Frequently Asked Questions Feel free to add to our FAQ answers or contribute new questions.

What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Heated Seats, Bluetooth Car Kit, Privacy Windows Rear

Originally Posted by tume' post='515240' date='Jan 9 2008, 12:14 AM
ed_foden: I got it working.. but only way it works is burning with that XP's drag-and-drop burning. I would prefer Nero of course, so if you have those settings they would be appreciated!
I took a screen print from Nero and a photo of how it displayed on the I-Drive (both attached) but the only way it would recognize a nero burnt disc was to burn it as a CD (UDF/ISO)

please forgive the music selection....any questions let me know

Cheers

Ed
Attached Thumbnails What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-photo2.jpg   What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-dsc02433.jpg  
Old 01-13-2008, 03:57 PM
SLB
Members

Hello,

I just got my e60 2004 (520i non NAV/DVD only single CD) from a non-BMW dealer. I read in this forum how to check the CIP. What I got from secret menu is 1-06-03-510_051122 so I guess the CIP is 22 or 21.
Now is it possible to play MP3? Or I have to update the CIP to higher Ver. and ask the dealer to update the system to play MP3s?? I?m newbie here so ur assistance is highly appreciated

Cheers
Old 01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Lomag' post='262725' date='Mar 30 2006, 10:45 PM
What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?

First and foremost make sure to use a CD-R disc and not a CD-RW disc! Also make sure you use a higher quality CD-R disc, not the cheapest you can find. I first used a CD-RW disc and noticed that songs would just randomly stop playing, others started before the one playing finished, and other strange blips while songs were playing. I thought this was the CD player skipping due to bumps on the road but it happened on flat roads too. I then thought it was because my of my older car being enabled per MP3 against BMW's recommendation. However, re-burning my music on a CD-R disc with the settings below seems to have stopped all of that!

In terms of CD burner program settings I'm using Nero Burning ROM with these settings:

Normal Data CD-ROM (ISO)
No Multisession
Data Mode 1
File System ISO 9660:1999 (this is a KEY setting)
File Name Length Max 207 chars (will automaticly set when you select the file system above)
Burn Speed 8x -- don't burn your CD's at max speed because there's more room for error
Disc-at-Once write method
Make sure to check off "Finalize CD" before burning

So, burn your CD as you like it. If you want to make changes it's best to toss the old CD and burn a new one. These CD-R discs are only pennies now-a-days. I imagine these settings can be set by any CD burning software you may use.

Other than CD burner settings you should also lookout for specific MP3 settings in terms of the bitrate of the MP3. It's possible that the cars computer doesn't officially support bit rates higher than 192 Kbps. I personally only download 192 Kbps encoded songs (CD quality) when available but sometimes get stick with 128 Kbps which is OK too. One other thing to avoid is VBR (variable bit rate) MP3's. I think those cause the computer to get confused sometimes hence random skipping and other possible wierdness. VBR MP3's can be converted into fixed bitrate MP3's though so if you have any I'd highly suggest doing that.

The iDrive computer will display the filename of the MP3 on the screen. There won't be any underscores and the text won't be in all capital letters. They'll be in plain normal print like "Artist Name - Song Name" just without the ".mp3" extension. The ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in most MP3's are not used here unless you select "Details" however there's no need to use Details when setting the original file name to what you want displayed.

In addition, the MP3's will be displayed (and played) in alphabetical order unless you choose the random function in iDrive. If you want them to play in a specific order, the only way to do this that we know of, is to prefix each file name with a number. For example, "01 - Artist Name - Song Name.mp3". It'll display two numbers on iDrive however atleast the MP3's will play in the order you wish them to play in.

As I've mentioned the key to displaying the song artist/titles properly is the ISO 9660:1999 file system setting. If you don't set that properly you're going to see your files like the following two pictures:

The below picture shows ISO 9660 + Joilet file system mode with Level 1 file name length (generally the default of most CD burning software):
Attachment 17240

The below picture shows ISO 9660 + Joilet file system mode with Level 2 file name length:
Attachment 17241

And finally, the below picture shows what your MP3 cd will look like if you've used the ISO 9660:1999 file system mode I recommended above. I also strongly recommend following all the other settings too!
Attachment 17242
Unable to read mp3 disk ?
Hello all,
Got a 2005 535d Sport - with professional sat nav . Just had it enabled at the dealer to read mp3 disk and latest progman but after many disks still get
'unsupported media' message !!!!
Followed all the settings above. Using Imation CD-R disks.Tried with Windows XP and failed, now using Nero 8 burning software - (not express) under CD-ROM(ISO).
Have checked the disks and they run on a computer OK.
Anybody any ideas ?????- it's getting really annoying !!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated .
Thanks.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I know I posted DVD information in other locations but just now realized this thread gets lots of hits so probably worth putting here as well.

While I do not know of absolute limits in a specific area I will include my data here as a sample of what is achievable although I know individuals have reached higher numbers in several cases.

This is on a DL DVD+R

The attached photos are samples from this particular DVD.

Files (songs) = 1066
Folders = 116
...........Organized by: Artist (top level), then album, then songs within album
Total GB used = 7.4
MP3 compression used = min-192kb, max-320kb, also many at 256kb (more than 50% of the 1066 songs at or greater than 256kb)
Software = iTunes (older version- not updated since 2006)
Burn speed = 2x (I do not trust higher speeds however, I have been successful at 4x as well)

In operation and using the sample in the pictures, I can scroll from artist #1 to artist #47 in 2-3 seconds, select an album in 1-2 seconds and start song in another 1 second.

Beginning of the artist list (folders)
What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-img_0845.jpg
End of the artist list (folders)
What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-img_1134.jpg
Albums within this artist (folders)
What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-img_1136.jpg
Songs (files)within the album (folder) - BTW, the extra ## file number in front of each song happens because I had them numbered in my folder on my hard drive. I think I did that to force them to be in tha same order as they were on original album. May not have been necessary, but I did it anyway.
What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?-img_1137.jpg
Old 04-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Dealer upgraded TCU because sales person said my 05 CPO had bluetooth.
Now cdrs play with no problem.....
Old 06-06-2008, 03:42 PM
Members

Help! I have a July 2006 520d and the manual definately says that I can play MP3 CD's. I have tried most of the methods on this and other posts but I keep getting the same message 'medium cannot be read'. At the same time 'CD' is greyed out. Is it likley I am going to have to go back to the dealer to get this resolved.

I have tried using Itunes and also Nero but still get the same message.

Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Members

OK, Here is a new one for the masses. I have been using burned MP'3 at (Windows MediaPlayer ) 256 bit rate on Maxell disc's in my 2006 550. They worked great for about 3 months and today skipping , clicking, and other bad stuff began happening. I took disc out of cd drive and put in DVD drive and voila, played perfectly. Put back in CD drive and same skipping etc. Performed the control, alt , delete routine pushing down volume and two eject buttons and now they play perfectly again. Also need to mention it was very hot today and car was sitting in sun. Crappy data corruption in some sort of memory? Any Ideas?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:22 PM
Members

Originally Posted by NigelCollins' post='597395' date='Jun 7 2008, 12:42 AM
Help! I have a July 2006 520d and the manual definately says that I can play MP3 CD's. I have tried most of the methods on this and other posts but I keep getting the same message 'medium cannot be read'. At the same time 'CD' is greyed out. Is it likley I am going to have to go back to the dealer to get this resolved.

I have tried using Itunes and also Nero but still get the same message.

Thanks
Any update on this? I've tried to play mp3 cd's written as per instructions at start of this thread but i get the "medium cannot be read" message every time too. Version on I Drive is I-06-03-510-051122 which I believe is MP3 compatible.

Any help greatfully received.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Contributors

OK;
This is driving me up the wall.
I have Windows Vista and Nero 7 Essentials. I have checked every tab, every option but cannot find the ISO9660:1999 anywhere.
I've tried to burn as an MP3 disc and as a data disk and all I get is Media is not recognised error.

The car is a 520d SE March 2006, standard fit CD.

Any help really appreciated.

Thanks in advance
RM
Old 10-21-2008, 11:45 AM
Members

I've got a March 2006 520d and have exactly the same problem. Tried everything in here, got Nero 7, done the ISO thing etc etc etc. Still getting the 'Medium Cannot be read' message.

From what i've read here cars of this age must be compatible, it looks like the pre 2005 cars were questionable.

If I can't get this resolved i'm going to have to go for the iPod upgrade which costs a bomb!

Can you let me know if you found a solution?

Cheers,
Adam

Quick Reply: What are the best settings to use when burning a MP3 CD?