F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I was checking fastestlaps.com and came up with the only two tracks that had both the F10 and E60:

1. Autozeitung Test Track.

2. Hockenheim Short.

In the first track their is the F10 530d vs. the E60 530i. Both have the same 0-100 kph of 6.3 seconds. Both also have very close 0-160 kph figures as shown on fastestlaps.com (14.0 s vs 13.9 s). The E60 530i has scored the 138th position with 1:46.2 while the F10 530d has been timed at 181st position with 1:48.1 s.

The second track has the F10 535i vs. the E60 535d. Both have the same lap time of 1:19.6 and both are automatic gearboxes. Considering the better 0-100 kph of the F10 535i of 6.1 s to the 6.3 s of the E60 535d and with both having the same 0-160 kph at 14.2 s, and very close 0-180 kph (18.6 to 18.4), we should expect the F10 to have better lap time.

F10 535i Sport Auto Test.

E60 535d Sport Auto Test.

Choose the Hockenheim tab on the upper box and Fahrwerte tab on the lower box. Please use the google translate feature if you don't understand german.

Both ended up with the same exact lap time, and I will leave you to comment on this fact.

Although the F10 has better gearbox (8 speeds compared to 6 speeds with lower shift times), stiffer chassis, double wishbone suspension the E60 still manages to do the same laptime on the second track and a better laptime on the first track with its lower acceleration and lower ability to achieve top speed.

From my point of view, I think that the extra weight and more luxurious setup of the F10 is the reason for its underwhelming performance on track. Nevertheless it is still a very good car.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thank you for sharing
Old 07-27-2010, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Wow this is an awesome comparison. thanks.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Members

I've always wondered about the e60 vs the f10's performance on the track. Very interesting and great to see that the e60 more than holds its own against the f10 (at least in these instances).

Might as well get it out of the way now: did the f10 have the dynamic handling package and/or the sport package?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

What about the 550i?

Anyways, here's my take on the results: despite being larger and heavier than the E60 and having pretty much the same hp/torque output, the F10 535i performs nearly identically to the E60 535i while at the same time, being more luxurious and refined. Usually, when cars gets larger and heavier and engine output remains the same, performance suffers, but in this case, it's nice to see that the 5 series hasn't lost any of its performance characterisitcs in the transformation from the E60 to the F10. (at least in the 535i anyways).
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Petes550i
What about the 550i?

Anyways, here's my take on the results: despite being larger and heavier than the E60 and having pretty much the same hp/torque output, the F10 535i performs nearly identically to the E60 535i while at the same time, being more luxurious and refined. Usually, when cars gets larger and heavier and engine output remains the same, performance suffers, but in this case, it's nice to see that the 5 series hasn't lost any of its performance characterisitcs in the transformation from the E60 to the F10. (at least in the 535i anyways).
That's not the definitive conclusion here though. Until we compare apples to apples (f10 535i vs e60 535i), one can't say that both iterations of the 535i perform nearly identically. The second test shows that the 535d (diesel) came out with the same lap time roughly with the f10 535i around the track. Considering the diesel has to lug around that big block of iron residing under the hood (which may or may not affect the handling characteristics of the car but definitely increase its weight), that's not exactly what I call progress, at least from a performance perspective.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

I am adding the translated links below of the Hockenheim Auto Sport Tests:

Translated F10 535i Auto Sport Test.

Translated E60 535d Auto Sport Test.

Looking at the Conclusion (Fazit) tab in the upper box, we see that the editor has given the F10 6/10 in the Fun (Fahrspaß) category while the E60 535d achieves 7/10.

Also looking at the Hockenheim tab, we see that the F10 535i cornering forces were in the range of 0.95 to 1.10 g across the 7 track corners, while the E60 535d achieved cornering forces in the range of 1.00 g to 1.10 g. The distribution of g forces across corners (from Querspange to Nordkurve)are as follows:

F10 535i: 0.95, 1.00, 0.95, 1.10, 1.00, 1.00, 1.05.
E60 535d: 1.05, 1.00, 1.05, 1.10, 1.05, 1.00, 1.05.

So the cornering stability is close but in favor of the E60 especially in the first and third corners (which coincedentally are the fast sweepers). The F10 performs almost the same as the E60 in the rest of tight corners.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fokker
I've always wondered about the e60 vs the f10's performance on the track. Very interesting and great to see that the e60 more than holds its own against the f10 (at least in these instances).

Might as well get it out of the way now: did the f10 have the dynamic handling package and/or the sport package?
Both of them were not equipped with adaptive drive or M supspension. Both cars were equipped with 18" wheels. The test say that the F10 535i was equipped with Intergral Active Steering and Dynamic Damping Control.

I think we are comparing apples to apples here in terms of suspension. The F10 535i also have the advantage of Dynamic Damping Control which was not invented when the E60 535d was being produced. Both cars have the option of adding Adaptive Drive (Dynamic Drive in the E60 case).
Old 07-27-2010, 11:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Fokker
That's not the definitive conclusion here though. Until we compare apples to apples (f10 535i vs e60 535i), one can't say that both iterations of the 535i perform nearly identically. The second test shows that the 535d (diesel) came out with the same lap time roughly with the f10 535i around the track. Considering the diesel has to lug around that big block of iron residing under the hood (which may or may not affect the handling characteristics of the car but definitely increase its weight), that's not exactly what I call progress, at least from a performance perspective.
Fokker, I tend to agree with you here. If the E60 535d has lower acceleration, a heavier nose, and some diesel lag characeristics and still manages to have better cornering forces and the same lap time, then a 535i E60 to F10 comparison would probably see the E60 as the winner.

Again, this doesn't mean that the F10 is not a great car. It is just a little bit laid back performance wise.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:43 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
Fokker, I tend to agree with you here. If the E60 535d has lower acceleration, a heavier nose, and some diesel lag characeristics and still manages to have better cornering forces and the same lap time, then a 535i E60 to F10 comparison would probably see the E60 as the winner.

Again, this doesn't mean that the F10 is not a great car. It is just a little bit laid back performance wise.
I agree. A shame that the f10's set up (at least, by these accounts) show a step backwards in dynamic capability. No question it's an easy going "boulevardier", as I experienced during my own test drive as well as based on the accounts given on the forum, however.

I think I'll go out on a limb and say that once the M5 comes out, it will do away with the electronic doodads that artificially enhance the driving experience of the f10 (ex., the electric steering, active dampers, etc.). At least, that's what I hope!

Quick Reply: Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60