F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

what a BOAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
Maybe it's the changes for '11, the M Sport package, the adaptive suspension, active steering, 285 wide rear tires (I don't even have the 315s but will in the spring), or all of the above but it is impressive.
Here is a picture of it running the Tail of the Dragon. There's no more lean in the turns than a friends lowered M3. He said he had to work hard to keep up, especially on corner exit where I've got the massive torque.
Beautiful X5! It looks lower than our 2008 X5.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Richard, your X5 looks fantastic!
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Have you driven the X5 5.0 Pete? I can't say I have but you are the one preaching to folks that they should drive the cars before they pass judgement... Richard has driven both.
Yes I have OWNED Both + the X6 and the 550i M Sport is Miles better all round some people need to really drive the cars they buy or test.
Lets all go and buy a Farm truck for performance
Old 02-06-2011, 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio
Model Year: 08

I don't think you should have to order a car with a M package to get a BMW with good road feel and handling.

The 2011 528 lacks a little power because it is a 528 not a 535; but that is not the problem the car feels big and soft more like a BMW version of my dad's Lincoln.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by johnbmwx6
Yes I have OWNED Both + the X6 and the 550i M Sport is Miles better all round some people need to really drive the cars they buy or test.
Lets all go and buy a Farm truck for performance
That was exactly my point John! And Richard has done exactly that before expressing his opinion, apparently the ONLY one posting here who has...
Old 02-06-2011, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535XIT Space Gray, Cream Beige LeatherCold Weather, Premium, Auto, Rear Side Window Shapes, Heated Rear Seats, Park Distance, Navigation, Satellite Radio

Lets not get caught-up in a pro/con discussion of SUV's. The new SUV's made by BMW and others handle quite well. I traded my X5 for a E61 (535XIT) and a I am happy with it other than fuel pump failure issue.

What is strange is that BMW has made the new 5 different. It is based off the the 7 and is now a car (not a M) that lacks the BMW handling and road feel. It also feels much bigger my E61, feels smaller and is more fun to drive than the new sedan. It seems like BMW has taken a step backwards?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
Maybe it's the changes for '11, the M Sport package, the adaptive suspension, active steering, 285 wide rear tires (I don't even have the 315s but will in the spring), or all of the above but it is impressive.
Here is a picture of it running the Tail of the Dragon. There's no more lean in the turns than a friends lowered M3. He said he had to work hard to keep up, especially on corner exit where I've got the massive torque.

Very nice. I didn't realize until this post that you actually bought the X5. Congrats.
The M-Sport package looks good although, honestly, I see so many X5's every day, they all look the same to me, new or old. (When I pick up my kids at their private school, all these "soccer moms" are either driving an X5 or a Land Rover...my F10 sticks out like a sore thumb )

I personally wouldn't put wider tires on the X5...to me, it defeats the whole purpose of an AWD SUV....but if you're in NC, I guess snow isn't such a big concern.

I find it funny that you say the M3 couldn't keep up with your X5.....that's blasphemy to the M3 crowd!
Old 02-06-2011, 07:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by V70Cat
Lets not get caught-up in a pro/con discussion of SUV's. The new SUV's made by BMW and others handle quite well. I traded my X5 for a E61 (535XIT) and a I am happy with it other than fuel pump failure issue.

What is strange is that BMW has made the new 5 different. It is based off the the 7 and is now a car (not a M) that lacks the BMW handling and road feel. It also feels much bigger my E61, feels smaller and is more fun to drive than the new sedan. It seems like BMW has taken a step backwards?
It might be considered a step backwards to the enthusiast crowd, but not to the public in general. The new 5 series has lost some sport compared to the E60 but in return, it has better comfort, more luxury, more refinement, better ride quality, better interior and more options. Personally, I find my 550i on Sport settings to drive and handle just as well (if not better on many instances) than my 'ol 545i.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Petes550i
It might be considered a step backwards to the enthusiast crowd, but not to the public in general. The new 5 series has lost some sport compared to the E60 but in return, it has better comfort, more luxury, more refinement, better ride quality, better interior and more options. Personally, I find my 550i on Sport settings to drive and handle just as well (if not better on many instances) than my 'ol 545i.

So I guess you are saying that BMW has made the car more like a Lexus to appeal to the general public. If I wanted I car that appeals to the general public I would buy a Lexus or a Honda. Both of these brands are much more reliable and less expensive. The idea of making the car bigger and needing a turbo 8 for power seems crazy. I loved the looks of the new 5 and was thinking about getting one when my lease ends but now I am disappointed. The 550 is a nice car but it has a sticker of $67,000 with options and does not get the millage of my 535 and is to big. The great part of the 535 E60&E61 was that they have great power and handling. I think I will look at Audi it seems like they have become interested in build German cars with handling and performance.

"The new A6 makes extensive use of aluminum and high-tech steel components, therefore the car is 176 lbs lighter than the current generation.The 2012 A6 is also shorter, sits lower and more economical than the old car".

The new 5 is heavier, bigger and more expensive!

I am not a BMW hatter I have had two BMW and liked both of them I am saddened by the direction of BMW they seemed to have forgotten what makes them special. If I wanted a bigger car I would of purchased a 7.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Look chaps it's all well and good blaming the BMW design department for getting it wrong but lets face facts; there is only one thing to blame for the increase in size of the 5...............

They've had to make it big enough to fit the chubby Americans in!!!

If they only sold it in Europe, to all us thinnys, it would remain nice an small.

Lay off the burgers and breakfast buffets and the next generation may have slimmed down too!