F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

what a BOAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 09:38 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by V70Cat
I don't think you should have to order a car with a M package to get a BMW with good road feel and handling.

The 2011 528 lacks a little power because it is a 528 not a 535; but that is not the problem the car feels big and soft more like a BMW version of my dad's Lincoln.
No, you don't have to order a M sport package but DHP is a must. Comfort mode makes F10 is soft like your dad's Lincoln but in Sport mode it handles as well as e60.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Lay off the burgers and breakfast buffets and the next generation may have slimmed down too!
no f*ckin way chap, chzburgerz FTW!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Look chaps it's all well and good blaming the BMW design department for getting it wrong but lets face facts; there is only one thing to blame for the increase in size of the 5...............

They've had to make it big enough to fit the chubby Americans in!!!

If they only sold it in Europe, to all us thinnys, it would remain nice an small.

Lay off the burgers and breakfast buffets and the next generation may have slimmed down too!
More Americans actually buy the smaller 3 Series.

But since you've thrown down the stereotype gauntlet, let's talk about stones being thrown in glass houses. The UK has - by some margin - the highest obesity rates in Europe and is not that far behind the US in terms of overall obesity rates.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Very nice.

I find it funny that you say the M3 couldn't keep up with your X5.....that's blasphemy to the M3 crowd!
More like total B*llocks, I would like to see that 4*4 get anywhere near my M3, Someone's living in dream world.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by Petes550i
I personally wouldn't put wider tires on the X5...to me, it defeats the whole purpose of an AWD SUV....but if you're in NC, I guess snow isn't such a big concern.

I find it funny that you say the M3 couldn't keep up with your X5.....that's blasphemy to the M3 crowd!
What I am doing with the X5 is putting the ultimate summer tires on it for 9 months of the year and full winter tires on slightly more narrow rims for the 3 months we could have snow. The Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow are incredible on the slick stuff without being much of a sacrifice on dry, and will actually allow me to extend the life of the expensive summers.

I didn't say the M3 couldn't keep up, he just had to work it pretty hard to do so. I would pull away on corner exit, only for him to catch me as he wound out 2nd & 3rd. In a few places I did hold the gap for several turns.
BTW, my time on just the 3rd run ever in the X5 was a mere 15 seconds longer over 11 miles than my all time best with the 550i and that was with taking it a bit easy, having just witnessed a wreck on the road.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Great thing about the time we live in is that there's so many choices. If you don't like the direction BMW is going, fine, there's plenty of other good cars out there. Competition has never been better. For me, I've owned like 6-7 different brand of cars in the last 12 years. It's fun to experience what each carmaker brings to the table. Once my lease is up in a couple years, I'm probably going to go towards an Audi or go back to a Cayenne. I agree that Audi is in a roll right now. Everybody is imitating their style (esp. those famous LED running lights). Due to their popularity, Audi is probably the most expensive of the luxury brands. I have my eye on the upcoming S6, but I know that is going to cost some serious $$$. (The current S6 costs as much as a fully-loaded M5!).
Old 02-06-2011, 10:52 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by swajames
More Americans actually buy the smaller 3 Series.

But since you've thrown down the stereotype gauntlet, let's talk about stones being thrown in glass houses. The UK has - by some margin - the highest obesity rates in Europe and is not that far behind the US in terms of overall obesity rates.
Yep agree totally, we are getting a little more rotund over here thanks to a great American invention - the cheeseburger!

But while you guys were dreaming up other cheese based snacks we got cracking with:

The television
The telephone
The World Wide Web
The train
The cat's eye
Stereo
Photography
The jet engine
The electric motor
The computer
The tank
Radar
The iPod
The lightbulb
The industrial revolution

much love, good night, here all week.

(CO http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...#ixzz1DD40Prvq)
Old 02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Yep agree totally, we are getting a little more rotund over here thanks to a great American invention - the cheeseburger!

But while you guys were dreaming up other cheese based snacks we got cracking with:

The television
The telephone
The World Wide Web
The train
The cat's eye
Stereo
Photography
The jet engine
The electric motor
The computer
The tank
Radar
The iPod
The lightbulb
The industrial revolution

much love, good night, here all week.

(CO http://www.techradar.com/news/world-...#ixzz1DD40Prvq)
...and just as important, universal health coverage!

I think the US is the only industrialized country in the world where peoples' pets are healthier than the actual people!
Old 02-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by V70Cat
So I guess you are saying that BMW has made the car more like a Lexus to appeal to the general public. If I wanted I car that appeals to the general public I would buy a Lexus or a Honda. Both of these brands are much more reliable and less expensive. The idea of making the car bigger and needing a turbo 8 for power seems crazy. I loved the looks of the new 5 and was thinking about getting one when my lease ends but now I am disappointed. The 550 is a nice car but it has a sticker of $67,000 with options and does not get the millage of my 535 and is to big. The great part of the 535 E60&E61 was that they have great power and handling. I think I will look at Audi it seems like they have become interested in build German cars with handling and performance.

"The new A6 makes extensive use of aluminum and high-tech steel components, therefore the car is 176 lbs lighter than the current generation.The 2012 A6 is also shorter, sits lower and more economical than the old car".

The new 5 is heavier, bigger and more expensive!

I am not a BMW hatter I have had two BMW and liked both of them I am saddened by the direction of BMW they seemed to have forgotten what makes them special. If I wanted a bigger car I would of purchased a 7.
Nowdays, it's the Germans that are doing luxury better than the Japanese. (Whether that's good or not is up to you). Lexus and Infiniti's are nothing more than glamorized Camry's and Maxima's. (If you look at the interior of any Lexus, Infiniti, or Acura, you'll see a lot of design and parts-sharing from their lower tier counterparts). Even their reliability has gone down.....e.g. those massive Toyota/Lexus recalls. If you read any comparison test in car magazines, you'll see that a German car wins every time. (In a recent issue of MT, the 7 series won over the Lexus, Jaguar, and Infiniti). Even a BMW that has become less sportier is still more sport than its Japanese rival. I think the reason why German luxury cars continue to sell well, despite their high price, is that they retain their individuality and characteristics whereas the Japanese rivals continue to look like "cookie-cutter" cars every year. Even from far away, you can tell what car is a BMW, Audi, Porsche, or Mercedes, whereas nowdays, it's difficult to distinguish a Hyundai from a Lexus from a Infiniti or a Mazda.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what don't you guys get-its not the numbers and paper scores or even objective data. It "FEELS" like a boat. I am sure its got a great skidpad and 0-60 time but it feels big and bulky and looks that way from in the cabin. Sensation is a lot of what a true driver looks for. A nice exhaust note, great engine sound, how you feel in the cockpit all make the drivin experience. Sheer speed and numbers is meaningless. The e60 felt like a race car compared to this-and I am not talking numbers. So stop quoting stats, lean, roll, acceleration-I agree I am sure its great at that stuff. It looks and feels clunky and I did not have one ounce of pleasure in my driving it. nuff said