F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 for Singaporeans

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: May 2005 BMW 523i

Hi can i check with you guys whether options can be added after the sales agreement has been signed. And if yes does PML charge a premium to change the options? Thanks
Old 04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bravojs
Hi can i check with you guys whether options can be added after the sales agreement has been signed. And if yes does PML charge a premium to change the options? Thanks
It depends. If you have been allocated an incoming unit from the March/April production, it may be too late, unless PML is willing to allocate you a slot in a later production month, for which the factory deadline for keying in the build details has not expired. You need to speak to your SE on whether PML would treat the variation as a new order (at the higher prevailing selling price) or an amendment to an existing order (which would not attract any penalty, other than the cost of the additional options). I hear different things from different SEs, so it would be best to confirm with yours.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:03 PM
Members

My Ride: May 2005 BMW 523i

thanks bimmernic
Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Members

My SE told me can change options provided PML has not sent the order for production. You will need to check with your SE.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Members

In Singapore, we starve ourselves to be able to own the 5 series. I am sure the average 5 series BMW buyer in Singapore earns more than S$250,000 / year. Most rely on financing to own the car. You can borrow up to 10 years. Very few 535i as the price is not affordable to most buyers. Car prices in Singapore are way above those in other countries especially USA and Canada. Government in Singapore wants to limit car population due to very limited land and road space.

Originally Posted by grover432
The question I have is how much does the average Singaporean earn in a year? Or at least the average BMW buyer? In the USA/Canada the average 5 series buyer might earn $250,000+ $USD/year. This vehicle (523i) in Singapore converts to about $150,000CAD. We can have a nicely equipped 535 for about $70,000CAD. So the question is; is the average salary more than double what one earns in Canada or the USA? If it is, then the car price is in line (relative to economics). If not, the import duties being charged result in a hosing for you!
Old 04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Members

That's why I am seriously thinking of migrating to Canada after reading your posting.

Originally Posted by grover432
OK, let's try this: The average after tax income in Canada for a family unit is about $100,000. The average home cost in Canada is about $333,000. How about in Singapore? I appreciate that the "average" income earner in Singapore wouldn't buy an F10, nor would one in Canada. I was just trying to determine if the car is the same cost relative to income in the two countries, or the government taxes the car so highly that only the wealthy elite can drive them? In Canada, if you earn $200,000/year with two kids and a wife that works part time you can have a nice house in a good area, a mini van and a well equipped F10 in the garage, while still saving for retirement and traveling with your family. A well equipped F10 (535i) will be in the $70,000 range which is about $97,000 SGD.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Members

Thanks for the pics.

Originally Posted by bimmernic
Kiasu King, here you go (from carenthusiast.com):

Attachment 103080

Attachment 103079

Attachment 103081

More here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361027

I too saw the trim in the white 7 series at PML Alexandra. It looked fantastic there and really gave the interior a sense of occasion. Oyster/Oyster may not be a good idea. Besides the tedium of keeping the oyster carpet clean, the dash colour is not black, somewhat between grey and taupe, while the steering is black. So, you get somewhat of a 3-tone interior.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Members

I don't think DDC is a must have in Singapore. I opted for the Integral Active Steering as my current E60 has active steering and I am loving it because it makes the car a lot easier to drive. I have driven an E60 without active steering (only servotronic) and the feeling is not what I like (may be because I am so used to active steering.). So, between DDC and IAS, my advice is to go for the IAS.

Originally Posted by bimmernic
Kiasu King, oZZo, yellowmountain and any other SG E60 owners, would appreciate your thoughts on the Dynamic Damper Control option (Code 223).

Initial reviews of the F10 have been on cars with this option installed and the feedback on the ride has been great. Autocar UK ( http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/...E-Auto/248585/ ), in testing the car fitted with the standard (non-adaptive suspension) were somewhat underwhelmed with the ride. On the other hand, Car Enthusiast ( http://www.carenthusiast.com/reviews...ic+saloon.html ) were more complimentary of the standard suspension, saying that it "rides beautifully, with a suppleness that takes most road nuances and hides them from you". The consensus from UK motoring journalists appears to be that the ride for the E60, especially on RFTs, can be a tad too firm, at least for UK road conditions.

Based on your experience as an owner, how would you rate the ride on the E60 with/without RFTs on SG road conditions? Would it be considered harsh for SG roads? Assuming that I do not intend to go beyond 18" for the F10 (and will probably switch to non-RFTs in due course), is the Dynamic Damper Control really a must have, given its cost of nearly $5k?

Many thanks.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Members

I managed to make changes to my option twice. It all depend on the production schedule.

Heard from my SE that the car will in the show room next week. You need to make appointment to view it. Test drive will only be available couple of weeks later after getting the car homologated.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Kiasu King
I don't think DDC is a must have in Singapore. I opted for the Integral Active Steering as my current E60 has active steering and I am loving it because it makes the car a lot easier to drive. I have driven an E60 without active steering (only servotronic) and the feeling is not what I like (may be because I am so used to active steering.). So, between DDC and IAS, my advice is to go for the IAS.
Thanks. Didn't opt for the VDC in the end. Other than when the E60 first came out, I have not tried an AS equipped car. The standard servotronic although heavy, was fine by me. Did opt for the sports automatic transmission though.

Quick Reply: F10 for Singaporeans