it back to the trim area. Be gentle but not too shy as there are some blind obstacles to finesse on the way to the trim.

Once at the trim I used my thumb to get between the rubber trim and headliner as I place the cable in the gap behind. Tough to explain but intuitive as mentioned before.

I got into the glove box by routing by its hinge. There was no trim removal the entire route and zero evidence of the cable.

Once I got to the glove box I looked up in the sky and saw a flock of doves flying under a rainbow and knew I had arrived…

More to come on when I actually get time to hook it all up in the dash.

Anyone else tackling this project feel free to PM me.

Thanks again sfcacique.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: E61 M Sport
Model Year: 2010

When routing the wires from the tailgate did you go through one of the factory cable guides or run the bare wire for the camera? The instructions I received from modmynav were either incomplete, or I'm an idiot.

Quick Reply: Rear Camera Install