F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Weight

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well going back to my earlier post, show me some hard numbers that prove once and for all that the added mass and weight makes the F10 550i slower and less agile (and brake longer) than the E60 550i on a straight track and in the twisties. Otherwise all this talk about the weight being a Huge detriment is purely subjective.

I mean I do agree that increased weight in general is not a good thing but as it relates to the 550i, it's not as bad of a factor as many of you think it is. On the plus side, the car feels much more solid, refined, and comfortable than any of my previous 5 series that I've owned.

As for the 2012 A6, who knows what the final production car will look like. But I'd be willing to bet that the F10 550i will still have better performance numbers.
The hard numbers ought indeed to favor the F10. Trouble is you can't compare the E60 and F10 in that way as they are to all intents and purposes very different cars with very different engines. The question people here are asking is whether the F10 is as good as it could be. The significant weight increase tells you that it most probably is not.

I will, however, guarantee you one thing. If you were to take that 400 to 500 lbs in mass out of your car, it would be quicker, more agile and brake in shorter distances than your car does today. That, simply put, is why the significant weight increases are a disappointment.

The point being made is the 550 is less than it could have been if BMW had made weight reduction an important development goal - no one, not even the best chassis engineers, can make the impact of 400 to 500 lbs completely go away.

As for the 2010 A6, who knows? I suspect the high end model will be broadly as capable as the 550. Particularly if Audi do keep the weight under control.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well then this all goes back to the fundamental question: Who is the F10 for?

If you're a sports enthusiast obssessed with spec and track numbers and want an aggressive car, the F10 isn't for you. The car is what it is. It's no use whining about it or debating about what if's or could have's. If you don't like it, move on and get something else.

But if you're like me and just want a car that's fast, luxurious, stylish, refined, and comfortable, the F10 fits the bill perfectly.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Well then this all goes back to the fundamental question: Who is the F10 for?

If you're a sports enthusiast obssessed with spec and track numbers and want an aggressive car, the F10 isn't for you. The car is what it is. It's no use whining about it or debating about what if's or could have's. If you don't like it, move on and get something else.

But if you're like me and just want a car that's fast, luxurious, stylish, refined, and comfortable, the F10 fits the bill perfectly.
The Problem is that most member's here are long time BMW and/or 5 series drivers, so it's a bit of a shock to see the changes made to their beloved brand/line. I mean, even you jumped the Acura ship after being dissatisfied with the new changes made. Some members here are having a hard time wanting to stay loyal to the brand/model, as much as they most likely want to. We will all find flaws in models and areas needed for improvement. So there will always be something to whine about. No one is attacking f10 owners here, flaming them, or discrediting their purchase, merely stating opinion on what's currently known about the new model.

Fast, luxurious, stylish, refined, and comfortable is again subjective and open for interpretation....in the end, as long as you are happy with your purchase, that's all that counts....
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Also, just want to add that if you're hesistant to get a new car simply because it weighs more than the old one, you might be waiting a long time.

The truth is that nowdays, in vast majority of cases, new cars will weigh more simply because most consumers want more....more power, more room, more features, more luxury, more safety.....that all calls for a car that's bigger and heavier than the old one. Of course there are some exceptions but that usually applies to sports cars which occupy a very small niche in overall sales.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
The Problem is that most member's here are long time BMW and/or 5 series drivers, so it's a bit of a shock to see the changes made to their beloved brand/line. I mean, even you jumped the Acura ship after being dissatisfied with the new changes made. Some members here are having a hard time wanting to stay loyal to the brand/model, as much as they most likely want to. We will all find flaws in models and areas needed for improvement. So there will always be something to whine about. No one is attacking f10 owners here, flaming them, or discrediting their purchase, merely stating opinion on what's currently known about the new model.

Fast, luxurious, stylish, refined, and comfortable is again subjective and open for interpretation....in the end, as long as you are happy with your purchase, that's all that counts....

I jumped ship from Acura not because I disliked the changes made to the TL....otherwise, why would I have bought the TL in the first place? I jumped ship because I simply fell in love with the F10.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

I jumped ship from Acura not because I disliked the changes made to the TL....otherwise, why would I have bought the TL in the first place? I jumped ship because I simply fell in love with the F10.
and it looks like members here will be buying/keeping their e60's for a bit longer......
Old 07-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
and it looks like members here will be buying/keeping their e60's for a bit longer......

Good for them..

Honestly, a part of me wants the F10 to not be as popular as the E60. I like it that my car is unique and different and stands out from the crowd. I see so many E60's every day, whenever I see one now, it gets me excited as seeing a Honda Accord....as bad it is to say but that's the truth.....the E60, as great a car as it is, is just too dated-looking these days. Just on my block alone, there are 2 other 5 series and 2 3 series.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Good for them..

Honestly, a part of me wants the F10 to not be as popular as the E60. I like it that my car is unique and different and stands out from the crowd. I see so many E60's every day, whenever I see one now, it gets me excited as seeing a Honda Accord....as bad it is to say but that's the truth.....the E60, as great a car as it is, is just too dated-looking these days. Just on my block alone, there are 2 other 5 series and 2 3 series.
The counter point of course is that the F10 is arguably too homogenized with its siblings. As soon as the production styling was released it was clear BMW was adopting a one sausage in three lengths approach. At a glance you can mistake an F10 with an F01. The upcoming 3 series replacement won't help in this regard. You may feel the E60 is dated, others (including me) may feel it still stands out and is aging gracefully - but you never mistook an E60 for a three or a seven... With the F10, that's no longer true.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator

Good for them..

give it a few years, when more used/cpo'd f10's hit the lots...you'll be seeing more of them around....I like my "accord" and other "accords" still turn my head when I see them on the road....

happy motoring...
Old 07-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by swajames
The counter point of course is that the F10 is arguably too homogenized with its siblings. As soon as the production styling was released it was clear BMW was adopting a one sausage in three lengths approach. At a glance you can mistake an F10 with an F01. The upcoming 3 series replacement won't help in this regard. You may feel the E60 is dated, others (including me) may feel it still stands out and is aging gracefully - but you never mistook an E60 for a three or a seven... With the F10, that's no longer true.
Well of course you won't mistake the E60 for a 3 or a 7.....the E60 design is almost 8 years old! While BMW updated the designs on the 3 and 7 during the last 8 years, the basic design on the 5 has virtually remained the same. Whether you think that's good or bad is entirely one's own opinion but to me, in the automotive world terms, it's a fossil.

Quick Reply: Weight