F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Diamond
This may well be the most idiotic comment I have read on these boards in a long long time. Clearly people who dont like the f10 are the poeple who dont own one. Why would someone own one who hates it? And equally true someone who bought and F10 obviosly likes them or they would not have bought one.

Your point makes no sense-This is not 8 years down the road-this is months after the F10 came out so its not like we are all a bunch of people stuck in e60 world and cant afford an f10 so are bashing it. Many just bought an e60 with a price tag as much or more than the f10, i have had mine 3 years and its nothing about affording an f10-its the fact those who liked the e60 styling a lot-probably will not embrace the f10 because it has zero similarities in aggressiveness or uniqueness.

Its not rocket science here-those that have one like them, thos that dont-probably dont have one for a reason-they dont like them! crazy!
Oops looks like I touched a raw nerve there....chill out man, no need to get so worked up.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alpal78
Oops looks like I touched a raw nerve there....chill out man, no need to get so worked up.
He's making his point, just as you did. Don't act like an ingenue and not expect any degree of a reaction.

I have some reservations about the f10 but fully expect to own one sometime down the line during this model run.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Members

Right now for most of us purgatory ain't a bad place to be !
Old 07-21-2010, 10:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Overall, I'm sad about the direction BMW is heading. Their model lineup is getting more conservative across the board. Cars are becoming more luxurious and less sporty and despite loving the M series, every new model that comes out is becoming less of a driver's car and more of a "just the fastest and top of the line" car.

Still, I would love to own an E60 M5 or E92 M3 but from the E30 > E36 > E46 > E90/92 M3s, it's tough to argue against the fact that these are getting less driver/track oriented and more "for the masses" so to speak. I guess all cars are heading in-line with technological advances and to the goal where cars drive themselves so it seems this process is inevitable unless you pawn out $$$$$ to get an exotic.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

I don't know much about the F10, and didn't care much but I can surely said that, bluetooth, Idrive and HUD are some of the technology improvements from E39 t E60.
Body style from Joji Nagashima's more conservative looks to Chris Bangle's futuristic styling, that's another big jump.
I really can't figure out what significant improvement have the F10 done?
Old 07-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by peter griffin
I don't know much about the F10, and didn't care much but I can surely said that, bluetooth, Idrive and HUD are some of the technology improvements from E39 t E60.
Body style from Joji Nagashima's more conservative looks to Chris Bangle's futuristic styling, that's another big jump.
I really can't figure out what significant improvement have the F10 done?
As far as the F10 design, it's not revolutionary but evolutionary. In the times we live in these days, very few automakers are going to be daring and go for broke. The ones that do like Acura with their latest TL, it has backfired big time as their sales have plummeted significantly. As far as engineering, the F10 is quite a step up from the E60. Chassis rigidity is significantly improved as the car feels much more solid and stable than the E60. Suspension design and hardware is also completely different than in the E60. The F10 now shares many of the same features and amenities as the 7 series such as Nightvision, active cruise control, parking assistant, ambient lighting, etc.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 550i jet black, Loaded
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N62B48

Petes550i, I totally agree with you about the suspension, chassis, since it's sitting on a different platform. Seeing you have the 550i with the dynamic handling, you must notice the different. But I think other than that, Night vision, active cruise and other electronic gadgets were available options for the E60, nothing new been presented to the F10, and that just killed it for me
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Petes550i, I totally agree with you about the suspension, chassis, since it's sitting on a different platform. Seeing you have the 550i with the dynamic handling, you must notice the different. But I think other than that, Night vision, active cruise and other electronic gadgets were available options for the E60, nothing new been presented to the F10, and that just killed it for me
Well, there's also the full range of new engines to choose from (obviously Europe has more choices). The new turbo I6's are a big improvement IF they have resolved the HPFP issues. Also, the new TT V-8 is just, well, sexy as hell. Both have the potential to be major improvements over their predecessors - we will have to see how they are as daily drivers. Which is the biggest reason why i never buy the first model year of any car after a redesign so drastic.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well how "revolutionary" were you expecting the F10 to be? Did you expect something like the Batmobile and have machine guns coming out the sides? Seriously, though, people are forgetting that the 5 series is just the middle model in the entire lineup. It's not the flagship so it's not going to have something exotic that's going to upstage the 7 series or even the 6 series. There's more than enough gadgets right now...maybe even too much for most people...and it's really getting expensive. To me, the F10 is the perfect car for those that want most of the goodies and amenities of the 7 series, with better performance in a smaller package and a smaller price tag.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well how "revolutionary" were you expecting the F10 to be? Did you expect something like the Batmobile and have machine guns coming out the sides? Seriously, though, people are forgetting that the 5 series is just the middle model in the entire lineup. It's not the flagship so it's not going to have something exotic that's going to upstage the 7 series or even the 6 series. There's more than enough gadgets right now...maybe even too much for most people...and it's really getting expensive. To me, the F10 is the perfect car for those that want most of the goodies and amenities of the 7 series, with better performance in a smaller package and a smaller price tag.
actually, IMO the 5 series line is considered to be their flagship model which should bridge the gap between luxury and sports sedan. Unfortunately various reports have consistently said that the f10 is more luxury than sport, which as to some e60/BMW owners is blasphemous. A recent article in the NY times (IIRC) referred t o the f10 as a scaled down 7 series more than an upgraded 3 series. I think most e60 owners and f10 stone throwers would prefer the latter. I for one don't mind a down scaled 7 series.

as stated before, the f10 might grow on you it might not, either way...it comes down to personal preference, it's pointless to argue something so subjective as that....

Quick Reply: Not feeling the F10-never thought I would say this