F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 10:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shebs
If you check the Autozeitung Site site, you will see that all of these lap times are correct. They were all taken at autozeitung test track. The same applies for the Hockenheim short for Sport Auto magazine.

Therefore the positions are roughly correct. If there will be a variation, it would by few postions due to new track times not included in the fastest laps site.
The lap times are correct as taken from the 2 links below.

I was checking fastestlaps.com and came up with the only two tracks that had both the F10 and E60:

1. Autozeitung Test Track.

2. Hockenheim Short.
But you are missing the point. The lap times are from any member of the public who post their lap times. For autozeitung test track, any tom, dick and harry can post their time at http://www.fastestlaps.com/addcar.html

For Hockenheim Short, likewise at http://www.fastestlaps.com/addcar.html

Go to your webpage for each of your 2 links above and check the bottom.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 AM
Members

"Not driven to its limit by another driver" . I won't comment.

Anja Wassertheurer is the editor of both articles. Please check the bottom of both articles.

The 535d test was done in April 2010 and the 535i test was done in June 2010. I can not confirm from the articles whether the exact same driver has driven both cars. But due to the short time difference between the two tests (2 months), it could very well be the same driver.

These lap times are taken after extensive testing, it is not a one lap thing.

In general, claiming that a lap time is irrelevant just because conditions are different, would just eleminate the validity of all the lap times in the world including the Nurburgring and all magazines or tv shows watched.
It's not just which driver for your 2 laps in your first post, but your assumption that one can compare using different engines is erroneous. One can't just use the 0 to 100 kph and 0 to 160 kph times and say the 2 different engines on 2 different cars can be compared, as the track is not a straight road.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bm323
Where was the following information obtained : "The E60 530i has scored the 138th position with 1:46.2 while the F10 530d has been timed at 181st position with 1:48.1 s."? Aren't they from the links mentioned above and which was posted by different drivers and the list compiled over years?

For your first link above, see http://www.fastestlaps.com/addcar.html found at the bottom of your link

For your second link above, see http://www.fastestlaps.com/track7.html found at the bottom of your link
also http://www.fastestlaps.com/addlaptime.html for top link

and http://www.fastestlaps.com/addlaptime.html for bottom link

Old 07-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I understand your point about fastestlaps.com, and I know that anyone can add laptimes there. But I was using this site as a compilation of lap times to be easier to the forum members to check the different lap times by referring to the position than going and checking the German sites. I did not mean to say that the position on the list meant anything if that is your concern.

Please diregard the fastestlaps.com times (that is just for you since you don't trust them although I confirmed that they are all correct) and check the following link for Sport Auto lap times. You will find them identical to fastestlaps.com.

Sport Auto Hockenheim Short Lap Times

Please see the below tables regarding the Autozeitung tests.

E60 530i Autozeitung Test
BMW E60 530i Driving Dynamics
Handling 89/150
Slalom 74/100
Steering 89/100
Straight 37/50
Brake dosage 21/25
cold stopping distance 102/150
Stopping distance warm 94/150
Traction 38/100
Driving Safety 122/150
Tropic 10/25
Total 676/1000

F10 530d Autozeitung Test
BMW F10 530d Driving Dynamics
Handling 82/150
Slalom 62/100
Steering 91/100
Straight 43/50
Brake dosage 21/25
cold stopping distance 76/150
Stopping distance warm 90/150
Traction 41/100
Driving Safety 125/150
Tropic 9/25
Total 640/1000

The straight line acceleration and driving safety of the F10 is better, while all the other handling factors are in favor of the E60 (even the braking distances!).

Do you think that Autozeitung and Sport Auto have any motives to conclude that the E60 is dynamically better than the F10?
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 PM
Members

I understand your point about fastestlaps.com, and I know that anyone can add laptimes there. But I was using this site as a compilation of lap times to be easier to the forum members to check the different lap times by referring to the position than going and checking the German sites. I did not mean to say that the position on the list meant anything if that is your concern.Please diregard the fastestlaps.com times (that is just for you since you don't trust them although I confirmed that they are all correct) and check the following link for Sport Auto lap times. You will find them identical to fastestlaps.com.
Well, if you agree that the fastestlaps.com times are inserted by anyone ie different drivers over a period of years, and fastestlaps.com times are identical to Sport Auto lap times, this would have to mean that the latter must have taken from the former, and such lap times are of no value for comparison of the 2 cars.

Please see the below tables regarding the Autozeitung tests.

E60 530i Autozeitung Test
BMW E60 530i Driving Dynamics
Handling 89/150
Slalom 74/100
Steering 89/100
Straight 37/50
Brake dosage 21/25
cold stopping distance 102/150
Stopping distance warm 94/150
Traction 38/100
Driving Safety 122/150
Tropic 10/25
Total 676/1000

F10 530d Autozeitung Test
BMW F10 530d Driving Dynamics
Handling 82/150
Slalom 62/100
Steering 91/100
Straight 43/50
Brake dosage 21/25
cold stopping distance 76/150
Stopping distance warm 90/150
Traction 41/100
Driving Safety 125/150
Tropic 9/25
Total 640/1000
Do you think that Autozeitung and Sport Auto have any motives to conclude that the E60 is dynamically better than the F10?
Are the points given above given by the same driver testing the 2 cars back to back? And even if they were, from the automags, there are many more positive than negative reviews. These different opinion are subjective, and the analysis upon which this thread is based, is subjective.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by bm323
Well, if you agree that the fastestlaps.com times are inserted by anyone ie different drivers over a period of years, and fastestlaps.com times are identical to Sport Auto lap times, this would have to mean that the latter must have taken from the former, and such lap times are of no value for comparison of the 2 cars.

Are the points given above given by the same driver testing the 2 cars back to back? And even if they were, from the automags, there are many more positive than negative reviews. These different opinion are subjective, and the analysis upon which this thread is based, is subjective.
The fastestlaps.com times are taken from the Sport Auto Magazine, not the other way around. I can't believe that you did not see the column that specifies the tester!

What you claim in your post above is completely wrong: "This would have to mean that the latter must have taken from the former". It is the other way around. Sport Auto tests the cars on daily basis on Hockecnheim Short and post the results in their monthly issue.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 AM
Members

The fastestlaps.com times are taken from the Sport Auto Magazine, not the other way around. I can't believe that you did not see the column that specifies the tester!What you claim in your post above is completely wrong: "This would have to mean that the latter must have taken from the former". It is the other way around. Sport Auto tests the cars on daily basis on Hockecnheim Short and post the results in their monthly issue.
Ok, I stand corrected So would it be correct to say that for Hockenheim http://www.fastestlaps.com/track7.html most of the drivers who posted the lap times are from sportauto and which drivers are different, with lap times as far back as 1993 (including the E60 for years) and your analysis is based on the F10's lap time which could have been recorded only the past, say 2 months?!

And following your analysis, 59.BMW M3 CSL (E46) is sportier, stabler, and handles better than eg
63.Porsche 997 Carrera S (factory kit 381 PS)
66.Porsche Cayman S(facelift) PDK

76.BMW M3 (E92) DKG

78.BMW M3 (E92)

104.Mercedes C 63 AMG

114.Porsche Cayman S

133.Porsche 997 Carrera (2008 facelift)
etc?

And likewise, any car positioned higher for the Autozeitung test track http://www.fastestla...om/track24.html is sportier, stabler, and handles better?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 AM
Members

ps and you've not replied to "Are the points given above given by the same driver testing the 2 cars back to back? And even if they were, from the automags, there are many more positive than negative reviews. These different opinion are subjective, and the analysis upon which this thread is based, is subjective."

Does it mean that you are the one who is wrong?
Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

bm323, I am struggling to see where you are going with this. Shebs' data is perfectly legitimate, the fastest laps website simply organizes test data by either car or by track so you can make a cross-comparison.

For any given car you can check the fastest recorded time around the tracks for which data is available or, alternatively, for any given track - such as the Nurburgring, Top Gear test track, Autozeitung test track etc - you can view the fastest recorded laps in order. It should not be a surprise to you that on the Sport Auto track or the Autozeitung track that all times are recorded by the magazines - it is their track... It is the same with the Top Gear track - virtually every time is attributed to The Stig. Shebs' data is simply the fastest lap for the cars in question for the tracks in question.

You may not like the outcomes, but the data is what it is. Shebs' point is simply that the test data indicates that the E60 and F10 are broadly comparable in their track numbers for those given tracks. You can argue different days, different drivers, but the data remains broadly valid as the best recorded time for the car for the track in question. As always one can do one's own due diligence on the data, but the bottom line is that there's no reason for you to keep shooting the messenger - and you might be better served by trying to understand the message that is being conveyed before you do...
Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames
bm323, I am struggling to see where you are going with this. Shebs' data is perfectly legitimate, the fastest laps website simply organizes test data by either car or by track so you can make a cross-comparison.For any given car you can check the fastest recorded time around the tracks for which data is available or, alternatively, for any given track - such as the Nurburgring, Top Gear test track, Autozeitung test track etc - you can view the fastest recorded laps in order. It should not be a surprise to you that on the Sport Auto track or the Autozeitung track that all times are recorded by the magazines - it is their track... It is the same with the Top Gear track - virtually every time is attributed to The Stig. Shebs' data is simply the fastest lap for the cars in question for the tracks in question. You may not like the outcomes, but the data is what it is. Shebs' point is simply that the test data indicates that the E60 and F10 are broadly comparable in their track numbers for those given tracks. You can argue different days, different drivers, but the data remains broadly valid as the best recorded time for the car for the track in question. The bottom line is that there's no reason for you to keep shooting the messenger - and you might be better served by trying to understand the message that is being conveyed before you do...
Swajames, there is no "shooting the messenger", there is a debate to show that the so called objective analysis is actually not so at all you can consider the questions in post #27 and I would welcome your response

Quick Reply: Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60