F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Originally Posted by pjinca
The new turbo I6's are a big improvement IF they have resolved the HPFP issues.
I believe the improvement is there, compare to the E60 N54, but it will be much attractive if they can bump up the HP same as the 335is. I think more people will jump on it, because the HP gain will consider a major upgrade.
Just like the first two years of the E60, since it's a major cosmetic upgrade from E39, they left the engine alone, people still go for it because of the appearance, and careless on the HP.
Not in this case with the F10, the style is actually going back to conservative with 528, 535 that offer the same HP like the previous one. It just not as attractive for me, my 2 cents.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
actually, IMO the 5 series line is considered to be their flagship model which should bridge the gap between luxury and sports sedan.
I feel the same way
Old 07-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by peter griffin
I feel the same way

Well you guys may feel that way but BMW doesn't. Just because a model has sold in large numbers doesn't make it a flagship. If you ask the 3 series guys, I'd bet some of them think of the 3 series as a flagship. A flagship is a car model that represents the very best in engineering and technology from the automaker, irregardless of volume. And that usually goes to the most expensive model in the lineup--the 7 series.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
as stated before, the f10 might grow on you it might not, either way...it comes down to personal preference, it's pointless to argue something so subjective as that....
Totally agree Gene! We might as well be debating colors...

As usual, folks will speak with their wallets and sales will determine the F10's legacy. The fact that I have seen stories that F10 production through the end of 2010 is sold out tells me the car is selling well. As I have said repeatedly, it is a great car, just chasing a slightly different target audience than the E60.
Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol
it is a great car, just chasing a slightly different target audience than the E60.
Indeed
Old 07-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well you guys may feel that way but BMW doesn't. Just because a model has sold in large numbers doesn't make it a flagship. If you ask the 3 series guys, I'd bet some of them think of the 3 series as a flagship. A flagship is a car model that represents the very best in engineering and technology from the automaker, irregardless of volume. And that usually goes to the most expensive model in the lineup--the 7 series.
so the flagship is the most unattainable model line in the group, according to your definition that is. And we've all stated the the tech in the 5 is the same as the 7...so what are we debating about here?

Pete, I may have missed it somewhere, but was your previous car an e60? Like others have said the e60 and f10 are different in looks, tech, and suspension/handling/performance, but different does not have a negative connotation to some, including myself....

the differences for some are just too much to accept right now for some...
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Contributors

He did Gene. And I understand his defensive replies, been there done that back in 2004 on Roadfly! Unfortunately things like the ride and how the car feels, including the steering, are just as subjective as paint color. There are no objective measurements like acceleration times, you either like it or you don't. At the end of the day, as long as the F10 owners are happy with their cars, that is all that should matter to them. I know that's all I cared about in January 2004 when I took delivery of my 545!
Old 07-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by kscarrol
He did Gene. And I understand his defensive replies, been there done that back in 2004 on Roadfly! Unfortunately things like the ride and how the car feels, including the steering, are just as subjective as paint color. There are no objective measurements like acceleration times, you either like it or you don't. At the end of the day, as long as the F10 owners are happy with their cars, that is all that should matter to them. I know that's all I cared about in January 2004 when I took delivery of my 545!
exactly...

Old 07-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '04 545i '02 SC430 '04 RX330

ride and steering are definitely not as subjective as paint color. There is good steering feel and bad steering feel. Bad steering may feel numb or have a lot of free play off-center. good steering is precise and give better feedback. There is a distinction between good and bad and the E60's steering feel is definitely better than the F10's. As with ride, good ride for a sports sedan is firm but not harsh and should absorb bumps well. Bad suspension can be too soft with too much body lean, or too harsh and bouncy over bumps.

also, adding 300-400 pounds to a car will make it handle worse. it's black and white. you can add more power or use better suspension to mask the weight gain, but it is still a step in the wrong direction.

these attributes cannot be measured with numbers, but there is definitely a distinction between good and bad. these characteristics also significantly affect the how a car drives and how much confidence a driver can have in his car. color, on the other hand, has zero affect on these attributes so they are not the same.

BMW claims to be the "ultimate driving machine" not because of it's acceleration times and cornering speeds. it has always been about the driving experience and the connection between driver and car.

sure, they may sell for F10's than E60's and people may learn to like the looks. however, better sales numbers does not mean a better car. otherwise, the camry is the best car in the US, bar none.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by xenonrider
these attributes cannot be measured with numbers, but there is definitely a distinction between good and bad. these characteristics also significantly affect the how a car drives and how much confidence a driver can have in his car. color, on the other hand, has zero affect on these attributes so they are not the same.
I did not say, nor mean to imply that there is not a distinction between good and bad. But it is subjective. All you have to do is look at the debate when Active Steering was first introduced on the E60. I did not like the feel of it and did not get it on either my 545 or 550. Many loved it wouldn't get a car without it. That is subjective and without a way to measure it and compare to others, it will ways be subjective.

Quick Reply: Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this