F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Performance complaints by motoring mags

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 08:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 BMW 535i Titanium Silver (F10)

I cannot believe how so many magazines and websites have slated the f10 because it happens to be slower than the e60
after doing some research i can conclude that yes the f10 is slower but by a small margin. the e60 535i's 0-60 was about 5.5 secs and the new f10 is roughly 5.8.
however there are no comparisons with the different drivetrain modes and the suspension settings available (eg Sport+ and Normal) and after driving the f10 for a few months now
(mainly in sport+ breaking the speed limit ) im sure there is more the f10 can offer.
Back to the main point, 0.3 seconds is nothing in the real world and driver skill could easily change the result in a 1 on 1 drag race. the 1/4 mile test shows the e60 to be 0.3 seconds faster and the f10 is only 0.3 mph slower on the slalom. This test might even have been conducted with the sport+ setting switched off... i think there is too much fuss especially by a few e60 'fanboys' , the new car has the sporting characteristics of the old car in a new luxurious, a cleaner (better consumption) and a more spacious package. There really should be more to celebrate about than complain right???
end of rant haha
Old 10-16-2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

C&D got 5.4 sec 0-60 for the F10 535i a while back. However, individual stats and numbers shouldn't be looked at too seriously, though.....there are just too many factors and variables that can result in different interpretations....weather, road condition, car condition, driver skill, different testing methods, etc.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

It is not about performance in a straight line, the subject is not as simple as a drag race. The complaints are mainly addressing the sporty feel of the car compared to its predecessor.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Banned

Just one simple fact: the sales of the F10 are increasing with an astonishing rate. I'm more than sure that the new F10 is at least one head above the E60. IN EVERYTHING! The only even match can be the E60 535i vs the new 535i. The rest is in favour of the F10 .
Old 10-18-2010, 12:10 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Shahid
I cannot believe how so many magazines and websites have slated the f10 because it happens to be slower than the e60
Would you pay thousands more $$$ for a new F10 M5 if it was SLIGHTLY slower than an E60 M5?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People its not about the pure number values, it is the fact relative to the outgoing product the e60, the brand new product the f10 performs WORSE than a 10 year old designed car. IMO you should be able to continue to outperform the product your are replacing in atleast, if not all, the important ways. Unfortunately the f10 does not improve on gas milage, performance, weight etc.

It does appear to have a nicer interior but I dont agree-I think the late e60s interior is as nice but will not argue a subjective thing like looks or interior

Why would people (and they do and are but shouldnt!) pay a premium price for a car with technology that cannot improve on a 10 year old design.

Talk about the e60 being ahead of its time ,so much so that it made the f10 very tough to beat it. The e60 drastically outperformed the outgoing e39 despite being bigger and heavier so that is no excuse. The AMG cars are big and heavy and outperform bmw in every way-that is one excuse but cannot be their excuse.

IMO people will catch up with this overtime-if a produt is just repackaged with a new exterior and a few new gadgets, people will start to realize this-the performance improvements have to be there.

Think of any product on the market, it is insane to think one would purchase a new model that has worse performance
-computers
-TV-s
-Droid/hand helds

I mean cars cannot go agains the norm for long. The new styl eis a resurgence of "old school" bmw fans who liked the cars pre-bangle-but those people will get their cars in this next year or two, and then the buying will again flatten since the surge of buyers who were waiting for this older style are done buying--then the regular people who look for bmw for a driving experience will start to realize the car is worse in every way then a 10 year old model..

my .02 anyay
Old 10-18-2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by Diamond
People its not about the pure number values, it is the fact relative to the outgoing product the e60, the brand new product the f10 performs WORSE than a 10 year old designed car. IMO you should be able to continue to outperform the product your are replacing in atleast, if not all, the important ways. Unfortunately the f10 does not improve on gas milage, performance, weight etc.

It does appear to have a nicer interior but I dont agree-I think the late e60s interior is as nice but will not argue a subjective thing like looks or interior

Why would people (and they do and are but shouldnt!) pay a premium price for a car with technology that cannot improve on a 10 year old design.

Talk about the e60 being ahead of its time ,so much so that it made the f10 very tough to beat it. The e60 drastically outperformed the outgoing e39 despite being bigger and heavier so that is no excuse. The AMG cars are big and heavy and outperform bmw in every way-that is one excuse but cannot be their excuse.

IMO people will catch up with this overtime-if a produt is just repackaged with a new exterior and a few new gadgets, people will start to realize this-the performance improvements have to be there.

Think of any product on the market, it is insane to think one would purchase a new model that has worse performance
-computers
-TV-s
-Droid/hand helds

I mean cars cannot go agains the norm for long. The new styl eis a resurgence of "old school" bmw fans who liked the cars pre-bangle-but those people will get their cars in this next year or two, and then the buying will again flatten since the surge of buyers who were waiting for this older style are done buying--then the regular people who look for bmw for a driving experience will start to realize the car is worse in every way then a 10 year old model..

my .02 anyay
What are you talking about?! How is it that the F10 is not improved? It is safer, more solid, more comfortable, much more luxurious, and offers more amenities than the E60. I will not go into a debate about styling since that's purely SUBJECTIVE. In my opinion, the F10 is a very handsome but understated design that recalls the earlier pre-bangle 5 series.

As far as performance, it has been established (by C&D) that the F10 550i beats the E60 550i in straight-line performance. Fuel economy is also improved in the F10 550i. The F10 535i's performance is roughly equal to its E60 counterpart. You have to remember though that these tests are influenced by all kinds of factors.....weather, road conditions, car conditions, driver skill, testing methods, etc....so to read too much into numbers alone is foolish.

Your expectations about cars today are way off. You have to remember that the vast majority of cars nowdays are bigger, larger and heavier than their previous generation.....why?....because of higher safety regulations and also due to consumer demand....people WANT larger and roomier cars nowdays, along with more features and luxury. You're not going to see cars nowdays whose performance are leaps and bounds better than the previous generation.....not going to happen. I will bet you anything that the next generation M3 (or even the M5) will not be significantly faster than the current generation. According to magazines, lots of new cars nowdays are actually slower or about equal in performance to the previous generation. Tighter fuel regulations in the near future will ensure this will be the case for a long time to come.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant compare subjective thins like "more solid" or "luxurious" etc etc-I dont agree.

Cant argue wtih virtually EVERY magazine showing the e60 beats the f10 in performance. One straight line test ok. Gas milage is neglible difference.

F10-lose

glad you think its more luxuriuos though--great!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
Cant argue wtih virtually EVERY magazine showing the e60 beats the f10 in performance.
So name "EVERY" magazine.
Show me the links.

you = liar

Old 10-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

"According to magazines, lots of new cars nowdays are actually slower or about equal in performance to the previous generation."

Links please...

Quick Reply: Performance complaints by motoring mags