F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well at the risk of further offending the E60 faithful, I will stop my posting on this subject. It's beginning to look like the Chris Bangle 2003-2004 all over again.

Flame away guys.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well at the risk of further offending the E60 faithful, I will stop my posting on this subject. It's beginning to look like the Chris Bangle 2003-2004 all over again.
Flame away guys.
+1

Let's talk (write) again, when these guys in a couple of years time, have the F10's.

Peace to all!
Old 07-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Well of course you won't mistake the E60 for a 3 or a 7.....the E60 design is almost 8 years old! While BMW updated the designs on the 3 and 7 during the last 8 years, the basic design on the 5 has virtually remained the same. Whether you think that's good or bad is entirely one's own opinion but to me, in the automotive world terms, it's a fossil.
I believe swajames was referring to the e60, e90, and e67/8

not e60, e90, f01..but even then those models are distictively different where as the current e90, f10, and f01 all have more similarities than previous models....

, not the e60 is a fossil...too funny...oh well....everyone is entitled to their opinion...

Flame away guys.
I honestly haven't seen anyone flaming here, merely stating opinions based on observations and literature....and IMO, has remained relatively calm...

and I do like the f10 and still am considering one for me at the end of the year....
Old 07-22-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I have a feeling that the BMW faithful with E60s looking to upgrade will find the F10 attractive, and rightly so. BMW E60 enthusiasts looking for continuation of driving experience that they are accustomed to may find it in the upcoming F30.

If I were in the market for a boulevard cruiser or tourer (with positive connotation), I would be all over the F10. I would still keep the E60 as my daily driver. I like both the E60 and F10, for their respective unique driving experience and amenities.

I agree with Petes550i. Cars are going to get heavier with each iteration of its design, the result of added safety features and consumer amenities. Whereas niche manufacturers like Porsche have been able to add lightness to their new models, most manufacturers end up with newer models that are heavier than the predecessor.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

There's no flaming going on, Pete. The discussions here are very different from 2003 and 2004. With the F10, all we're discussing are a few philosophical and engineering decisions and the conversations are intelligent, articulate and civil with good points and counter-points being made by all. Back in 2003 and 2004, it was as if the world had stopped turning, the entire car was being called into question and the discussions usually started badly and went downhill from there...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vkhong
I agree with Petes550i. Cars are going to get heavier with each iteration of its design, the result of added safety features and consumer amenities. Whereas niche manufacturers like Porsche have been able to add lightness to their new models, most manufacturers end up with newer models that are heavier than the predecessor.
actually its the exact opposite and already publicized by bmw. The NEXT generation of vehicles and engines will be smaller, NOT bigger. We've gotten to the point where the class sizes have to start backing up and fitting more properly in the real world. The fact is, the current new generation will be the outcasts when looked back upon years from now. They will be looked at as the overweights that empitomized the first decade of the new millenium. Ricracing has pointed it out clearly as well, the 5 series F10 in its new length is nearly too big for European citys, so when the MIDsize BMW is as large a limos, you can easily say that the size has gotten entirely too big for this class of vehicle.

All car companies are starting this reverse trend and we will begin to see in the coming years that the first Fx generation cars were the "end" of the bigbloated car era.

I'll say this again on the record, I dont think the F10 is a bad looking car(just boring looking) nor a bad quality car, I just dont think it fits the midsize sports luxury segment that it is supposed to represent and that is my gripe. I hope bmw is successful with it as I want them to be successful, but I think they have made poor decisions that do not position themselves well over the next 3-6 years as the market continues to contract for such large vehicles. I hope they quickly get back to their roots and re-invents itself after what can only be viewed, imho, as a vast error in judgement with this current and soon to be released oversized model offerings.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Members

1=3
3=5
5=7
7=China market
Old 07-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by raleedy
1=3
3=5
5=7
7=China market
Almost,but even China don't want the boatsize 7er, they are special though, they get F10 5series Li models which further streches the 5er!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by raleedy
1=3
3=5
5=7
7=China market
Pretty much my thoughts for the exception of the 7. My next 5 might just be a 3. Unless they bring the 5 wagon back and then I might get the 5 for the wife.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i Titanium Grey Metallic - 6 Speed Manual, Sport Suspension, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, Shades, L7 Sound

I'm with you... definately m3 but still love the size of the 550i but i know what you mean

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM
Pretty much my thoughts for the exception of the 7. My next 5 might just be a 3. Unless they bring the 5 wagon back and then I might get the 5 for the wife.

Quick Reply: Weight