F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Performance complaints by motoring mags

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by pharding
In the US, the F10 550i has been dunbed down as a SPORTS SEDAN in terms of suspension, steering, seats, steering wheel, in comparison to the E60. The E60 was less luxurious, but clearly more fun to drive.
thanx for your continued honesty and frankness regarding your F10...while I know there are aspects you like, I am glad you can speak about aspects you do not like and continue to share both with members here
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

So, pharding, I mean no disrepect, but you spend $80K+ on a car and you don't like the suspension, steering, seats and steering wheel, and you think it's less to fun to drive than an E60.

....What am I missing here?
Old 10-19-2010, 06:47 AM
Members

the f10 is much better than the e60.
firstly in europe they didnt bring out a 535i e60 so over here the new f10 is a huge improvement
the f10 has superior fuel economy, only about 2 mpg better, but for a heavy, more luxurious car that is a triumph
now the performance story... the e60 535i is lighter and faster but by a lot? no... all these test by inside line, c&d, etc are absolutely pointless, they give you an idea of the performance but cannot be trusted as there are a million different factors that can affect the run (weather, driver, test car, incline, the way the car is set up, etc). bmw themselves have tested the car in its basic form (ie without dynamic drive control, adaptive drive, etc) and they got the 535i f10 to get to 100kph (62mph) in 6 seconds. the e90 335i can do 0-100 in about 5.6 seconds so how can an e60 be faster? there are many options that can make the car faster than the basic spec so im confident that a f10 535i can get around a 5.6 sec 0-100 time. there should be no reason to complain about the f10's performance.
about driving dynamics i can see a problem... the f10 is definitely more comfortable than the e60 but less sharp, due to electric steering and the extra weight BUT for enthusiastic drivers the dynamic drive control transforms the car into a sports car. the f10 is also much more comfortable, better looking IMO and is pretty much as fast. Why are people calling this car a failure?? its the perfect comprimise between driving dynamics and comfort!
kthxbai
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Petes550i
So, pharding, I mean no disrepect, but you spend $80K+ on a car and you don't like the suspension, steering, seats and steering wheel, and you think it's less to fun to drive than an E60.

....What am I missing here?
As I recall from an earlier thread, Paul ordered his car before there were examples here in the states to test drive. Having owned a string of previous 5 series cars he placed his faith in the brand...
Old 10-19-2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by kscarrol
As I recall from an earlier thread, Paul ordered his car before there were examples here in the states to test drive. Having owned a string of previous 5 series cars he placed his faith in the brand...

He must be a true believer to fork over $80K to buy something site unseen.....talk about brand loyalty!

I guess I'm in the minority.....I have to totally love something to fork over that much money.

Hell, I won't even fork over $5 for a sandwich unless I totally love it!
Old 10-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Banned

The F10 rules its segment as always and is one step ahead of the E60.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:07 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
The F10 rules its segment as always and is one step ahead of the E60.

...and He has spoken.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

People getting too defensive over their choice of car... who cares, it's a car and it'll get old and outdated in a few years.... Enjoy it for what it is.

Simple.

My question the past months has been..... Where are the nice rims that the F10 can use? The ones I see are.. uh... boring.. and a bit small...

Where are the ones like the 166's or the 172's? Where are the rims that can make the F10 a real looker? I don't see any from BMW yet.....
Old 10-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Contributors

He must be a true believer to fork over $80K to buy something site unseen.....talk about brand loyalty!

I guess I'm in the minority.....I have to totally love something to fork over that much money.

I think you may find a significant if not majority percentage of bmw enthusiasts do buy new bmws based on what can be construed as brand loyality or "trust". This is why we say what we do about this F10, because unlike any model in my lifetime that has come before it, it is now questionable as to whether it actually performs better than its predecessor. And this statement alone is ultimately trouble for BMW, whether one wants to acknowledge it or not. I owned 3 preowned BMWs growing up that brought me to love the brand. When I purchased my last 3 bmws, including my current fully loaded M6 which cost in excess of $120K, I had never driven one, so I guess I bought her just as pharding did. It was my trust in the brand over a lifetime of exceed expectations that allowed me to do so. But, I can say with 100% certainty that I cannot ever do this again with the new direction of bmws. I am not interested in cars that are a compromise of sportiness for luxury. Maybe many will do so, but I also think many will not, and look for other options, perhaps still with bmw, like so many former e60 owners switching to e90 M3s, or others that say f* bmw, for luxury MB has it perfected, or if sportiness in a 4door is desired, perhaps a P-car is better suited. BMW made its name as a sport sedan/coupe/gt company not as a luxury company. I don't think they can win the lux battle, and as they've given in to sport, who knows where it leaves them....
Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is quite telling and no surprise-explains why your so defensive about your car-You are so cheap that for even the thought to cross your mind that something else was out there better for the money or your purchase was not worth "every" penny you spent'surely bothers you to know end. So keep going overboard and getting defensive--that just keeps telling and telling

Quick Reply: Performance complaints by motoring mags